Battlefield Touring

ridleyman

NES Member
A buddy of mine and I, both retired teachers, would like to check out some Revolutionary and/or Civil War battlefields in the central Atlantic states. I've already seen most everything in New England and New York, so we were hoping to make it to some combination of VA, WV, PA, TN, and KY. We're allowing ourselves 5 days, which is the furlough my wife gave me, so we won't be able to see too much. However, I'm both capable and comfortable driving long distances super early or late, so we can maximize time. I need to go back to work early next year, so Vietnam this past September (awesome trip, and cheap!), short family getaways, and this are it.

If you have any suggestions for battlefields, museums, and places to stay and eat they will be most appreciated!

Valley forge PA, manassas VA.
Batle of Antietam MD, but thay is not the towns name, it is sharpsburg now.
I suppose gettysburg is on your list already.
if you go valley forge to gettysburg to antietam to manassas you will be happy. And it is an easily traveled route. If you have time/energy make the drive to ft sumter sc.
Also if you in VA you can visit Robert E Lee museum, stonewall jacksonhouse. Both in lexington.

'Union jacks on the Manatwany' in boyertown, PA is a great place for food and drinks.

Last edited:
I'll run a UCAP recap when I get back in May of 2021. (Just noticed I printed 2121 above. LOL. Not waiting THAT long. I'd go next Spring but we are flat-out and it's a 4-day trip.)

Gettysburg is a two day trip if you actually want to see the whole battlefield. Highly recommend taking your time there, since there's so much to see.

Yorktown, VA is an easy one to do in one day. Plus there's Williamsburg and Jamestown to experience in the same relatively small area.

There's not a whole lot to see, and it tends to be just a small footnote in most history books, but I would recommend going to see the Fort Necessity battlefield in south-western PA. It's worth seeing the place where the French and Indian War, the first real world war, began. I haven't been there since they opened the new visitor center, but I hear it's quite nice.

Back
Top Bottom