Bass Pro firearms policy?

As you enter BPS in Foxboro there is a sign that says please check firearms and bows prior to entering the store. I took a shotgun there to have a scope mounted and they took my trigger lock off and put their own on. I then went on my way to the gun counter.

My question is does this policy extend to concealed carry guns? Are they saying you cannot carry in the store? If that is the case, is this a policy in all their stores or is it something MA forced them into? If they do prohibit CCW, it seems a bit hypocritical for a company which sells handguns/holsters etc.

C-pher??

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken, this sign does not apply to your CCW.
I believe that they just don't want people walking around their store with guns from outside that may or may not be loaded.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

Steve

No matter what they mean, drawing my loaded carry weapon sounds like a
great way for an accident to happen. If you are carrying properly it is a moot
point, since no one will know.

It is my understanding that the signs don't mean squat for CCW anyways. If you get made the only thing they can do is ask you to leave. If you don't you can be charged with criminal trespassing.

When the store first opened, that question was discussed here (you might be able to search for it) . . . at any rate, it was determined that they don't care about concealed as long as you keep it concealed!

Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of offering anything up at the door. I was more curious about the "official" policy and specifically if the state had leaned in them to implement it.

LenS, I did a quick search but came up with 20+ pages so I took the lazy way out. [grin]

I brought in a broken air gun the other day and the gentleman at the front desk kindly took it from me and broke the barrel to ensure it wasn't loaded, and then transported it to the customer service desk where I returned the gun.

NFW would I pull my CCW out.

Regrettably some do . . . to try it in holsters, etc. There are more than a few people who lack common sense and basic safety skills! Ask anyone who's worked behind a gun counter. I never have but used to hang out at the Colman's gun counter back in the day when I shot skeet/trap every week with the guys that worked that counter. I got to see it first-hand.

LenS, I did a quick search but came up with 20+ pages so I took the lazy way out. [grin]

I wasn't trying to criticize you, just pointing out that you might find more info on official policy here . . . somewhere, probably posted by C-pher (who works there). Believe me I know how much the Search mechanism on vBulletin sucks!

I don't think this applies to CCW.

If you printed and were "caught" you might be asked to leave the premises (best case scenario), or you may be reported as brandishing a firearm (worst case scenario this is forwarded to your CLEO - suitability reviewed).

Kinda a thread hijack but on the same topic, do signs that say "no firearms" have any legal standing in MA as it pertains to CCW?

Kinda a thread hijack but on the same topic, do signs that say "no firearms" have any legal standing in MA as it pertains to CCW?

Nope, no legal standing at all.

Anyone can ask you to leave anywhere for any reason. Failure to do so can result in "trespassing" charges, but it has nothing to do with firearms and signs.

I think some (not you) have their tinfoil hats on a little too tight (e.g. worries about brandishing, suitability etc. - best leave it home then under at least 2 locks and keys plus a safe and a monitored alarm system - at all times).

Nope, no legal standing at all.

Anyone can ask you to leave anywhere for any reason. Failure to do so can result in "trespassing" charges, but it has nothing to do with firearms and signs.

I think some (not you) have their tinfoil hats on a little too tight (e.g. worries about brandishing, suitability etc. - best leave it home then under at least 2 locks and keys plus a safe and a monitored alarm system - at all times).

What about that guy from Dedham a few years back? It can happen... [wink] [thinking]

What about that guy from Dedham a few years back? It can happen... [wink] [thinking]

The gun itself became visible (wind). If you think that the wind INSIDE BP will blow your shirt up over your head, don't carry in there! Me, I wouldn't worry about it if it is properly concealed. Brandishing is not "I can see the outline of part of a gun thru your shirt" in MGLs.

Chiefs can revoke because you part your hair on the left . . . or have no hair! [wink]

Ok, two things..

Yes, as it was said, the sign does not extent to CCW. I personally asked the head of LP, and he said that sign only applies to walking in with an unloaded firearm in a case...or as a few times, a loaded firearm in a case that had something wrong with it to where it wasn't able to be unloaded. (Every time so far, it's been that the use wasn't knowledgeable about the firearm, and just didn't know to do one thing or another)

If you want to try a holster with your CCW...you can take it up to the ballistics tube and unload the pistol, then fit test it with one of our holsters. But you need to not just do it on the floor, and have it cleared properly.

We're looking to get another tube for the gun counter so one doesn't need to go up to the greeter.

Back
Top Bottom