• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BB/Pellet GUN

Was wondering where can I get a good powerful pellet gun.I had a daisy and it sucked.Then went with a Crossman but had to keep pumping and it broke.Are there any good models out there for around $100.00

Most Walmarts have a great selection of 1000 fps + pellet rifles. I had a crossman and I loved it, I messed it up really bad but we wont get into that... I have been buying ammo from Walmart a lot recently and I noticed different walmarts have different selections. However any of the 1000fps rifles that are break-barrel are great, no pumping involved, just break the barrel and use it as a lever to set the piston, put your pellet in, then close the barrel and your good to go. They will do some serious damage to squirrels, or whatever it is you choose to shoot with one.

Oh and I bought mine at a walmart years ago for $99. They have some really interesting looking ones now, some are modeled after high power rifles or some futuristic looking stuff. I would say check out walmart, but if you want a really high end one, a big name in air rifles is beeman and they are simply the best IMO.

I've got an older break-action Gamo Hornet from Walmart. I've had it for a couple of years now and I love it. Cheap target practice and plenty powerful enough for squirrel and popping cans, etc. I'm not sure if they still make the Gamo Hornet, but I can't see going wrong with an pellet rifle from Gamo.

For about $150, you can find the Gamo Big Cat or Silent Cat. This is a .22 caliber air rifle. This is important because you can shoot nice heavy 14.3 grain Crossman Premier pellets under the speed of sound. (no loud crack) In the Silent Cat, the impact with your backstop is louder than the gun.

It comes with a serviceable scope, but do yourself a favor and get the Bugbuster scope (about $50) at some point. The parallax adjustment is important for the close ranges you use an air rifle.

When you do your job, the guns are able to easily keep all the shots within a 1" square at 25 meters.

It is a spring air design. You use the entire barrel as a lever to cock the gun. You then single load the pellets before closing the barrel.

Couple of things with Spring Air guns:

1) Learn and practice the "Artillery Hold": http://www.pyramydair.com/article/The_artillery_hold_June_2009/63

Basically, you don't try to hold the gun still, but rather allow it to move naturally every time. The reason is due to the fact that there are 2 recoils to a spring gun and you can not hold tight enough to damp them before the pellet leaves the barrel.

2) Strip, debur, lube, and basically 'finish' the piston and the tube it runs in before you fire your first shot: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/tag/tuned-airgun/

In this case, you want to smooth all the parts to eliminate burrs and other friction/cutting surfaces. It is not uncommon for the main piston seal to be cut by these burrs during manufacturing, so you want to also examine the seal. Then, before you put it all back together, lube it properly.

3) Don't shoot the heavy pellets. Anything much over 16 grains is really too large. Puts a lot of strain on the seal and raises the chamber temps high. Leave the heavy loads for the pneumatic guns.

4) Avoid detonation - grease or oil in the front of the piston will ignite. This will ruin a gun. If the report is louder at times, that is detonation. Store the gun barrel up to prevent oils from collecting in the chamber.

5) Never ever dry fire - the piston needs the air cushion that the pellet creates to keep it from slamming into the breech.

Air gunning has become a pretty serious art, and there is a lot of good info out there if you are interested. I have about $300 total invested now in my Gamo with special grease, replacement trigger, high quality spring, and such. It makes shooting precise shots out to about 150 feet fairly simple. I know that anything within that range will be struck within a half inch circle of my point of aim.

If you want a really high-end airgun, you get on Quackenbush's waiting list.

... but if you want a really high end one, a big name in air rifles is beeman and they are simply the best IMO.
Unfortunately, Beeman sold out, the name appears on a lot of made-in-china products, I think only "Beeman Precision" (Weihrauch) is still made in Germany.

Was wondering where can I get a good powerful pellet gun.I had a daisy and it sucked.Then went with a Crossman but had to keep pumping and it broke.Are there any good models out there for around $100.00
Depends, what is the application?

If you want quality that will last, spend a little more. Take a look at Pyramyd Air, for example, nitro-piston rifles in .22 caliber start at $150.

Unfortunately, Beeman sold out, the name appears on a lot of made-in-china products, I think only "Beeman Precision" (Weihrauch) is still made in Germany.

Oh man really? That is too bad if they did, they made truly amazing competition grade pellet rifles. Every one I used was a top quality product, though it has been 5 or so years since I have used one. I always wanted to buy one but they were top dollar.

There is a article in field and stream about pellet guns this month.
100$ is a tough area.
For the sub 100$ range all these guns listed have done well by me. A little air forum search and you canes find easy tune up mods. Pellet sellection helps a lot.
From the pile of cheap air guns I have.... no particular order.
Daisy red Ryder.....accurate no fun yes.
Daisy 880 with just a few simple modes and JSB pellets accurate enough to be fun.
Crosman 1077 great little gun with kodiak pellets this set up will show your lack of fundementals @ 10 meters.
I have a old school crosman pump 760 also a great gun for 50$
That said my favorite guns from my bunch not in the 100$ range..... I gave up on break barrel springers by the way.
Crosman 1400 multipump have to find them used 22 Cal.
Benjamin 392 or 397
Benjamin discovery love this little gun. Entry level Pcp.

The best springer I ever had was the anschutz 380 Side cocker. I find if you put a lot of rounds down range. The pivot and lock of a break barrel up suffer quickly making it hard to repeat a shot with a scope as its mounted to receiver. The better break barrels last longer RWS was good just never got into it.
Good luck and have fun. If your looking for a target gun my friend bought the single pump daisy 853 through the cmp and it is darn good for the money. Sights are pretty good also. His son has been able to shoot several clean targets with it so it is capable

Last edited:
i second the idea of checking at walmart first, and look into the gamo products. i purchased a gamo pt-85 semi-auto blow-back pistol for about $70.00. i don't know how long it will stand up, but so far it's been a terrific back-yard plinker

For the largest selection where you can actually touch them, go to BassPro. I suspect you can get a lot better pricing online, but you can at least see and touch a large number of pellet guns including some pricey ones.

I bought a RWS 52 from a co-worker a long time ago. Great gun, very expensive but very accurate and fun. Sadly it needs repair and I've never gotten around to finding an appropriate place to send it to and shipping it off.

PCP

For more suggestions, see the [thread=209123]ancient thread[/thread].

http://www.airforceairguns.com/AirForce-Airguns-Utiltiy-Rifles-s/1.htm They ARE NOT in the $100 range! They look bad ass and i have wanted one for a long time. However its a lot of cake to drop for an air rifle.
If you think Airforce guns are expensive, you haven't looked at the big bore custom rifles :)

Here's my integrally suppressed Talon-SS:View attachment 106189
attachment.php

Many a critter would agree, A fine choice indeed.
I have had none that disagreed !!!
Talon-SS H.4121 ok ????? (The no Scotchbrite clause) [rofl]

P1010956.jpg P1010957.jpg

Goes through a 2x4, and is very quiet

Last edited:
Just found this post and was wondering what rifle you guys would buy/have bought in the under $400 range.. I've been looking at the Gamo's and Benjamin Nitro pistons in various models so far. I want a nitro piston .22 and curious what the best one in this price range is for plinking up to at most 50yds. What pellets are you using for the best accuracy? Not alot of experience in air rifles and there is alot of deception in advertizing of these various rifles so I'm looking for people who shoot these regularly and have them very well dialed in.

Just found this post and was wondering what rifle you guys would buy/have bought in the under $400 range. I've been looking at the Gamo's and Benjamin Nitro pistons in various models so far. I want a nitro piston .22 and curious what the best one in this price range is for plinking up to at most 50yds. What pellets are you using for the best accuracy? Not alot of experience in air rifles and there is alot of deception in advertizing of these various rifles so I'm looking for people who shoot these regularly and have them very well dialed in.
Definitely check out Pyramyd Air, and especially their airgun reviews blog. For your purposes, I wouldn't focus on velocity ratings, but instead look for reviews reporting reliability and accuracy.

Airgun pellets are difficult to make blanket recommendations on, the .22 pellet that my rifle likes may perform abysmally in yours. Best option is to take advantage of Pyramyd's standard Buy-3-Get-1-Free offer and pick up 8 different tins of pellets, figure out what your gun likes, and then stock up on those, save the rest for plinking soda cans.

In that price range, I have Gamo, Hatsan, and Benjamin (among others); if I had to choose from these 3 to stay within a budget, I would go with Benjamin.

JSB seem to work well or better in every rifle I have. although the crosman premier you buy from crosman in the cardboard box really do well in my discovery to about 50 yards.
If you look on the back of the jsb tins they will have a number on them. Some pellets list this number. even though they are. 177 or 22 Cal. it is the head dia. Some pellet guns like tight fitting pellets some don't. If you test enough pellets you will find ones that shoot great. The key is being able to score a large quantity of the same.

I had a very bad squirrel problem a few years back with squirrels destroying wood trim on my house, so I ended up buying a Gamo Bone Collector, which definitely lived up to its name. I had a Crossman previously that would wound, but not kill, and even though I wanted these critters gone, I don't like watching living things suffer so something more powerful was in order. I think the Gamo I have is rated at something like 1300fps with PBA ammo, and has a huge built in suppressor, which is awesome for someone like me that lives in a residential area. I could play sniper out my upstairs windows and have no one be the wiser.[wink] haven't used it in awhile, but it was well worth the investment.

Just found this post and was wondering what rifle you guys would buy/have bought in the under $400 range.. I've been looking at the Gamo's and Benjamin Nitro pistons in various models so far. I want a nitro piston .22 and curious what the best one in this price range is for plinking up to at most 50yds. What pellets are you using for the best accuracy? Not alot of experience in air rifles and there is alot of deception in advertizing of these various rifles so I'm looking for people who shoot these regularly and have them very well dialed in.
there are a lot of 400$ pellet guns. end use is key. for general plinking out to 50 yards you don't need to spend 400$

there are a lot of 400$ pellet guns. end use is key. for general plinking out to 50 yards you don't need to spend 400$

most of the ones I'm looking at are under $300 realistically. the more I read about the Gamo's and Benjamin's the more I realize there are going to be alot of +/-'s for each and probably no clear cut superior model.

most of the ones I'm looking at are under $300 realistically. the more I read about the Gamo's and Benjamin's the more I realize there are going to be alot of +/-'s for each and probably no clear cut superior model.

This is my old school crosman 1400 multipump in 22cal. I love these guns plenty accurate and powerful also. The Benjamin 392 0r 397 are also decent and can be easily upgraded for trigger and power if needed. In not a hug fan of any springer or piston gun. Dont be fooled by velocity either speed kills in pellet guns. The multi pumps are great for plinking. few pumps and you can shoot inside all pumps and you can reach out there. I can hit the 2" spinner with 5 pumps with my crosman 1400 7 out 0f 10 shots.... if you want to jump into the PCP game the benjamin discovery is pretty good also. This has a custom stock. It took a little trigger tweaking and barrel band shimming to get it shooting consistently.

If your dead set on the piston/springer I favor the RSW line but I have not touched one of the new production ones......i gave up on break barrels not that I didnt have any I liked they just where not for me.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_350_Feuerkraft_Pro_Compact/1502/2690 this looks interesting

I had this one in .22 and with a Bug buster scope it was small varmints worst nightmare.[laugh] http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_34_Breakbarrel_Rifle_T06_Trigger/402

For slightly more ($450 - $500), a Benjamin Marauder PCP in 0.17 or 0.25 is super accurate and quiet. But you need to invest in a pump ($200 - $300) or scuba dive tank (about $300 - $500, depending the types, 4500 PSI is better than 3000 PSI). Marauder's 0.22 has bad reputation avoid it. 0.25 is powerful up to 100 yard for squirrels.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Benjamin Trail NP at the moment.. Seems like a decent rifle for $200 and for shooting off the porch I don't need anything too pricey. as long as its reliable and has decent accuracy I'll have plenty of fun with it.

The Umarex Octane looks to be in the running too although not previously mentioned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom