Basement window recommendations?

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
You'd think some of them would take small jobs to fill in the times between big jobs. I have 5 windows to replace. I'd be fine if they did one every two weeks when they can squeeze them in. Same with odd jobs for plumbing (temptrol shower handle) and electrical.
While waiting on a friend to do my window install ( yup waiting for that between job time) I called around to some "window installers" as soon as I mentioned 2-3 windows I got "not interested"
8 window minimum for most.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting on a friend to do my window install ( yup waiting for that between job time) I called around to some "window installers" as soon as I mentioned 2-3 windows I got "not interested"
It's not that they are not interested but the cost to install two may cost the same as installing six and the average Homeowner is so cheap the contractor would be wasting their valuable time pricing it. That is why it is so hard to find tradesmen to do small jobs. It's the same as those touting their $5.00 dollar saving by buying online than at the local LGS. ;)

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Wish I could recommend my guy but he doesn’t travel down your way.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Well it looks like one of these Harvey windows wasn't able to take on the large amounts of wind driven rain Sunday night into monday. Went down to the basement yesterday and to my surprise there was water leaking beneath the sash where it sits in the frame! And it was running down onto my sill...

Seems like the weep holes on either corner aren't big enough to drain large amounts of rain water. Then there's the issue with the weep holes freezing up...Had water leaking in this morning from melted snow on the window...

I reached out to Harvey and they are going to send someone out to inspect them and see if it's possible to enlarge the weep holes. Kinda bummed but hopefully they'll make it right...

The other 2 windows were fine but that's because the 40 mph winds weren't battering them head on...
IMG_4386.JPGIMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4392.JPG

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Harvey is going to send someone out in the next 4-6 weeks to enlarge the weep holes. They said I'm the second customer who's had a weep hole issue in the last month. If they can get this fixed and at no cost to me, I'll be giving Harvey more business.

Bmcl322

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Could it be the install, that they aren't square and plumb and tilt out at the bottom, leaving a flow of water, back toward the house?? Don't know?? Seems crazy to me!!

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Could it be the install, that they aren't square and plumb and tilt out at the bottom, leaving a flow of water, back toward the house?? Don't know?? Seems crazy to me!!
Very good point! I put a level on the window and it's just barely pitched inward towards the house... [rolleyes] Not ideal but I don't think the pitch will matter much during extreme wind driven rains like last weekend. I poured water over the weep holes and it takes forever to drain.

I haven't mentioned it yet to my carpenter as I wanted to see what Harvey can do once they come out. It's definitely a gamble as Harvey could notice this and say that it was installed incorrectly...We shall see.

I really don't want to have the carpenter rip everything off espeically since I've sprayed the insulation foam around the perimeter on the inside...But maybe it wouldn't hurt to see what he says....

Last edited:
Top Bottom