BAY STATE FIREARMS AND TRAINING----PEABODY??

Anyone been there, I guess they opened sometime in April/May

Was told it is owned by a Peabody Police Officer.

Anyone been there or have any info

THANKS
DOWNWIND

In the bavk of the Hallmark building. Clean, good size place. Friendly staff, moderate selection. I stopped in when I was killing time one day, bought a couple boxes of 22. I would go back.

They're still in the process of building up stock, but the service I've gotten is top notch. I was in yesterday picking up a box or two of carry rounds and mentioned my sights were off a bit and grouping to the left and a bit high. (Thought it might be a bit of a flinch on my end, but the gun consistently shot left over 5-6 people of various experience.) The owner retrieved a sight tool and drifted the sights over right then. I've bought one gun and a few odds and ends from them, but between the service, location relative to me, and competitive pricing, it's definitely on my short list for places to check out.

Owner was a Peabody cop, but is currently a Lynnfield cop IIRC. And as far as shooting the breeze in the shop with a few employees (at least one of whom I know to be on the forum), seems to be strongly pro-2a.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped by this store today not even knowing it was there. The wife was in the same building at a hair salon so I went for a walk. Turned around the corner of the building and boom! Bay State Firearms!

Store was very nice. I've never seen such a clean and well organized gun store anywhere. Ammo selection was very good and the prices were generaly decent. They had a good selection of the typical MA handguns and also had a good selection of ARs.

The staff was awesome. Some of the best staff I've talked to in a gun shop ever.

This place is another great Northshore gun store. They also have a sim range out back that I wasn't able to check out due to it being in use but its something I plan on in the future.

if you're from the northshore check this place out for sure.

I checked the place out over the weekend....super nice staff, very friendly and helpful. I'll do business with them for sure...very close to home too...which could be bad news on my finances.... :)

Yeah they are great guys there, stayed open late one day for me to come over and put an offer on a used gun. Ended up making the deal and couldn't be happier with my purchase and their service. Been back a few times since, its a nice little hidden gem.

New to the gun world. Long time reading of this site but first time posting. I would highly recommend Bay State.
I had been on the lookout for my first handgun a few weeks ago. Looked at the usual dark crowded places and figured why not try out Bay State assuming it would be like all the rest. Went in there on a Friday and was very surprised. They were clean organized everyone wore a bay state firearms uniform shirt. This is something I had not seen in the gun store world all that much. I went in there and was immediately greeted and asked for my LTC when I asked for a gun. I had no problems showing them since it was my first time there. I asked all the usual questions regarding gun laws and what I could and could not own.
I worked with Ray on the first day and mentioned to him I would not be buying a gun that day since I wanted to chat with my girlfriend first considering we live together. He told me it didn’t matter if I bought 1 gun or 10 guns. He spent well over an hour working with me on ammo, gun safes, gun selection cleaning kits the whole bang. I bought everything but the gun that day and felt very comfortable knowing I made the best purchase possible. I never felt pressured to purchase the firearm that day. They worked with me on gun selection and I pretty much knew what I would be going back to get the Ruger SR9 I went back about two weeks later. Ray remembered exactly who I was asked about my girlfriend it was great. I picked up a Ruger SR9 and they made the process very simple for me. I really enjoyed the experience I would recommend. I asked about carrying ammo I asked for the least and most expensive. They explained the difference in ammo and how carry and target ammo differ. I walked out with my Ruger and two boxes of Hornaday critical defense.
I was in there over this weekend asking about the Ruger AR platform they are selling. I mentioned how learning is equally as important as owning a rifle to me. So instead of me buying a rifle then they told me they were going to hold as build an AR class within the next few weeks and that I should call and speak with the owner he could give me dates times and price. I felt like that was very professional. I could have easily been talked into the Ruger AR but instead now I will be building my AR. Like I said I am new to the gun world but really do feel the group of people at Bay State are professional and genuine. They make the process easy. This is now my go to store for pretty much everything.

Another bump for Baystate Firearms. I was in there last week and witnessed something extraordinary. An old timer came in with a S&W 1911 that was like new in the box and all. Didn't put even a full box of ammo through it and complained it was too heavy for him and wanted to swap it even for a new Shield + a holster. The owner looked it over and said no, I can't do that because the gun you're trading in is worth a lot more than the one you want to trade it for and he can't take advantage of him like that!

When is the last time you heard something like that?? A lot of stores would have fallen over themselves and gladly taken that deal without a second thought but these guys said no, that wouldn't be right. They ended up giving him the new gun + holster + a bunch of ammo, cleaning kit, etc etc to make up the difference in value of his trade in and the old timer was thrilled!

Can't say enough good about these guys and I couldn't let that story go untold, it needed to be shared with the community so they know what a stand-up shop Baystate is!

Oh and they had a nice pile of ammo on the shelves too. Plenty of 22 (aguila, CCI, remington, wolf target, etc), 9mm, 40, 38, 357, 223, 7.62x54R (commercial), 308 win, 44, shotgun, etc.

Big thumbs up for these guys, they did a firearm shipment/transfer out of state which was a real pain, the receiving FFL was very difficult and the Baystate guys were very helpful with multiple phone calls and emails to the receiving FFL.

They also have a much improved selection since opening the store, nice selection of firearms now.

Staff is great location is good bought here and will buy again in the future recommend stopping by and check it out.

This my absolute go to shop these days. Have done a bunch of transfers and bought a couple guns here. My girlfriend even took the safety class there. Going there this weekend to pick up my next purchase.

Staff is extremely helpful and unlike other stores, (gun and non gun related) if they don’t know something, they will admit it, take your number, and call you back with an answer.

Highly recommend this shop

Waiting for 357 sig x change kit for my p320. Checking out ammo prices. Stopped in here the other day and they have Sig ammo for a buck a box cheaper the Wal-Mart! Even if they were a little more than Wal-Mart, I will be buying from them. Got to support GOOD local dealers.

Just remember, Baystate Firearms != Baystate Arms. The later being defunct, and not having any where near the good reputation of the former.

Just remember, Baystate Firearms != Baystate Arms. The later being defunct, and not having any where near the good reputation of the former.
2 different company's with different staff ray is real helpfull baystate firearms in Peabody is great don't know about the other.

Sold a firearm here on consignment. Staff was friendly, location seemed to get walk in business so it seemed like it was worth a shot. They told me they charge 18% commission. Left the firearm with them, and then didn't hear anything for a month.

When I finally decided to go take it back, I went into the store and was told it sold at some point but they didn't know when. No communication with me. I was told I had to wait until the first of the month for my check, but I could come in that day to pick it up.

Came in on the 1st, no check, but they told me it would be ready later and they'd call me. No communication, so I called back the next day and that told me the same. Day three, I called and now they had mailed the check that I told them I would pick up in person.

When I finally received my check, 21% had been taken out. Despite the salesman telling me it was 18% commission, this apparently did not include a 3% fee for the buyer paying by credit card, which was not a negligible amount on the price of my firearm.

Gave these guys a chance despite having good luck with a nearby competitor. Won't make that mistake again.

Last edited:
from their website:
To our loyal customers and friends:
It is with a heavy heart that Baystate Firearms is announcing we will be ceasing all retail sales at our Peabody location effective Monday September 17, 2018. We have been forced to make this difficult decision due to higher operating costs and heavy state regulations. Baystate will, however, continue to operate our online store and will continue to offer Firearms Safety Classes on a regular basis.

The retail location will be open Saturday, September 15th 10am to 6pm, Sunday September 16th 10am to 3pm and Monday September 17th from 10am to 6pm for your shopping convenience. Please stop in and get those items you may want and talk to your favorite staff member.
Effective October 1, 2018, will be available only by appointment to conduct firearm sales and transfers and special orders with the use of our website.
I personally want to thank all of our customers and friends for your patronage and support over these years.
Ray Barnes

Back
Top Bottom