Bass Pro

Wow. 3 posts in 13 years. Slow down!

Screw BPS. Overpriced on everything.​
And they screwed GOAL and the women's group. Many of us are boycotting them.

Not to mention some of us couldn't screw over customers with the severely overpriced handguns and look ourselves in the mirror in the morning!

I tell ya.. wife and I work at BPS.. for retail, not a bad place to work. I get it.. don't like the prices, don't shop there. But I can tell you that they do a shitload for 2A, hunting, & conservation orgs. If you hold one incident against them, it's pretty shortsighted if you ask me. They sure ain't Dicks Sporting Goods.

I went to Gartman asking if he'd support NWTF when I was volunteering for that org.. Guy was a real douche to me.. I completely understand if your not interested in supporting a .org, but no need to treat me like an a**h***. Most of the guys in there are cool, but if that was the owner, eff him...

You will die from second hand smoke ooooozzzing out of the back room at Gartman. They have a death wish. Went once to Gartman, will not go back because of it.

BP has a very nice range of optics and fishing reels to look at. There's a cost of all that overhead that is reflected in the prices.

I know that Gartman gets items from other local dealers, like Norton Arms and ammo, and mark them up at least $400 per item.

Last edited:
went to Gartman asking if he'd support NWTF when I was volunteering for that org.. Guy was a real douche to me.. I completely understand if your not interested in supporting a .org, but no need to treat me like an a**h***. Most of the guys in there are cool, but if that was the owner, eff him...

The one time I went there, the bald guy was one to me as well. Never stepped foot back in there. Not to derail the thread(since that never happens lol)

I tell ya.. wife and I work at BPS.. for retail, not a bad place to work. I get it.. don't like the prices, don't shop there. But I can tell you that they do a shitload for 2A, hunting, & conservation orgs. If you hold one incident against them, it's pretty shortsighted if you ask me. They sure ain't Dicks Sporting Goods.

I went to Gartman asking if he'd support NWTF when I was volunteering for that org.. Guy was a real douche to me.. I completely understand if your not interested in supporting a .org, but no need to treat me like an a**h***. Most of the guys in there are cool, but if that was the owner, eff him...
You can call it a little incident if you wish, but when a company cancels a GOAL/Women's event 2 days prior for political reasons, leaving GOAL and ~125 paid attendees holding the bag, and then promises to reimburse GOAL but doesn't do so for multiple months . . . that's a pretty big NEGATIVE wrt 2A in my book! They richly deserve being boycotted. The woman who organized that event is a very good friend of mine and kept me abreast of the broken promises by BassPro.

At least Dick's had the balls to admit to what they did and why they did it. They joined the anti-2A groups and admitted to doing so.

As for Gartman, my understanding is that the Daughters of the original owner now own the place and hired a manager to run the store.

You can call it a little incident if you wish, but when a company cancels a GOAL/Women's event 2 days prior for political reasons, leaving GOAL and ~125 paid attendees holding the bag, and then promises to reimburse GOAL but doesn't do so for multiple months . . . that's a pretty big NEGATIVE wrt 2A in my book! They richly deserve being boycotted. The woman who organized that event is a very good friend of mine and kept me abreast of the broken promises by BassPro.

At least Dick's had the balls to admit to what they did and why they did it. They joined the anti-2A groups and admitted to doing so.

As for Gartman, my understanding is that the Daughters of the original owner now own the place and hired a manager to run

As for Gartman, my understanding is that the Daughters of the original owner now own the place and hired a manager to run the store.

Rumor is Goal got a hefty sum of money... thousands of dollars. Above my pay grade though

Like i sait. One incident vs all the good.

Rumor is Goal got a hefty sum of money... thousands of dollars. Above my pay grade though

Like i sait. One incident vs all the good.
True, but they were promised that money immediately after the cancellation and it wasn't sent until months later. Meantime, GOAL had to reimburse people that wanted their money back. Very bad business practice and meets my criteria of a terrible company to give my money to!

I never cared for the Bass Pro in Foxboro. I always felt it had too much fluff and it reminded me of a tourist trap. I liked Cabelas much better. Was more to the point for me. The one thing they do have is a much better ammo selection then any other place I've been. At some point I will order from a place like TSUSA but in some calibers they don't have what either store will have on hand. Even now after Bass Pro bought Cabelas they still have a good selection although a bit less then before.

True, but they were promised that money immediately after the cancellation and it wasn't sent until months later. Meantime, GOAL had to reimburse people that wanted their money back. Very bad business practice and meets my criteria of a terrible company to give my money to!

well.. isn't GOAL the one who took the ticket money from the attendees? Shouldn't have been difficult for an org to cut & mail 100 or so checks with money they had grossed and was presumably sitting in their account. And IIRC, BPS was donating the space free of charge.. so really it shouldn't have been anything off of GOAL's back to refund the money. BPS would have had no reason to give GOAL a dime, as GOAL didn't pay them anything. Again IIRC, BPS gave them a huge donation for the inconvenience and to cover any nonrefundable expenses from other vendors. If the complaint is that it came "months" later, I think people need to be a bit more understanding on how an 8 billion dollar company works, and cutting checks for large sums for things like this don't move quickly thru corporate entities.

I can not complain about Bass Pro, Bass Pro Shops gave the National Trappers Association 10,000 dollars this year to help with the NTA Convention that was held in Springfield, MO. this year and sent the General Manager to the Convention. Yes I am on the Board of Directors of the NTA as well as the BOD of the New Hampshire Trappers Association.
We used that money to give out Trappers Handbooks to the kids that came through the gates at the Convention.

If any of you ever get the chance to go the Springfield, MO. store make sure that you have a day to spend there, the place is massive with a great firearms museum that starts with Matchlocks and right up to the present, including what was once in the Remington Museum. They also have a huge aquarium and a Natural history museum.

Last edited:
well.. isn't GOAL the one who took the ticket money from the attendees? Shouldn't have been difficult for an org to cut & mail 100 or so checks with money they had grossed and was presumably sitting in their account. And IIRC, BPS was donating the space free of charge.. so really it shouldn't have been anything off of GOAL's back to refund the money. BPS would have had no reason to give GOAL a dime, as GOAL didn't pay them anything. Again IIRC, BPS gave them a huge donation for the inconvenience and to cover any nonrefundable expenses from other vendors. If the complaint is that it came "months" later, I think people need to be a bit more understanding on how an 8 billion dollar company works, and cutting checks for large sums for things like this don't move quickly thru corporate entities.
As you noted, GOAL was out money for a number of months, that they had to pay other vendors for the non-event.

Well, the behemoth company sure could move quickly to cancel the event 2 days prior to it supposedly happening. In that case waiting for 2 months because corporate entities don't move quickly falls on my deaf ears.

You can defend your employer forever, that is your right, and it is our right to not accept that as good business practice. You don't need to defend them to me, in no way am I accusing you of being involved in the debacle.

Nothing against you but it sounds like you are defending your employer out of blind loyalty. Hopefully when you become disenchanted with your employer you never come back here with a rant post.

From your post sounds like BPS gave them a big FU and then behind closed doors tried to make it right with a big payoff and hey look how well I treated them post. Remember I am not looking through rose colored glasses just through YOUR plate glass.

I only buy two things at BPS, their angler jacket and their Excel fishing line. Only because both these items have not changed over the years and work for me.
I'm not a fan of BPS otherwise.

I only buy two things at BPS, their angler jacket and their Excel fishing line. Only because both these items have not changed over the years and work for me.
I'm not a fan of BPS otherwise.

I got into fly fishing a couple of years ago, and the place that has the most complete materials for tying flies in this area is Bass Pro. I don't like having to travel the distance to Hooksett, but when you need certain feathers for a fly, they have it. Note: I am not a fly fishing purist, just another method to fish with.

does any one know exactly why they cancelled?
IIRC, it got some media coverage in advance of the date and the antis apparently put up a stink, so BP folded to be PC. There was a long thread on that at the time, should be searchable.

You will die from second hand smoke ooooozzzing out of the back room at Gartman. They have a death wish. Went once to Gartman, will not go back because of it.

BP has a very nice range of optics and fishing reels to look at. There's a cost of all that overhead that is reflected in the prices.

I know that Gartman gets items from other local dealers, like Norton Arms and ammo, and mark them up at least $400 per item.
So, look at the optics at Bass Pro and order from someone else.

I’m glad BPS and Cabelas are around. I’m pretty exclusive to 619 DW for guns but I picked up a savage ba 10 stealth in 6.5 CM for $781 out the door during the recent sale. No one is beating that. Not even close. Their sales are epic if you catch em at the right time. I got an even better deal on a 6-24x 50mm. 30 mm tube ffp scope to mount on it. The customer service lady is still shaking her head lol

Back
Top Bottom