• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BBQ chicken, reheat?

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Very remotely a survival topic.

Tonight I am grilling a bunch of chicken for a dinner tomorrow night. I'm planning on refrigerating it. The host would prefer to have it served warm.

But there isn't an oven or anything at the site. She's proposed a couple of Sterno cans under the pan. I'm not sure that will help it much.

I could heat it up at work before I leave, but I'd have to keep it warm for a couple hours. Worried about the safety of doing that.

Advice?

if it's already cooked, you're good to go. we do it all the time, cook a bunch of chicken, various sauces, fridge it, then heat it up in microwave or in oven (low)

just make sure it's moist when you take it off the grill, don't hockey puck it (as my wife says)

Tough to keep it warm for long.

Sterno will work, but you will want to make sure there is something on the bottom to keep it moist, bbq sauce, broth, something. And stir occasionally.

Tough to keep it warm for long.

Sterno will work, but you will want to make sure there is something on the bottom to keep it moist, bbq sauce, broth, something. And stir occasionally.

I also wouldn't fire the pan you put the chicken in with Sterno directly. Put another pan or foil tray with water in it below. It will act like a chaffing dish.

The site has no microwave, no firepit, nothing? Well, if you are driving there, you can heat up the chicken on top of the hot engine after you get there. Just keep it tightly covered so engine grime doesn't get into the food.

Back
Top Bottom