• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bass Pro Spite Purchases... Let's support local Gun Shops. Post how your wallet is gonna talk.

Local gun shops.... Hmmm... after moving back to AZ, because eff trying to make it in MA, $1,200 for a 7.5" AR pistol and "brace" said and done with optic. All at the LGS

I loath Bass Pro to begin with so no issues there.

However, I liked Cabela's and even got a $10 off coupon in the mail last week.

I was going to use the coupon while buying a couple pounds of Accurate No.5 powder, which they appear to have back in stock. This morning I handed the coupon to my wife who gleefully ran it through the shredder (she is a MWGO member and pissed off).

Firearms and basic stuff is easy to get from my LGSs, but where the hell do you shop for outfitters stuff now? It's not like they carry a line of hunting clothes. :mad:

I MIGHT go to BPS for fishing gear. Then again, I might just go to Cabella's, or another local source. Hell, I could even make the drive up to Kittery and get the stuff there. KTP could even have more knowledgeable people in that section for me to work with. Of course, IF I'm dropping a decent amount on gear, getting it without sales tax would be a boon (so NH instead of ME).

I've not really looked at what BPS has for firearms before. Since there are plenty of local stores that are actually closer to me. Most recent purchases were from Next Level Firearms and Shooter's Outpost. Those are the ones I look to first for my next firearm purchase. Since NLF is closer, I tend to see if they can get (or already have) what I want first. They were able to get the Magnum Research 1911C I wanted quickly and at a good rate. ;)

Ive generally been screwing BPS and Cabela's on firearms sales all along. I've purchased one gun from Cabelas because it was a great deal, and not something made anymore. However, the process took like almost 2 hours. I swear to god it was the most retarded thing I've ever been thru.

Since then I've sworn off them, but I do use their flyers as leverage at KTP who will match prices on sale items. Since KTP is way overpriced. KTP generally easier to deal with, has a much more knowledgeable staff, and better selection of the harder to find more expensive products.

KTP isn't perfect, for instance, the counter help can be aholes sometimes. Last time up, I had a lady totally ignore me, purposely carry on a conversation with a local rather than deal with the ma$$hole, this went on for a half hour, and I walked out and bought online. Thanks Lady, you saved me some money. LOL... But in general in most cases, they are OK.

Overall, if it's a cheaper commodity piece, with no need to look at or feel...I'm buying it online. Usually cheaper, no tax, no driving, no hassle, no wasted time. Never look at BPS, Cabelas or KTP for that stuff. All overpriced.

Experienced and connected gun owners rarely buy firearms at Bass Pro solely because of the store's near full retail pricing. In fact, the pricing is so high that Bass Pro added "firearms excluded" to their price match policy.

I've always wondered why big box stores undercut the little guy on just about everything due to their huge purchasing power, but some how, small independent shops can buy in smaller quantity and still beat the Bass Pro price. Four Seasons purchases probably don't begin to match the quantity Bass Pro buys at the chain level (at lest on products Bass Pro carries).

Did my part today with a 10/22 picked up from Grrr Gear in Orange. If you happen to be passing through the area, stop in and say hi. They're a small shop but those are usually the best and can help you find what you may be looking for. I've been wanting one of these for a while. Originally I was going to get the regular carbine and add a scope later but this wasn't too much more for having the base, scope, and rings. And as an added bonus, it's BLACK so you know any libs will see it as extra killy. [smile] I'll probably go back and get the 3 pack of mags for it. Here's a few pics.
ruger1.JPG
ruger2.JPG
ruger4.JPG Pluto already claiming it as his own.
ruger5.JPG He's just reminding me to read the manual. duh [thumbsup]

I think this is going to be fun to shoot and I'm looking forward to when I can get to the range to try it. Tonight I'll just sit here with my coffee and go through it and get it ready for it's first outing.

Greg

Good intentions. But I dont buy anything there to begin with, especially firearms.
Same here. I think I had bought a bag of shotgun wads there once because neither Shooters nor Rileys had what I wanted and dude at Rileys suggested BPS. Other than that I havent set foot in one before or since.

bought last 2 guns from Four seasons,woburn and patriot arms,Ipswich MA....happy yo spend my money there,talk guns with actual gun person,( not a sales clerk who used to stock t shirts,and fishing rods.). went to bass pro once at gillette stadium, too crowded,not impressed.

Dropped about $200 on cleaning supplies at my LGS to replace the stuff that got destroyed last weekend. That's about it for my spite purchasing for awhile.

Was at Bass Pro this weekend down in Foxborough with the family. We go there every once in a while to hang out as the kids love it there. I'll admit, places like Bass Pro and KTP are my thing...I can hang in those stores for hours. Love the whole "outdoors" feel and setup.

I won't buy anything firearms related there as the prices are out of control....to the tune of 150-250 more than what a LGS charges. E.g. Sig P226 $950.00 before tax. FS you can walk out the door with one for $800.

I do all my business with MacPherson's in Brentwood because a) they're local, b) I try to support the local economy, c) they're good guys, and d) I don't like big box stores and corporations.
My next bigger purchase there will either be a thunder chicken or a trash panda from Q (also a young, local company with a tremendous amount of competence).
Unfortunately, MacPherson doesn't sell Vortex products, so the Viper PST 1-6 genII I want will have to be ordered elsewhere.

Besides Four Season who else has good prices on pistols?

MFS in Holliston actually has decent prices. I shopped around and landed there, call and ask what they have because their webiste isn't always up to date with what's in stock/out of stock. It helped that I had a coupon from my basic firearms class. Four Seasons beat them with the night sights version but I didn't need that and for some reason FS charges $20 for the midnight bronze, which I got for the same price at MFS

MFS in Holliston actually has decent prices. I shopped around and landed there, call and ask what they have because their webiste isn't always up to date with what's in stock/out of stock. It helped that I had a coupon from my basic firearms class. Four Seasons beat them with the night sights version but I didn't need that and for some reason FS charges $20 for the midnight bronze, which I got for the same price at MFS
I'm guessing VP9? Did they do a price match? Are the prices online updated?

Just bought a pair of Daisy 74s(cheap bb guns) for Christmas presents. They are 24 bucks in the store and 14 bucks online both from Asspro. That's the stuff that is going to kill these businesses. Why should I even bother walking through there? And if I do visit the store history suggests I go home empty handed and shop online, same company included.

I had about $50 worth of fishing supplies to order yesterday. I ordered them through Tackle Whorehouse instead of BPS.

Back
Top Bottom