• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Basic Firearms Safety class

Any recommendations for classes coming up soon? Moved my stuff into the new place with the new woman, she figures (rightly) that she should know how to safely handle and use the firearms I've brought into the house. We're in Groton, MA.

We hold classes 7 days a week. All classes include live fire shooting ( cost is $100 ).

With our guest program you can attend with your wife for free or just shoot at the range while she is taking her class.

With the class you will get $25 off the purchase of a firearm along with 5% off ammo and accessories.

You will also get a free day pass to our range giving you and your wife access to over 100k in firearms you can use at no charge.

I recommend any NRA 8 hour class, like the NRA's "Basic Pistol Class."
The knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to own and safely operate firearms takes time to be conveyed to the student who is looking for a solid base knowledge of firearms. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Merrimack Firearms is just north of you. They run several types of training courses there.

They have a schedule of classes coming up.

You can contact them:Steven Soucy, Owner
603-424-GUNS (4867)
Merrimack Firearms, LLC
280 Daniel Webster Highway, Unit C
Merrimack, NH 03054
Hours of Operation:
Mon-Fri: 9 am - 7pm
Saturday: 8am - 5pm
Sunday: Closed

http://www.nhgunshop.com/index.html

Not to hijack Mark L's post buy im kinda in the same boat. I have been after my wife for some time to take a class and apply for her LTC. All of a sudden she says "look into a class because I want my LTC." Im currently looking into places for her to take the class. I notice some places offer 4hr classes and others 8hr classes. My question is : What is the difference between an 8hr class and a 4hr class?

Not to hijack Mark L's post buy im kinda in the same boat. I have been after my wife for some time to take a class and apply for her LTC. All of a sudden she says "look into a class because I want my LTC." Im currently looking into places for her to take the class. I notice some places offer 4hr classes and others 8hr classes. My question is : What is the difference between an 8hr class and a 4hr class?

I believe with the 8 hour class...more range time...more emphasis on safely handling firearms. The 4 hour class I took was mostly about the absurd MA laws and 5 minutes on the range.

Thanks iofneedle. I think I'm going to sign her up for the 8 hr class. She was completely against me getting my ltc and having a gun in the house. I told her they were completely safe as long as you follow some basic rules. The emphasis on safety will be huge for her.

Look for the QUALITY of the class rather than the length or cheapness! There are huge variables in what is taught and the quality of what you get. Oftentimes you get what you paid for!

Although I almost never teach the basic courses currently, having been asked to put together a basic class for a large private group, I put the proposal out there for NRA Home Firearm Safety (4 hr course) with one of the best firearms instructors out there to assist me and the students will get live fire as well, shooting .22LR, 9mm, .223 and 7.62x39. And they will learn to load and unload each of those for themselves as well!

Look for the QUALITY of the class rather than the length or cheapness! There are huge variables in what is taught and the quality of what you get. Oftentimes you get what you paid for!
This all depends on why one is looking for a class.

The OP seems to need the class for a new to guns person, in which case Len's advise is right on. Sometimes, a newcomer to MA already well versed in proper gun handling procedures just needs the certificate and law info.

If the class is taking less than 8 hours to cover MA gun law, you are just getting an intro to that subject [grin] [grin] [grin]

Check out any class prior to enrollment. Ask if it is "classroom only" or not. Does it include firing live ammunition, and not some air pistol. What caliber(s) are included in the course? How many rounds will you be firing? Can you bring your own firearm to the range?

Where is the class being conducted: is it in a classroom, in a home, or on the range? Is the range indoors or an outdoor ranges; is it public or private?

Is the instructor insured? How large is the class size? What is the student/instructor ratio.

Are you buying just a certificate, or are you getting trained in safe gun handling?

If you are just looking a good training experience, you'll be looking for an 8.0 plus hour course. In my experience the NRA 8.0 hours course runs closer to 10.0 hours.

Back
Top Bottom