BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 Stock Non Destructive Reversible Pinning

so i just got my lower and i had seen these 2 threads below which got me thinking of how i could pin my stock without having to drill it...after watching a couple videos (see below) showing the operation and dis-assembly process i found the design of the stock to be a little different than the magpul stocks but i figured i would try to figure out how to disable the latch system so you wouldn't be able to squeeze the handle to disengage the pin that locks the stock into the notch in the receiver extension...below is what i did...all it took was a 1/8" allen wrench and a piece of old 3/4" OD vinyl tubing...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...TR-ACS-stock-non-collapsable-(without-damage)

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...MAGPUL-STR-NON-DESTRUCTIVE-REVERSIBLE-PINNING

section view of plastic spring...

disassembly video (skip to 2:55)...

disassembled...
C457CEE0-C3C2-4E07-83EE-146BA2473279_zps6bjhyfli.jpg

this is the plastic spring...
E9D8E743-AB4A-44B1-9F18-E1AF65589AB0_zpslvn0b3en.jpg

my piece of vinyl tubing was from a junky sandblaster which is why it isn't clear...it also seems to be a little thicker walled than the new tubing i bought for the sandblaster...
93532EA9-FBA6-4318-A118-E153CAA1B773_zpsgqsry5dy.jpg

place the piece of tubing at the highest point of the curved part of the plastic spring...
B178B8C3-F22D-4499-9EF9-E2A919059619_zpsfnecerur.jpg

to put it back together slide the biggest part of the stock back onto the receiver extension and line it up in the desired notch for the setting that you want...hook the spring back into the pin that locks into the receiver extension and put both back into place on the stock...then hook the latch back onto the front of the stock with the vinyl tubing in place then push the back part of the latch back into place and squeeze till its home...done...you can't squeeze the latch to disengage the locking pin...to change the setting the latch will have to be disassembled and to do that you would have to remove the butt pad part since you probably don't want to pry on that little sling tab with an allen wrench to pop the latch off...if you don't re-install the sling tab it would be doable though

here is my trial run of re assembly to see if it would work before installing it back on the receiver extension...
096A21DA-CE4B-48DD-852F-F4F8216EB358_zpsvfskerss.jpg

F02D860E-1F59-40FA-B2B2-7D40F565C348_zps1ng8y8eu.jpg

here it is installed...
F67B3E47-D10C-439A-B0E3-8626CB4700A2_zps28733lvf.jpg

052AA389-8FB2-4BA0-876E-97A28F99EA18_zpsefkja1ak.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if you got yourself into trouble where you rifles would fall under inspection for AWB issues would they pass as a "pinned" stock? I'm just curious if this would pass if scrutinized?

So how did this work out in the long run? Thinking of doing the same. Ever think of just dropping a pin of some sort in the little whole and screwing the ends on? Wont be able to press the stock to collapse it and would require a tool to remove the pin. Was thinking of doing this until I seen your post.

it worked great...you can't tell it wasn't pinned unless you looked really closely at it...and you could change the length with tools if wanted...i don't think a pin would work...take a look at the video in my post to see how it operates...you have to compress the handle to stick a pin through (unless you drilled the plastic spring) and i think it would rattle...i never really looked into it as this worked fine, doesn't show, doesn't damage it and it's reversible...plus i didn't want anything sticking out of it

Now if you got yourself into trouble where you rifles would fall under inspection for AWB issues would they pass as a "pinned" stock? I'm just curious if this would pass if scrutinized?

not sure...i figure i can remove a pin in a stock just as easily as i can remove this, all it takes are the right tools...right now it can't fold or telescope so i'm satisfied...the awb doesn't state a required method of making it non-telescoping...i also figured technically we are all screwed due to the threaded barrel, right?...it's doesn't have a flash suppressor but technically the barrel is threaded even though the brake is pinned on it, still threaded underneath, right?

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/awfacts.html

The definition of “assault weapon” is the same as the federal law that went into effect on September 13, 1994. Specific guns are banned by name, and guns with certain combinations of features are banned:

a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon ;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

LMAO. [rofl] Good luck finding a clean answer to that. Thankfully it probably wouldn't matter.

-Mike

Your over thinking the threaded barrel part .

i know i'm just playing devil's advocate...i mean why does the brake have to be pinned?...the awb doesn't say it has to be...by pinning it that doesn't really get rid of the threads under it...just means it's not easy to change to another brake...why not just use thread lock?...say it was designed to accommodate a muzzle brake...all this stuff is gray area law

i know i'm just playing devil's advocate...i mean why does the brake have to be pinned?...the awb doesn't say it has to be...by pinning it that doesn't really get rid of the threads under it...just means it's not easy to change to another brake...why not just use thread lock?...say it was designed to accommodate a muzzle brake...all this stuff is gray area law

The feds said it had to be, but god only knows whether or not MA would adopt those standards in a court of law. In MA red loctite might be enough or you might need a pin and weld, nobody really knows, but most weeble wobbles err on the side of pretending/assuming that the fed standards still apply due to the inherent mimickry of the MA AWB vs the federal AWB, problem is it only imitates it directly in a few minor ways and then after that it goes off the reservation, there isn't an all encompassing laws that absorbs the federal
definitions.

-Mike

The feds said it had to be, but god only knows whether or not MA would adopt those standards in a court of law. In MA red loctite might be enough or you might need a pin and weld, nobody really knows, but most weeble wobbles err on the side of pretending/assuming that the fed standards still apply due to the inherent mimickry of the MA AWB vs the federal AWB, problem is it only imitates it directly in a few minor ways and then after that it goes off the reservation, there isn't an all encompassing laws that absorbs the federal
definitions.

-Mike

ahh that settles that...i assume feds don't say anything about stock pinning?

ahh that settles that...i assume feds don't say anything about stock pinning?

I think they did at one time, I think the ATF tech branch letter dictated that it at least had to require a tool to manipulate it. In production you see varying levels of compliance, of course nowadays the only pinning is done for the gay ban states. S&W's M&P 22 rifle has probably the shittiest pin job out there, any numbskull with a few hand tools can probably dislodge it and return it to normal operation. Other guns though like the M&P 15 use a fake buffer tube that is completely worthless with anything other than a shit stock.

-Mike

I'm not really seeing the risk/reward benefit there.

Living free and not being afraid of your own shadow is a pretty good reward unto and of itself, but if you're the type of person that loses sleep at night over stupid crap like that, then it is probably better for you to 110% obey the law to keep yourself from going bonkers.

It is kind of funny seeing both sides of the equation though. Go to a gun range some guy shows up talks to you starts whining about MA's shitty gun laws, wah wah wah, woe is me, I can't buy this, etc, etc, wah wah wah. (I've heard this for 10 years basically from a shitload of people). That guy shoots his box of ammo, leaves, and another guy comes up and the first thing he says to me is "This M&P 15 22 is pretty cool, but I had to repair the stock, it was stuck open and the magazines only held 10 rounds.... I got my drill out and fixed them both in about 10 minutes. Now you can actually adjust the thing and the mag holds like 20 something rounds. " I just smiled and nodded basically. I never said to him "BUHT DATS EEELEEEGAL" because I think he knows it is, he just frankly didn't give a shit, and I can't say I could blame that guy for feeling that way.

-Mike

Living free and not being afraid of your own shadow is a pretty good reward unto and of itself, but if you're the type of person that loses sleep at night over stupid crap like that, then it is probably better for you to 110% obey the law to keep yourself from going bonkers.

It is kind of funny seeing both sides of the equation though. Go to a gun range some guy shows up talks to you starts whining about MA's shitty gun laws, wah wah wah, woe is me, I can't buy this, etc, etc, wah wah wah. (I've heard this for 10 years basically from a shitload of people). That guy shoots his box of ammo, leaves, and another guy comes up and the first thing he says to me is "This M&P 15 22 is pretty cool, but I had to repair the stock, it was stuck open and the magazines only held 10 rounds.... I got my drill out and fixed them both in about 10 minutes. Now you can actually adjust the thing and the mag holds like 20 something rounds. " I just smiled and nodded basically. I never said to him "BUHT DATS EEELEEEGAL" because I think he knows it is, he just frankly didn't give a shit, and I can't say I could blame that guy for feeling that way.

-Mike

What is up with the 10 RD 22 mags lol. Some of them you look at and its like begging to be fixed . I forget what brand it is but if you try really hard to load a 11th td it pops then you can get 20 or 25 in it.

Just got s BCM stock, looking to get creative with “pinning” and found this thread.

Figured I’d resurrect it for the useful info, but mostly for the inevitable pant-shitting comments and AWB arguments.

I saw another method using a piece of hard plastic tubing to jam the sliding mechanism. You need a tool (a screwdriver) to undo. Certainly non-destructive but anybody’s guess if it’s statutorily satisfactory.

Back
Top Bottom