Bass Fishing (fresh)

Anyone else pumped to nail those Spring large mouths in their local ponds!?

Yamamoto Senkos give me the best of luck around here.

Wondering if anyone knew of any tourneys this year in Mass?

The ice on my pond is black from holding water and melting. Sometime this week we'll have ice out. Any time after that,as the water hits about 53 degrees, the bass start feeding like crazy.

My buddy and I have fished ice out at my pond for the past few years, and have had overwhelming success on the last day of March every year.

Our first year fishing together we caught over 50 bass, most above 2 pounds. Last yea was even better. Three of us were fishing, and we got over 100 bass, most around 3 pounds, as well as 40 Crappie.

I'm planing this years trip now.

I cant wait! Just got a new prop in the mail today for the boat and that is only making things worse!! Still was 18 inches of ice on saturday when we were icefishing!

Look to the left, just under my username. That should give you a good idea [smile]

Yeah, they hit watermelon senkos hard in my lake. Pickerel and trout will hit phoebes before the weeds get too dense.

Best of luck to everyone!!!!!!

I can't wait!!!

I usually fish Walker Pond in Sturbridge/Spencer, Long Pond/Brimfield Reservior, The Quaboag River in Palmer, and Red Bridge in Ludlow.

Last year I got a 3 pound largemouth at Red Bridge. Got a 14" Rainbow trout out of the Quaboag. Lots of rock bass there too.

yeah, I can't wait to fish. I fish for everything. Starting april 1st landlocks, then trout, then Stripers, then Bass, then bluefish, then stripers, then landlocks and trout again, then it is time to get back in the stand with the bow.

The great circle, when one ends I can't wait for the other.

Look to the left, just under my username. That should give you a good idea [smile]

Yeah, they hit watermelon senkos hard in my lake. Pickerel and trout will hit phoebes before the weeds get too dense.

Best of luck to everyone!!!!!!

Have you tried the Pumpkin Senkos...Muskies bite them hard too.

Have you tried the Pumpkin Senkos...Muskies bite them hard too.

I have a couple bags but I don't find many muskies around here.[frown] Really, wish I did though. I've only had muskie luck north of here in NH.

Pumpkin, senkos and pumpkin tubes did really well in Champlain on sunny days last summer. Seemed to be the winner.

I forget the brand name, but I usually have good luck for bass with either a 4" or 6" lizard in either a pumpkin or chartruese (sp?) color

6" lizards in pumpkin seed seem to do the trick for me. I cant wait to get out there fishing. The boat didn't get nearly enough use last year after I finished it.
Think an NES bassmasters day would be a good idea? Bring another NES member along with you to make a 2 man team (can't fit more than that on my boat). Fish from 6:00AM to noon and have weigh in's. Lets say 10 bucks a person and a % of the total to GOAL and the rest to the fish pool, largest fish, heaviest total. Depending on the Lake chosen, a possible BBQ after if they have someplace to hang out and grill up some dogs and burgers? It can be a pain in the ass to find a spot anywhere else when your towing.
What do you think? If there is any interest maybe I could try and put something together.

6" lizards in pumpkin seed seem to do the trick for me. I cant wait to get out there fishing. The boat didn't get nearly enough use last year after I finished it.
Think an NES bassmasters day would be a good idea? Bring another NES member along with you to make a 2 man team (can't fit more than that on my boat). Fish from 6:00AM to noon and have weigh in's. Lets say 10 bucks a person and a % of the total to GOAL and the rest to the fish pool, largest fish, heaviest total. Depending on the Lake chosen, a possible BBQ after if they have someplace to hang out and grill up some dogs and burgers? It can be a pain in the ass to find a spot anywhere else when your towing.
What do you think? If there is any interest maybe I could try and put something together.

I would spring for my liscense for this one. Great suggestion Ed.[wink]

I'm in.

Well there seems to be some interest anyway. Let me look into this further and see what I can come up with.

I you need any help let me know. I pull all the permits from the state for my Bass clubs tournaments.

I suggest something central (sturbridge exit on the pike maybe). A lot of good water around there.

I tried to put one together last year and it didn't really work out but Quabbin is great b/c everyone can get a boat. Just can't be obvious about the competition part of it.[wink]

If Sturbridge is the central point, I would suggest Walker Pond (more like a small lake) It has LOTS of big bass and is big enough to accomodate at least a dozen boats.

I would be in and would be a +1 unless I can borrow my dad's boat....and at that it only has an electric motor. It would take a half hour to get across the lake.

This is one of the lakes that I was thinking about. LAKE COCHITUATE
It has a state ramp and what looks to be plenty of parking, I think it may have picnic area as well. I need to look into that more
I don't think permits will be needed? Think it will be that big? I am just thinking a bunch of NES'rs getting together for some fun, meet and greets and bragging rights more than anything. A couple of bucks thrown around among friends to make the bragging rights that much sweeter when the ammo they buy on the way home didn't cost them a penny [smile]
Here is a quick overview I copied from the link.

LAKE COCHITUATE (Framingham / Natick / Wayland) General Information:
This fertile, 614-acre lake is one of the most complex and heavily fished waters in Massachusetts. The lake is divided into three major basins, which are connected by navigable culverts. While the surrounding areas are thickly developed, large portions of the immediate shoreline have been preserved as Cochituate State Park. Shoreline access is therefore good, although street-side parking is often the rule. Public access for boaters is provided by a huge ramp located on the south side of Route 30 on Middle Pond. It can accommodate all size boats and there is ample parking for at least 50 vehicles. Recreational usage is high throughout the warm months.

Maybe I should start a new thread about this? Get allot more attention and sorry for your original thread takeover.

Cant wait to go fishing !!!!

This is one of the lakes that I was thinking about. LAKE COCHITUATE
It has a state ramp and what looks to be plenty of parking, I think it may have picnic area as well. I need to look into that more
I don't think permits will be needed? Think it will be that big? I am just thinking a bunch of NES'rs getting together for some fun, meet and greets and bragging rights more than anything. A couple of bucks thrown around among friends to make the bragging rights that much sweeter when the ammo they buy on the way home didn't cost them a penny [smile]
Here is a quick overview I copied from the link.

Permits are required for any type of derby, tournament etc! Most dont cost anything. Army Corp of Engineers facilities like Buffamville Res and Brimfield Res have 25 dollar fees.
Permits are more for scheduling to make sure multiple groups dont show up at the same place at the same time. If you show up and have a group and do not have a permit and there is another group there they will be pissed! Enviro cops will be pissed too.

Do it right or dont do it at all!

Here is where you get all the info, where to apply etc....

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/pab/index.htm

List of scheduled tournaments.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/pab/pab_schedevents.htm

Unless you go early spring or late Fall Cochituate is usually a friggin zoo!!! Every idiot from Boston metro area who thinks he knows how to drive a boat or back a trailer in is there! Idiots bring mini cabin cruisers there!

Quinsigamond in Worcester sucks too. Same deal.

Get out away from the morons in the city a bit more.

I would pay the 25 bucks for buffamville or brimfield and get a nice quiet place. Fishing is better at buffamville.

Are we shooting for full blown tourney or bunch of NES'ers on boats. NES tourney should get the blessing of the powers that be here at NES before we move ahead.

Anytime anyone wants to get together to throw some line let me know. I get out just about everyday(seriously) from April until it's all iced back over and fish salt/fresh, spincast/baitcast/fly... I need to attend a fishing anonymous meeting.
It would just be a matter of getting to where y'all may be [smile]

Are we shooting for full blown tourney or bunch of NES'ers on boats. NES tourney should get the blessing of the powers that be here at NES before we move ahead.

Anytime anyone wants to get together to throw some line let me know. I get out just about everyday(seriously) from April until it's all iced back over and fish salt/fresh, spincast/baitcast/fly... I need to attend a fishing anonymous meeting.
It would just be a matter of getting to where y'all may be [smile]

Well, I was just trying to see who would have any interest in this before I try and organize something. I was thinking that the end of April may be a good time to get this done before the lakes get too busy. I am open to any and all suggestions as I have never done anything like this before.

If Sturbridge is the central point, I would suggest Walker Pond (more like a small lake) It has LOTS of big bass and is big enough to accomodate at least a dozen boats.

I would be in and would be a +1 unless I can borrow my dad's boat....and at that it only has an electric motor. It would take a half hour to get across the lake.

That might be a a good option. I have never fished it (always wanted to) but it should have sufficient parking and being a state forest/campground a picnic area should be nearby. I have heard is is a pretty good bass pond. It is small though at only 89 acres. Not sure how much parking there is either.

Last edited:
there's enough parking for about a dozen trucks & trailers. Its a dirt parking lot, so you get a spot wherever you can fit your rig.

It is a good bass pond. The far end of the pond is a great area to fish.

Back
Top Bottom