• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Basic Hunter Safety Course

Hi All,
Just curious about the Basic hunter safety course for MA. Used to hunt years ago with my old man and just getting back into it. Tried getting a hunting permit online and it requests that I check off a box saying that I have taken a mandatory Basic Hunter Safety course. I looked around and all the courses are full. What are my options? What would happen if I clicked, "yes" to the selection and they then issued me a license without ever really going through the course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have copies of your old license?

Did you ever take the hunter safety course when you were younger? If yes, contact the DFW and they will have a record of it.

Call MassWildlife and expalin your situation. Also, if a course has not yet started, call the host facility and ask if there's room - often there's "overbooking" to cover no-shows.

If you've not been in the field in a while, I'd recommend takiing the course, though. I took it back in the day, and this past spring, again with MisterHappyJr.

A LOT had changed, WRT laws, etc.....

I have no problem taking the course and Im not trying to be unlawful here by any means. I just really want to hunt turkey this yr and it looks like I wont be able to as all classes that I have come across seem to be booked.

Dave, go, in person, on opening night of the course. Even though they're full there is often room for one more. It's worth a try. The worst that can happen is they say no. I know that when I took my class a bunch of people were allowed in even though it was full.

Last edited:
Dave, go, in person, on opening night of the course. Even though they're full there is often room for one more. It's worth a try. The worst that can happen is they say no. I konow that when I took my class a bunch of people were allowed in even though it was full.

This.
The club or facility that hosts the course won't have any info on enrollment. It's all handled by the DFW. If you show up a 1/2 hour ahead and speak to the instructor there's a good chance you'll get a seat. Good luck.

Unfortunately I looked today and only see one date being offered for October, this was checking on the website maybe there are others
not posted yet.

If it's turkey....take the course!

They devote an entire session on how not to come to an untimely end - what not to wear, what not to drink, and other fun facts....

I'll get mine at Stop & Shop! Seriously....if you didn't know that you are required by law to have a green sticker on your gun, you should take the course, first.

Unfortunately I looked today and only see one date being offered for October, this was checking on the website maybe there are others
not posted yet.

All the instructors and are out hunting. This happens most every year around this time...folks looking for Hunter Ed right before and during hunting season. I don't think DFW can or will ever do anything about this. I would hope they would realize that this actually limits the number of licenses sold. If they were a for profit enterprise, they would be listening to their customers and trying to fill the need.

But I digress....

If you want Turkey hunting, you should start watching now for new courses so you will be able to get it done by spring turkey season.

Any idea of the phone number for DFW? I googled and didn't really come up with anything. I'm in the same situation as Dave. Any help would be great. Thanks

Hi All,
Just curious about the Basic hunter safety course for MA. Used to hunt years ago with my old man and just getting back into it. Tried getting a hunting permit online and it requests that I check off a box saying that I have taken a mandatory Basic Hunter Safety course. I looked around and all the courses are full. What are my options? What would happen if I clicked, "yes" to the selection and they then issued me a license without ever really going through the course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Go to a Masswildlife office and request an affidavit. Fill it out saying that you have either taken a hunter safety course or have held a previous license. You don't need proof, but need to swear under penalties....that you have taken the course or held a previous license.

I would suggest coming to the Central District Office in West Boylston and doing this. Our office administrator is great!

211 Temple St. (Rt. 140)

Any idea of the phone number for DFW? I googled and didn't really come up with anything. I'm in the same situation as Dave. Any help would be great. Thanks

Central District (Worcester County) 508-835-3607.

Otherwise...http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/facilities/contact_us.htm

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_basic_listing.htm

The Basic Hunter Education Course is mandatory for first-time hunters or hunting license buyers in Massachusetts. All courses are free of charge. Below is the current schedule of Basic Hunter Education Course offerings. Please note - students must attend ALL dates listed. Enrollment opens 2 months in advance. Check this page often as it is updated regularly. For additional information, call the Hunter Education office at (978) 772-0693.

All the instructors and are out hunting. This happens most every year around this time...folks looking for Hunter Ed right before and during hunting season. I don't think DFW can or will ever do anything about this. I would hope they would realize that this actually limits the number of licenses sold. If they were a for profit enterprise, they would be listening to their customers and trying to fill the need.

But I digress....

If you want Turkey hunting, you should start watching now for new courses so you will be able to get it done by spring turkey season.

The instructors are all volunteers....perhaps if their salary is doubled, it will help! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom