• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Basic Firearm Safety for Youth with Range Time

kieron

NES Member
I'm looking for a basic firearm safety course for youth (8+) in the NE MA or south NH region. Small caliber range time is preferred, but not a hard requirement. Web searches haven't been fruitful.

A lot depends on maturity and willingness to sit and learn/absorb some of the material (most adults don't absorb more than a small percentage). There is no special course for children that I'm aware of and I have taught some children that came with their parents to a private class once or twice.

That said, the best way for them to learn is to get them into a junior rifle program at a local gun club. I know that the clubs I am familiar with did NOT require the parents to be members for the kids to attend. The sad thing is due to the plague, it is unlikely that any of them will offer the program this year.

I’m not sure if you belong to a range, but I took the MA pistol course at mine when I was 13. Connections go a long way. Send a few emails to some local ranges I’m sure one will do it. Many ranges have junior rifle clubs so it’s definitely not unheard of.

Thanks for the responses. My GF and I are putting our applications in with a local gun club this week, and intend on involving my kids in the club later in the summer. My inquiry has twofold goals: a strong safety foundation I can build off of, and attaining a certificate of completion for my kids. The latter is a insurance against an anti-2A mother who has already "raised concerns" to a probate mediator about them being "exposed to firearms".

Back
Top Bottom