BB or pellet gun to take down a racoon

I just got my hatsan 125 sniper in 25 cal back from a guy in Ohio. He “tuned “ it up for me. I’m now pushing a 26 grain pellet 805 FPS through a chronograph. I’m punching holes threw 3/4 plywood at 30 yds ! I’m confident I could drop a deer with a head shot from that distance ! I’d be happy to help you with your sanitation problem !

I just got my hatsan 125 sniper in 25 cal back from a guy in Ohio. He “tuned “ it up for me. I’m now pushing a 26 grain pellet 805 FPS threw a chronograph ! And threw 3/4 plywood at 30 yards ! Not to bad for a break barrel ! I’m confident a could drop a deer with a head shot from that distance ! I’d be happy to help you with your sanitation problem

I like the mouse trap idea. I'd rather not shoot him and if you mdo, he'll probably be replaced by another. Do you own a .22 rifle? If all else fails, get a box of CB caps. I don't think $100.00 will get you the pellet rifle you'd need.

Most raccoon hunters use a .22 rifle or pistol with an optic (maybe not on a pistol, but hey, modern technology). OP from seven years ago lives in RI so a suppressor is not an option, but if you go south or out west, a suppressor is also an option.

Yes, these are the ones I have. I have only once had a raccoon pull out of one on one occasion. He was a big fella, maybe half grizzly bear, but I'm guessing that it just didn't get a really good hold on him. Make sure that you attach the trap solidly to something immovable, because especially once they see you coming, they will thrash like crazy to get loose, and a large, mature raccoon is plenty strong.

Oh, and also be sure to buy the "setting tool," unless you have a grip like a steel trap yourself. I can just barely squeeze these far enough to set the trigger, but it's a struggle to hold it steady enough & long enough to do so. The setting tool gives you enough leverage to easily hold it while you set the trigger, and it's only a few bucks:

https://www.amazon.com/DUKE-ANIMAL-TRAPS-Duke-Proof/dp/B07PQN1SCH

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a gun that could do the job. I took care of the last racoon but thats another story.... My budget is 100. I have seen single shot break breach types, my cousin has one that shoots 1200fps according to the manufacturer. Any suggestions for the gun and type of pellet will be greatly appreciated. It is in my trash about 40 feet from the house. The 760 pumpmaster isn't doing the trick.
Poison bait. Swift. Silent Deadly!

I just got my hatsan 125 sniper in 25 cal back from a guy in Ohio. He “tuned “ it up for me. I’m now pushing a 26 grain pellet 805 FPS threw a chronograph ! And threw 3/4 plywood at 30 yards ! Not to bad for a break barrel ! I’m confident a could drop a deer with a head shot from that distance ! I’d be happy to help you with your sanitation problem
I see you are a fan of small caliber rifles. If you do plan to drop a deer and want to do it with a small caliber rifle, get a Savage Axis .223 and load it with 62 grain soft points. I knew many deer hunters back in Alabama who were successful with that gun and load.

No I don’t want to shoot deer with a pellet rifle , just saying I bet there is enough power there to get the job done. I’m a bow hunter at heart.

No I don’t want to shoot deer with a pellet rifle , just saying I bet there is enough power there to get the job done. I’m a bow hunter at heart.

No.

.22LR, the bare minimum for poaching deer with headshots, which is unethical and illegal, puts out about 130 to 200 ft. lbs. of energy depending on the loading. An eight grain pellet @ 800fps generates 11.37 ft. lbs. of energy.

.22 Long Rifle - Wikipedia

What is Muzzle Energy? | Airgun Depot

This Grizzly .25cal, 31gr hollowpoint hunting air gun pellet produces 29.5 ft. lbs. of energy. That's still paling in comparison to an average .22LR load.

Grizzly .25 cal. » H&N Air Gun Pellets (Hunting)

It’s a 26 gran 25 cal pushing 805 FPS threw the chronograph. If it penetrates 3/4 plywood at 30 yards I also think it would be lights out for big joe.

Back
Top Bottom