• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BB guns?

Not sure of the laws, but there has been a dog roaming my neighborhood periodically that I would like to teach to stay off my property by stinging his butt with BBs. Is that legal?

I wouldn't mind him just trotting through, but he harrassed my dog yesterday when he was tied out on his line, and made a run at a pekingese(sp?) that my retired neighbor was walking, so the poor oild guy had to grab the little dog and retreat. These are not vicious attacks, but they are displays of aggression and dominance. I chased him out of my yeard twice yesterday, but he wasn't really afraid of me. I've called animal control and the guy said he'd swing through the neighborhood, but I don't expect much to happen from that.

What woudl you folks do? I'm thinking the sting of a BB on his butt a couple of times will teach him to stay away. Comments?

Also, if I were to pick up a BB gun, what should I look for? I haven't had one since I was a kid.

I think you shooting a dog with a bb gun is a good way to get yourself thrown in jail.
Let the animal control handle it.

Same problem here a while back. I solved it. Big dog, high threat to children, crapping in yard, and barks. First, I nicely told the neighbor to keep the dog out of my yard.

Second, I used an airsoft. It does far less damage, and gets the point across without big physical or mental anguish to the animal. Keep it covert, don't let anyone in the neighborhood know.

Animal control will just start problems with the neighbor.

I agree. If you do take that route, do not be seen. Someone I know very well, had a similar problem, and used a bb pistol from inside the house (through a window) to take care of the problem.

I would not recommend doing that, however I have a bb gun that works pretty well. At close range, it would probably break the skin, but out to 50ft it would most likely not. I got it at Walmart, it's a CO2 powered, semi auto. I would stay away from air rifles, as they usually have much more power.

Do you have kids? If so, I would think that every time this dog comes into your yard, he is presenting a real problem to your children. We had a similar problem at my house, and every time the dog would come into my yard, I was on the phone with the police, and told them that the animal control officer was not doing anything about it, and the dog was threatening my family (which he was). After about the 3'rd call, the animal control officer started to show up.

Twice we've had similar problems with neighbor's dogs running loose in the area, tearing up the turf, crapping in our yard, or just incessantly barking. Both times we approached the neighbors first and politely explained the problem asking if they'd keep their animals on their own property. In both cases, the dogs' owners were @$$holes and we ended up calling animal control anyway. Neither neighbor was worth trying to be friendly with and we wasted a lot of time not calling out the dog officer.

The nice thing is to talk with the neighbor first. But, having been burned doing that 100% of the time we've tried, we'll call animal control first, or, if the dog is a threat, we'll call the PD. If you're going to own a dog (just like owning a firearm), know the rules and follow them. If you're not going to follow the rules, you should be held accountable for the actions of the animal.

Animal control officers here work part time and the response to complaints is not very swift. However, filing a formal complaint at the municipal center, we've found, gets things going pretty quickly.

Taking shots at the animal will likely put you behind the 8-ball in this process and the outcome won't likely come out in your favor, IMO.

My neighbor's dog used to come into my yard to crap on the lawn. One conversation with said neighbor, several years ago now, and I've never seen the dog in my yard again. Pooch stays in the neighbor's yard.

However... if you don't know who the dog belongs to, that's not gonna work, obviously. Does your town have a leash law?

Yeah, we have a leash law. I wish I knew who owned the dog, but I don't. Not looking to inflict any actual damage to the dog; just repel him from my yard. Aren't there laws that allow a property owner to ward off strays?

Speaking hypothetically, any shot I take would be at least 60-80 feet. What kind of hardware do I want for that?

Emoto said:
What kind of hardware do I want for that?
Daisy_Air_Rifles.jpg

This is the one that I have.

DAY693-1.jpg

Daisy BB Air Pistols CO2 Semi Auto Model 693 449 fps

At about 30' it will sink a BB all the way into ply wood, but out past that, it won't break the skin.

I'd talk to the owner of the dog and if that didn't work I would keep calling the police. It's not really the dog's fault. I have the same issue where I live and I told the wife I'm putting up a fence. There are leash laws and I'm not familiar with them as I do not own a dog, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say in there that if you see a dog not on a leash in your yard you can zap it in the a$$ with a bb gun. I know it's frustrating but just know that if you get caught you will lose all of your guns....and if you still think it's worth taking a shot or two at the dog....do what you have to do.

Adam_MA said:
This is the one that I have.

DAY693-1.jpg

Daisy BB Air Pistols CO2 Semi Auto Model 693 449 fps

At about 30' it will sink a BB all the way into ply wood, but out past that, it won't break the skin.

I have the same one. I murdered a crow with it. I properly disposed of the evidence so no one will ever find the body.

I think far away you would be OK shooting A dog, but I still say an airsoft is the right way to go.

Producer said:
I have the same one. I murdered a crow with it. I properly disposed of the evidence so no one will ever find the body.

LOL
After I seeded a large section of my lawn, I must have taken out 10 birds all stealing seed. My best run, was 3 in one string. One on the ground, and 2 in the air as they were taking off.

BTW. Have you ever considered camping out where the dog can't see you until he's all the way into your yard, and chasing him with the hose? They get pissed, and it discourages them quickly!

Hmm..I dont know, but I dont think I would have said a word about it. Especially on a public forum. I think just covertly "teaching" the dog that he doesnt want to be in your yard would have been a better choice.

Who knows who may be reading these posts and saving them for who knows what reasons.........?

Even though he doesn't know the owner that's all the more reason to call animal control or the police. If the dog has tags they will find the owner. If it was your dog and it got into someone's yard would want them shooting at it? Plus the dog is just being a dog. No reason to shoot at it with bb's for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
do what has to been done but covertly.lwhen I was younger had same problem but his dog would nip/bite.in my yard dog comes for me but I'm ready for him 3 bbs in the head and he didn't want to play anymore. neighbors threatened him and dog dog left town

daceman63 said:
If it was your dog and it got into someone's yard would want them shooting at it? Plus the dog is just being a dog. No reason to shoot at it with bb's for that.

If it were my dog, it wouldn't be going into other people's yards!

daceman63 said:
Plus the dog is just being a dog.
He's not being a dog, he's being a disobident untrained nusence. 100% fault of the owner.

Hey, maybe you should find the owner, and pop a couple BB's into him?! [smile]

You need a 1911 to do the job - a Daisy version:
daisy45.jpg

If that Daisy doesn't do the job, you need a Daisy .22lr

daisy2211r.jpg

Of course with either of these, you'd have to follow the rules of the 3 S's:

Shoot, Shovel, Shutup.

Last edited:
I have 2 shelties they are not allowed to roam free or bark constantly for the reason that a they might get hit injured (one is missing right front leg we adopted him) b my neighbors are either retired or work odd ball hours and I don't wish to deny them their beauty sleep

Producer said:
I still say, Airsoft, or maybe a Super Soaker.

Or... a bigger dog

Airsoft just doesn't have the range, does it?

Our dog is pretty big; probably has at least 20 lbs on the roamer. I think he could hold his own, but what I do not want is some strange dog biting or otherwise harrassing him while he is tied up.

Naturally, I would not want to do anything illegal, but I would like to be able to tie our dog up in my own yard without having to worry.

Use a hose and spray him. It'll still have the desired effect and you won't have to risk having to pay Cross-X or Schrivner alot of $$$.

When my old neighbors asked me why they had not heard from me about their dog getting into trash on trash day all over the 'hood, I answered "We had come to an understanding" Damn that greyhound could still run fast.

Mark your territory :)
I've tried airsoft on the squirrels in my yard with little effect. When hit, sometimes they stop suddenly and look around or take a sudden hop, and then just go back to what they were doing. It takkes multiple hits to really get them moving.....

Back
Top Bottom