• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Batons

I was always told if you kept a baseball bat close by, make sure you have a glove and ball.

Improvised weapons can hide in plain sight

my "go to" has always been a 5 D cell maglight, although I have a smaller C cell LED one too.

If you have ever seen a L.E.O. use one in a iffy situation, you will notice they hold it high, at shoulder level or just above, and they grasp it just in back of the bulb housing leaving the battery compartment over their shoulder.

When push comes to shove, when that thing gets swung, it is a formidable weapon

And MagLite sells nice little holders that secure the light into an accessible location.

View attachment 332359

View attachment 332360

OP needs a real flashlight, not this sissy one! [laugh2][laugh2]

View: https://youtu.be/PCytQG2mc8w

My vote is for the mag light. It’s like a hollowed out wooden baseball bat with a cork in it. You’re guaranteed to hit a home run.

A buddy of mine got pinched in high school with a police baton, and it definitely messed up his chances of college and a real job along with the other stupid crap he got caught with.

Also a baseball bat hit anywhere above the waist counts as assault with a deadly weapon. The mag light looks unassuming and packs a punch and is easy to grip. Also it’s actually practical, although other shillelaghs people mentioned serve various practical uses as well.

A 16 to 18" piece of 1/2" hydraulic hose works good I keep one under the front seat so far no need to use it. It is a used one with a fitting on each end. There is so much crap in my truck it blends right in.

I have my Grandfathers Black Thorn Shillelagh at home, maybe on my next trip north I'll bring it south with me

91PBSH.jpg
I have a blackthorn that my mother in law got me and it would do some damage. I keep a rubber tip on the bottom to protect the copper tip.

Whatever you choose, be well versed in using it as a self defense tool or it may just be used against you.

My vote is for the mag light. It’s like a hollowed out wooden baseball bat with a cork in it. You’re guaranteed to hit a home run.

A buddy of mine got pinched in high school with a police baton, and it definitely messed up his chances of college and a real job along with the other stupid crap he got caught with.

Also a baseball bat hit anywhere above the waist counts as assault with a deadly weapon. The mag light looks unassuming and packs a punch and is easy to grip. Also it’s actually practical, although other shillelaghs people mentioned serve various practical uses as well.

Where did you get this incredibly bad information?

Lot of states, MA included, carrying a baton is a felony if you’re not LE and on the clock at the time. It’s not worth it, they suck anyway, don’t waste your time and freedom.
Nope. It is a felony to have one, or have one under your control (ie. in you vehicle) during the commission of a crime. Otherwise, perfectly legal in MA.
Still a good point though, always be aware of the laws where you might be passing through.
On the bat suggestion, I have heard it said that if you plan to keep one in your vehicle, do your lawyer a favor and throw a glove and ball in there too. I imagine the same would apply to carrying around a 3’ 15 pound breaker bar, it might be smart to have a socket or two alongside it.

Where did you get this incredibly bad information?

That’s completely factual information I researched on the internet. I found some credible sources it checks out I’m putting it out there to help my boys on NES so no one does anything rash.

Nope. It is a felony to have one, or have one under your control (ie. in you vehicle) during the commission of a crime. Otherwise, perfectly legal in MA.
Still a good point though, always be aware of the laws where you might be passing through.
On the bat suggestion, I have heard it said that if you plan to keep one in your vehicle, do your lawyer a favor and throw a glove and ball in there too. I imagine the same would apply to carrying around a 3’ 15 pound breaker bar, it might be smart to have a socket or two alongside it.

Of note though, it is also a felony charge if in possession during a ‘breach or disturbance of the peace’, which is very broad ranging and pretty much still guarantees a felony charge even in self defense when the man shows up and locks up both parties for mutual combat, letting the court sort it out. Situations will vary and you may win in court 2 yrs later, but was the time and money worth it?

That’s completely factual information I researched on the internet. I found some credible sources it checks out I’m putting it out there to help my boys on NES so no one does anything rash.

Cite please.

Even if someone kicked you in the shin with shoes on it is by written law an AB/DW. There are no green/yellow or red zones for baseball bats.

If you strike someone with a bat anywhere it’s an AB/DW. Possibly even upgrading to assault with intent to murder depending on the situation and circumstances.

Cite please.

Even if someone kicked you in the shin with shoes on it is by written law an AB/DW. There are no green/yellow or red zones for baseball bats.

If you strike someone with a bat anywhere it’s an AB/DW. Possibly even upgrading to assault with intent to murder depending on the situation and circumstances.
Darn I couldn’t find it right now may take a little digging but I agree with the kicking especially to the head thats definitely attempted murder in most cases.

Darn I couldn’t find it right now may take a little digging but I agree with the kicking especially to the head thats definitely attempted murder in most cases.

No, it’s not. I’m not trying to bust your balls, you seem like a good kid and I believe you heard something somewhere about ‘above the waste/below the waste’ or whatever, but that’s just patently false, bad info.

Someone either lied to you or they also mistakenly believe it to be true or you’re just not remembering it accurately.

Regardless I don’t think that information will cause NES’rs to run out and start attacking people below the waist thinking it’s only a misdemeanor now.

Of note though, it is also a felony charge if in possession during a ‘breach or disturbance of the peace’, which is very broad ranging and pretty much still guarantees a felony charge even in self defense when the man shows up and locks up both parties for mutual combat, letting the court sort it out. Situations will vary and you may win in court 2 yrs later, but was the time and money worth it?
Absolutely true. Don’t let yourself get any ideas in your head about being safe from such bullshit by opting to throw an aluminum bat in your backseat either though.
Putting all that aside, none of that amounts to f**k-all IMO. That same logic would tell me I shouldn’t carry concealed because I’m too worried about potentially legal complications. May as not even own any guns on account of the inherent legal risks.
I say F that. If you feel a baton is your best option for self defense in a given scenario, and it is legal where you are going, then bring three of the damn things. Or, you could play it safe and just pack a nice loud rape whistle...

Pick up a ball peen hammer from harbor freight
Harbor Freight = the Hi-Point of hammers. Probably shouldn’t rely on one of those in an emergency...

(ok, ok, settle down cheap-skates, it was just a joke. I am sure there is at least a 75% chance a HF hammer would get the job done with falling to pieces)

Sort of like having sex with a horse may be a misdemeanor, but conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor is a felony in CA. (no fair Googling for where that quote came from; it's a classic)
Get yourself a long rubber Johnson from the adult store. If you get into any trouble just start screaming like a silly --- and swinging that thing around.I will bet you it
will work,
Cite please on the statute of making someone laugh themselves to death.

Get yourself a long rubber Johnson from the adult store. If you get into any trouble
just start screaming like a silly --- and swinging that thing around.I will bet you it
will work,
If you do that, make sure it's the tactical model.

The tactical version is Black.

Much more frightening - and longer too.

Sort of like having sex with a horse may be a misdemeanor, but conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor is a felony in CA. (no fair Googling for where that quote came from; it's a classic)

Cite please on the statute of making someone laugh themselves to death.
A Dirty Harry movie when he is questioning Tyne Daly but the title isn't coming to me.
The rest of it was hilarious...what laws were broken other than cruelty to animals.

No, it’s not. I’m not trying to bust your balls, you seem like a good kid and I believe you heard something somewhere about ‘above the waste/below the waste’ or whatever, but that’s just patently false, bad info.

Someone either lied to you or they also mistakenly believe it to be true or you’re just not remembering it accurately.

Regardless I don’t think that information will cause NES’rs to run out and start attacking people below the waist thinking it’s only a misdemeanor now.
Yes you're right I actually think it's false I read it on the comments section of a video awhile ago but I definitely can't find anything about it now.

Back
Top Bottom