Bass fishing

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Fished Mousam Lake near Shapleigh, Maine this weekend. Here's a nice one from Thursday night:

bass.jpg

We caught dozens of bass, mostly on plastic worms (Senko worms from Gary Yamamoto worked exceptionally well) but nothing real big.

Last edited:
Yup,
Senkos are the best.
They don't advertise that they're also scented with amino acids.
The way I fish them is hook it through the middle (wacky style),
cast and wait. No movement up to about a minute and a half or until the bass bites.

were is the boat launch? Id like to bring the Zodiac there. Are there any trout?

Capt Walt

The launch is on Rte 109 on the lower part of the lake, I think in Acton (right after Springvale). I believe there are trout but don't quote me on it.

Yup,
Senkos are the best.
They don't advertise that they're also scented with amino acids.
The way I fish them is hook it through the middle (wacky style),
cast and wait. No movement up to about a minute and a half or until the bass bites.

I rigged them weedless since we were fishing in some pretty heavy cabbage.

yamamoto worms are the best!!!!

never had good results with any other types of plastic bait

I've always stuck with Berkley Power Worms. Crawling 10" worms rigged with the lightest Gambler screw in weights to keep it bouncing on the bottom always produced quality largemouth for me. Or if fish were finicky a split shot a few feet in front of a weightless 7" worm like a half assed Carolina rig always worked well. You can mostly get away with these techniques in clear water ponds with light vegetation especially at dusk or at night.
Of course once pitch dark hits its time to break out a 3/8 oz black spinnerbait with a nice big Colorado blade.[grin]
I miss fishing clear water ponds late at night.

What was the weight in the pic if you had to guess Jim? 3 1/2 - 4 pounds?

What was the weight in the pic if you had to guess Jim? 3 1/2 - 4 pounds?
She was a hair over 4 lbs. I throw Power Worms sometimes but these Senkos have really been killing them. I caught the most fish with a 5" Senko rigged weedless without a weight - just throw it and they hit it on the way down. As far as night fishing goes, you can't have more fun than topwater with a 5/8 oz Jitterbug.

Nice catch, Jim!

Thanks!

She was a hair over 4 lbs. I throw Power Worms sometimes but these Senkos have really been killing them. I caught the most fish with a 5" Senko rigged weedless without a weight - just throw it and they hit it on the way down. As far as night fishing goes, you can't have more fun than topwater with a 5/8 oz Jitterbug.

Thanks!

I used to keep a Jitterbug rigged for when the topwater bite was on but some nights waiting for that splash/explosion took too long. Thats when I knew something crawled slowly below the surface like a black spinnerbait with a fat trailer or even a 9" original AC Plug would get the bigger fish to bite. The AC Plug was tough to throw for long periods of time though. You practically need a pool cue and rope to fish the original big plugs but when something takes it you're glad you have heavy tackle because you know its big.
The place I used to go had 3 pounders for a minimum size and 5/6 pounders for regular taking at night. Crystal clear water and fairly heavily fished for a small body of water. On more than one occasion people have nabbed 8 and 9 pound largemouths there and no I'm not saying here where it is.[smile]

In small shops in Maine there is a little Maine only brand called Kelley Worms its the only artificial bait where I was guaranteed a bass or trout by every third cast oddly enough. I dunno if they are even made still. Course back in the day night fishing I used small/medium live frogs to land 5+ lb largemouth, but thats probably animal cruelty noaways.

Last edited:
In small shops in Maine there is a little Maine only brand called Kelley Worms its the only artificial bait where I was guaranteed a bass or trout by every third cast oddly enough. I dunno if they are even made still. Course back in the day night fishing I used small/medium live frogs to land 5+ lb largemouth, but thats probably animal cruelty noaways.

They still make Kelly worms, I have a few in my tackle box.

+1 for Senko's

I moved from Ma last week to Derry NH. Two weeks ago I had a spectacular day on a pond in Hanson Ma. I have a small kayak that I take all over fishing, primarily for largemouth bass. I caught 12 or so bass on 5 " green pumpkin color Senko's. I switched to a Zara Spook frog pattern in late afternoon around 5PM, didn't get anything and went back to the Senko's.
I have been fishing most of my life (40), that cloudy Saturday ranks up there with the best of them. I can't wait to start exploring around southern NH.
Craig

Back
Top Bottom