Bayonets

Well, since I'm not old enough to own guns, are there restrictions on bayonets/knives? I'm assuming there must be some thing since a bayonet is attached to a firearm, but who knows, maybe there's a loophole there. I'd love to start a collection of WWII era stuff, so I need to start somewhere...I'd like a bayonet but if thats not possible I'm sure I should be able to buy a helmet/ammo can? So, is it legal, and if so, where are good places to check out? Thanks guys!

This is from memory, but check MGLs C. 269 S. 10P for laws on knives, bayonets, etc.

Basically it's legal to own bayonets. But to affix them to guns, only if pre-ban guns is that legal.

Don't know about age restrictions on knives/bayonets, just that most places won't sell them to anyone under 18. Don't know if that is actually law or not. Above referenced section may give a clue, but I'm not sure.

MGLs are all online from MA Gov website.

You might check CMRs as well, some are online, many aren't.

Nothing in that section really talks about bayonets...Knives in general, but with however many different types of knives they go into, you'd think they would have something on or mention bayonets.

Most places will require you to be 18 to purchase edged weapons. This includes bayonets, tactical knives, even folding knives. I've carried a knife ever since I was 14, but it was always a folding knife. As far as I know fixed blade (non folding knives) aren't ok to carry. Double edged blades aren't ok either, neither are automatics, butterflies, or folders with blades longer that 5 inches. Assisted blade opening knives like the new Kersahw and SOG models are legal to own and carry, but with any knife you may have to be 18 depending on where you live. The best thing to do is contact your local police department and ask.
Bayonets are a diferent story. Since they are collectible and normally not carried in public, I think they're ok. You may still have to be 18 in order to buy them. If you do already have some and are 16 or so, I don't think the ATF will be storming your house to drag you away. Gun shows like the Militaria show in June at the Springfield Big E are usually great places to score rare bayonets and tactical military knives such as old military K-Bars, not too mention old photos, ammo cans, GI issued goodies, etc. Antique shops and flea markets will often have a few laying around too and sometimes you can get them for a cheap price depending on condition. Sometimes a rusty old US stamped folding knife will clean up to almost brand new with some steel wool and oil. As long as you don't try and re-sharpen them, old military knives and bayonets are great collectibles and can be worth lots of money. Plus they always go up in value, never down. Try searching some internet sites for forums on collecting. That way you can get an idea on average prices and whats hot right now. It also doesn't hurt to ask old timers you may know. Thats how I got this hard to find Swiss bayonet for $40. [wink]

f880e188.jpg

Wow, great information man, thanks a lot....I definately am going to start a mil-surp collection as soon as I'm out of high school, though I'm trying to find ways to hit the ground running right now...Thanks for the tips, appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom