• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Batman Rises (Spoiler Warning - contains important plot details)

Went to go see Batman Rises today, and while I wasn't expecting to see a survival based film, I thought that it contains some very important and relavent topics.

Namily, what an urban enviornment would look like in the event of a collapse of esential services.

Streets ruled by thugs with guns.
Ownership of the property immediately made people targets.
Sentensing "trials" held for those whose only crime was being wealthy.
Food and supplies trucked in from outside in controlled, guarded convoys becoming flash points for fights and violence.

It was only a small part of the movie, but I found the imagry perticularly effective.

Anyone else?

dude.... REALLY?

and what exactly would you do?

yes, i saw the movie. The Dark Knight Rises and the last thing on my mind was the NES Survival forum. [laugh]

dude.... REALLY?

and what exactly would you do?

yes, i saw the movie. The Dark Knight Rises and the last thing on my mind was the NES Survival forum. [laugh]

Well, we had an unusual situation. The lightning storm on Saturday evening damaged the power supply to the digital projector which turned off the projection system and forced a 20 minute delay (happen just after the US Marines showed up delivering emergency aid supplies). That gave me an unusually long time to reflect on what was going on in the movie at the time. When they restarted it, it started about 15 minutes earlier in the film, so we got to see a lot of the urban anarchy sequences twice.

One the plus side, we got to see the whole film and the theatre aggreed to give everyone there a free movie at a future visit - bring in your ticket stub and it will be accepted as a rain-check for a future visit.

As for what to take away from it:

1) Avoid urban areas if possible. If things start to fall apart - flee as soon as possible. (yes, I know what wasn't possible in the film)
2) If you can't flee, blending in is critical - looking like a "have" when large bands of "have-nots" are looking to vent pent up anger is dangerous.
3) Physical security is vitally important.

I think it was a pretty good depiction of what a city under military law / occupation / emergency powers would look like.

Back
Top Bottom