• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BCM Barrel Trouble

Hardwired

NES Member
I had trouble getting a bolt to close on a new BCM barrel (5.56 NATO mid).
Bolt was not closing whether I had the Go gauge (.223) or nothing in the chamber.

I tried the bolt which is one of the NiB BCGs from the GB in my carbine upper and functioned normally with both gauges. Put it back in the BCM and after cycling it a few timed with a push it started closing but needs a push to close. Closes on the Go gauge (or empty) with slight push to complete closing. Was figuring new barrel and bolt was the reason for the tightness.

After inspecting the bolt I notice a corner of one of the splines (front left in photo) appears to be hitting and lost a little material. Does not look or feel right to me.

What might be the interference issue? Feed ramps on the barrel?
What should be my next course of action.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I'd check the barrel and make sure there isn't any thing in it. I had a similar problem when I first assembled by rifle. After cycling it a few times the BCG now snaps into place without a lot of effort or need to use the forward assist.

Maybe get in touch with BCM?

Imo their support sucks. I'm still PO'ed about the crappy blem upper they wouldn't accept a return on. They'll just tell me it's the BCG and nothing wrong with their barrel. Should have went with a Daniel Defense barrel for this build. Live and learn.

Last edited:
I'd check the barrel and make sure there isn't any thing in it. I had a similar problem when I first assembled by rifle. After cycling it a few times the BCG now snaps into place without a lot of effort or need to use the forward assist.

I saw some red lock tite strands hanging in the barrel extension. I'll getting rid of them and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I think it was a bur on the barrel extension portion. Its difficult to see in there with the barrel installed and I don't want to really have to remove the barrel again and have to re-torque and align the rail. I'll try digging out a magnifier and a mirror to get a better look.

I tried my other bolt that has some rounds on it and it closed ok with no hangup.
I think I must have mashed the burr after cycling the NiB bolt. I assume the mar on the NiB bolt tooth edge isn't going to affect anything - do you guys agree?

Back
Top Bottom