Basic Pistol Course

jon

Hello,

I am new here. Name is Jon. I am looking to take a basic pistol course. Possibly with a few friends. I am currently a graduate student in boston, so in the interest of conserving gas I would be looking for a course in the boston - 128 area. although I hate to, the grad student stipend does bring cost into the picture.

IF anyone can recomend or offers a basic pistol course that might work I would be very interested.

Jon,

Welcome to Northeastshooters.

My gun club, Massachusetts Rifle Association in Woburn, offers a Basic Pistol course on the second Saturday of each month with the unfortunate exception of August. Give them a call on 781-933-2138 or email them at [email protected]. They keep the class size small so sign up early.

Jon, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here!

Give this idea a try . . . contact the coach of the MIT Pistol Team and ask if he or anyone there does training? Since everyone in MA needs a course to get their first LTC/FID, they likely run some classes nearby so that their members/students can shoot.

Here's more info:

http://web.mit.edu/mitprc/www/files/CourseInfo.pdf - price and contact info, no dates shown here.

http://web.mit.edu/mitprc/www/index.html - info on MIT Pistol Club

Maybe ask at Roach's Sporting goods down in Central Sq. (search the Gun Shop Review forum). They may know someone local if the other ideas don't pan out.

And Welcome!

Matt

Jon, check out step 2 of the 12-step program, it has all the contact information for the Boston Gun Club, right on the red line with classes every week (they did have a bit of a hiatus during the summer, but I think they're back into the swing of things). Drop me a line if you have trouble finding it.

My impression of the neighborhood (Field's Corner) where BGRA is located is that it is only safe if you are carrying a gun! [sad]

IIRC, not very long ago someone was shot and killed at the T-Station there (BGRA is actually located on T-Station property) and I think that the shooting was in the daytime.

Jon,

Welcome to Northeastshooters.

My gun club, Massachusetts Rifle Association in Woburn, offers a Basic Pistol course on the second Saturday of each month with the unfortunate exception of August. Give them a call on 781-933-2138 or email them at [email protected]. They keep the class size small so sign up early.
+1. Last I heard we already have students signing up for November so definitely give a call. Or stop by on a Wednesday night around 5-7 pm or Sunday morning between 9 am-12 pm. Somebody can give you a tour and sign you up.
I live in Somerville. It only takes about 10 minutes to get there so distance shouldn't be a problem from Boston. [wink]

My impression of the neighborhood (Field's Corner) where BGRA is located is that it is only safe if you are carrying a gun! [sad]

IIRC, not very long ago someone was shot and killed at the T-Station there (BGRA is actually located on T-Station property) and I think that the shooting was in the daytime.

Eh, the area isn't completely crime free, but it's not seriously dangerous either. Dot Ave is a very busy street--I've never felt threatened and I'm up and down that street at least once a week. (The T-Station killing was one gang member against another. If you're part of a gang, you should avoid most of Roxbury and Dorchester for your own health.)

I have spent the past 5 years living in roxbury and now live in dorchester. You don't really have any problems unless you are being stupid.

That being said I will be getting my Pistol Permit in Connecticut, as that is my Legal residence. (student) Luckily Connecticut is much easier to deal with than MA law. I will then probably get a non resident MA permit.

Back
Top Bottom