• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

battle belt info

headednorth

NES Member
Im looking for a battle belt set up for rifle classes. I know theres a gear thread thats a mile long and tbh, I didnt want to wade through piles of posts about chest rigs, plate carriers, etc, to find a tidbit about belts. (what can I say? Hope Im not being one of those guys)

Anyway, looking for something basic for rifle classes- belt, suspenders, mag pouches for rifle and pistol, dump pouch, holster, and maybe some kind of utility pouch for water, phone, whatever. Seems to be a good spread price-wise among the handful of sites Ive looked at. I dont want to get stuck with junk but dont want to pay for a nametag either.

-Whats a decent brand for a guy looking to take 2-3 classes a year?

-As far as mag pouches go, just by eye, it looks like some have a bit more heft to them making them more of a box than a pouch. Meaning down the road, they look like theyll stay open rather then getting broken in and getting all floppy. True or no?

-Kydex holsters? Seems like most are made to slip over a duty belt rather than these type of belts. Is there some sort of adapter that will let me attach the holster to the webbing on the belt?

-Med kit. I have no medical training under my belt what-so-ever. Should I even bother putting a kit together for something I wont know what to do with? Would like to find some basic first aid course eventually.

-Mix and match? Any lower priced components that are perfectly fine while others I should spend the dough? Iow, is a cobra buckle a cobra buckle but a Taco pouch is worth the extra $20 vs someone elses pouch?

-Chest rigs vs belts? Do people prefer one over the other or use both?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Use the search tool inside of that thread. It will be worth your time.

Dude, Ive been here like 4 yrs and never knew you could search a specific thread. Thanks.

Hopefully people still will respond here as well.

What do these classes require you to do? If you're built like me and every infantry guy I served with, you'll want bulkier items up high for shooting prone and, more importantly, for jumping and rolling around on the ground. So if you're IMTing, a nice tightly-cinched LBE or a chest rig might serve you better than anything you wear at your waistline.

When I was new to the army, I wore all my stuff low and felt cool, like a surfer. Very soon I cinched my suspenders up tight. You figure these things out quickly. Now that I'm a civilian, my very modest SHTF setup is a chest rig. Even the Army is, I think, using modular vests now.

Dude, Ive been here like 4 yrs and never knew you could search a specific thread. Thanks.

Hopefully people still will respond here as well.

This has been working pretty well for me. Vtac belt and suspenders. Tacos and a dump pouch

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 47
What do these classes require you to do? If you're built like me and every infantry guy I served with, you'll want bulkier items up high for shooting prone and, more importantly, for jumping and rolling around on the ground. So if you're IMTing, a nice tightly-cinched LBE or a chest rig might serve you better than anything you wear at your waistline.

When I was new to the army, I wore all my stuff low and felt cool, like a surfer. Very soon I cinched my suspenders up tight. You figure these things out quickly. Now that I'm a civilian, my very modest SHTF setup is a chest rig. Even the Army is, I think, using modular vests now.

Nothing all that advanced. Shooting from different positions, transitioning from rifle to pistol, engaging multiple targets, malf drills...

Took a class maybe a year and a half ago with no gear. Had mags stuffed in pants pockets, it was a pain in the ass.

I guess an option would be a chest rig with a holster on my regular belt. Im at square one so all I really know is I need something to hold mags at the very least.

- - - Updated - - -

This has been working pretty well for me. Vtac belt and suspenders. Tacos and a dump pouch

That looks like something I could use. Would like to keep it simple.

Back
Top Bottom