• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bass Pro Shops buys Cabelas

Wrong, the Interstate runs along the Conn. River in Vermont , Look at Hinsdale or Chesterfield right across the river is RTE 91, Keene isn't the end of New Hampshire. Also to draw from North Central Mass you just come up Rt. 12. So from where you park your arse maybe so.

Uh, no, I'm not wrong, I was on I91 Saturday all the way from the Mass border to Lyndonville, Captain Wrong. I91 is in another state, Captain Wrong Long McPhong. Keene is 23.8 miles from Putney, Vermont, which is on I91.

Both shops, BPS and Cabela's, require immediate access to an interstate. Keene is almost 24 miles away from an interstate, more than a half hour. Explain to me how 35, 40 minutes away is immediate, when all of the other big box stores are within five to ten minutes of an interstate?

Edit:

On top of that, they're not going to put a big box store in a small town like the ones that directly border VT because A) the towns won't want the development and B) there won't be a sufficient labor force.

Last edited:
Im bummed about this. I use the Cabelas credit card all the time, mostly for being able to spend the rewards on stuff I actually want. I enjoy the Hudson Cabelas, although some of the workers behind the gun counter are useless. I like the ammo availability and pricing, they tend to have good deals on their brand clothes, which are far superior to the redhead crap at BPS. Also, they allow my dog which BPS does not do. Looks like im going to run up as much rewards as possible to get my HK45 before the swap happens.

Im bummed about this. I use the Cabelas credit card all the time, mostly for being able to spend the rewards on stuff I actually want. I enjoy the Hudson Cabelas, although some of the workers behind the gun counter are useless. I like the ammo availability and pricing, they tend to have good deals on their brand clothes, which are far superior to the redhead crap at BPS. Also, they allow my dog which BPS does not do. Looks like im going to run up as much rewards as possible to get my HK45 before the swap happens.
Bass pro allows dogs. Just not inside Blue Fin Loun5

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Although Cabela's doesn't always have everything I want they have the largest selection of ammo around and a good selection of reloading supplies and with the sales, coupons and rewards on the card you can actually do alright. Their clothing is good and most of the salespeople I've dealt with are very nice and also helpful.
Unfortunately I don't think this is a good thing for those that like to shoot.

Any bets that they'll close the Cabelas Berlin store?

BPS is garbage store. Also BPS doesn't believe in interior lighting its always dark in there.

I dislike BP very much. Their prices are always noticeably higher than anyone, anywhere. Cabellas though, I've always found great deals there.

Could not agree more. I've done very well for my reloading supplies. Even competitive with the online stuff I can't order here. Although as of late I've noticed price creep at Cabela's.

No doubt in my mind. In about 9 mos. to a year.

I mean Patriots BPS isn't close but it isn't on the other side of the moon either and if some planner/market analyst is looking at the numbers I'd think they'd shutter the place. Which would suck cause they are the only place I see that consistently has a big selection of 22LR in stock.

Its too bad, competition is good for the consumer. I find the guys behind the gun counter at the Foxboro BP lazy. Last time I went there to buy ammo I think it was the manager at the gun counter told me to go up front to pay, he was just standing around chatting. I waited in line forever. I told the cashier that guy was a lazy a$$ and she said oh, so and so, he sure is.

Less competition will only make them lazier.

Welp guess its time to cancel that card. What the hell are they gonna do with all that space? Their little section already has everything a fisherman could want plus another 200 square feet of ovepriced crap.

The Cabelas in mass lets you bring your dog in? I tried it once and the store manager told me it was service dogs only and asked me to remove the dog from the store and he was a jerk about it despite the lack of signs stating the policy anywhere near the door. The Scarborough store I bring her in all the time no problem when I'm up there, I asked and they said they do allow dogs and I thought the Berlin store would be the same, nope....

Bass pro in Foxboro allows dogs for sure, I bring mine there every time I go and they always hand you a poop bag and give the dog a treat and lots of attention on the way in. When mine was a puppy I did a lot of socialization and attention training there because it's dog friendly and busy on weekends.

Been to both stores. Bass Pro just once. Cabelas many times in Scarborough and on Saturday dropped 500.00 in Berlin.

As mentioned BP is OK for fishing but Cabelas is much better for everything else but the fishing dept is well covered in Maine, didn't look at it in Berlin. Walked past the firearms in Berlin but being in Mass there was no need to look at a single item.

Neither comes close to KTP.

Y'all should go to the BassPro and/or Cabelas website and submit feedback. Or post on their social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). You'd be surprised how much weight our opinions matter.

I was at Cabelas last week. They had nothing in small. Everything was Medium and bigger. I need to eat more bacon.

They had better not screw with the Cabela's gear. Cabela's has some great outdoor apparel. BPS sucks.

I hope they keep the same merchandise, not the stuff from bass pro.

This. Cabela's branded stuff is generally well made. BPS not so much.

I shop at both, and used to visit the flagship BPS in Springfield Mo when I lived in Mo/Ok but it has changed quite a bit and their branded stuff generally doesn't hold a candle to Cabelas.

Uh... last time I checked 5.5%( Maine) was less than 6.25%(Mass)

Yes...it used to be higher. Until Lepage. And then we raised ours.....

Cabelas is way better......and Cabelas down south or up north is way better than MA. They actually have stuff in stock.

Last edited:
I just got several hundred dollars worth of BPS gift cards for my 60th b-day. I wonder if I will be able to eventually use them at Cabela's? They have some stuff I want that BPS doesn't.

EDIT: Just read that "for now" they will only be redeemable at their respective stores. Things may change in early 2017.

Last edited:
... I was crazy disappointed about their pitifully small and boring Massachusetts handgun selection, utterly clueless gun salespeople, painfully slow checkouts...

The reason for that is very simple. Back when Cabelas was recruiting employees for the Berlin store I went for an interview and got offered a job in the gun department.

I was really kind of excited until they told me that the job pays $11 an hour. Along with that comes the requirement to work nights, holidays and weekends. Also, I would have the opportunity to work real hard, be a great team player, and there would be a chance for me to work my way up to be the gun counter supervisor and be compensated with a whopping $13 per hour. I just stood and walked out of the interview.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

The reason for that is very simple. Back when Cabelas was recruiting employees for the Berlin store I went for an interview and got offered a job in the gun department.

I was really kind of excited until they told me that the job pays $11 an hour. Along with that comes the requirement to work nights, holidays and weekends. Also, I would have the opportunity to work real hard, be a great team player, and there would be a chance for me to work my way up to be the gun counter supervisor and be compensated with a whopping $13 per hour. I just stood and walked out of the interview.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

This is retail, an industry that requires very minimal skills and has a vast pool of potential workers: What did you expect? Do you think Home Depot pays much more than that?

You can't ask for low prices AND high wages at the same store, it just doesn't work like that.

This is retail, an industry that requires very minimal skills and has a vast pool of potential workers: What did you expect? Do you think Home Depot pays much more than that?

You can't ask for low prices AND high wages at the same store, it just doesn't work like that.

True, but where are the low prices?

The one time I was in Cabela's - Berlin store, I saw an accessory that interested me, so I checked Amazon while standing there. Good reviews, but the product was being sold at MSRP (IIRC $30) by Cabela's and $20 on Azn. I took a pass. It's part of the reason why I've driven by the place a few times without stopping. Same with BassPro, I pass by it occasionally and never stop there.

True, but where are the low prices?

The one time I was in Cabela's - Berlin store, I saw an accessory that interested me, so I checked Amazon while standing there. Good reviews, but the product was being sold at MSRP (IIRC $30) by Cabela's and $20 on Azn. I took a pass. It's part of the reason why I've driven by the place a few times without stopping. Same with BassPro, I pass by it occasionally and never stop there.

So now you are comparing a brick and mortar store with an online retailer? Seriously Len? C'mon.

So now you are comparing a brick and mortar store with an online retailer? Seriously Len? C'mon.

NO, just saying that MSRP is not a "low price" for anything. Damn near nothing is sold at MSRP anywhere, companies usually sell at a discount off of MSRP even if it is a small discount.

Skeroo these big box corporate caverns. The salesmonkeys are minimum wage (ok slightly above) drones who seldom know anything about the products is the department they are working in. I'd rather drive an hour south to Sam's Outdoor Outfitters in Swanzy. Nearly the same products but better quality, friendly knowledgeable staff and reasonable prices. They have a good selection of big & tall clothing which is good for me.

Skeroo these big box corporate caverns. The salesmonkeys are minimum wage (ok slightly above) drones who seldom know anything about the products is the department they are working in. I'd rather drive an hour south to Sam's Outdoor Outfitters in Swanzy. Nearly the same products but better quality, friendly knowledgeable staff and reasonable prices. They have a good selection of big & tall clothing which is good for me.

I don't shop at Cabelas for the sales staff. In fact, I can't think of a store that I shop at for the sales staff.

Oh, there is one: Amazon. No sales staff to be misinformed at all, just how I like it.

Are we far enough topic yet?

Cabela was just about the only place in MA that could compete with online ammo prices. It was far but if you bought a lot of ammo it was worth it. I guess its back to paying 45~55 cents a round for 5.56 at Dicks...

Back
Top Bottom