Basement window recommendations?

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You'd think some of them would take small jobs to fill in the times between big jobs. I have 5 windows to replace. I'd be fine if they did one every two weeks when they can squeeze them in. Same with odd jobs for plumbing (temptrol shower handle) and electrical.
Most guys do side jobs, but some are working saturdays on their ft job, just make deadlines and get the ot pay.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The company I work for installs windows almost year round. The only mitigating factors are heavy precipitation, and severe cold. Any smart installer is only going to have one opening open at a time. Just take care to section off the house, close doors, crank the heat the night before, put down some drop cloths or old blankets if there's snow on the ground, things like that. Sealants like OSI Quad have a working temp of 0 to 120 degrees F as well as wet surface application, which gives you a pretty broad range of scenarios. Don't hesitate to ask the carpenter what he's going to be using and make sure he's not cheaping out. Since the window is, or should be, nailed in place and secured, the caulk is simply a sealeant for gaps and shouldn't be load bearing. It will of course, take a bit longer to dry but it's perfectly fine to install windows in the cold.
Thank you for that helpful info! I’ll check with him to see what he plans to use and mention the OSI if it’s really cold out. Appreciate the help. Makes me feel more comfortable getting these windows done next month.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
all the trades are flat out...starting from late spring to now...good luck finding anyone
I know! It’s insane! I’ve been trying to get him all year. I’ve got the money for repairs and can’t find anyone to take it lol.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
You'd think some of them would take small jobs to fill in the times between big jobs. I have 5 windows to replace. I'd be fine if they did one every two weeks when they can squeeze them in. Same with odd jobs for plumbing (temptrol shower handle) and electrical.
I’d probably be fine with that too. I’m just trying to get this done before the winter.
I’m definitely in the wrong field seeing their demand and the pay etc.

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I know! It’s insane! I’ve been trying to get him all year. I’ve got the money for repairs and can’t find anyone to take it lol.
I'd find another contractor, sounds like he just keeps putting you off for other jobs.
Installing Windows is not rocket science, there are hundreds of capable people who can do it, shop around for a good handyman

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I'd find another contractor, sounds like he just keeps putting you off for other jobs.
Installing Windows is not rocket science, there are hundreds of capable people who can do it, shop around for a good handyman
I know. I’ve reached out to other contractors/carpenters and haven’t heard back. Charlie Silva (this old house - Tom Silva’s brother) was supposed to come by and check it out so he could recommend a carpenter but he didn’t respond to my last email. Might have to send another one as I’m sure he’s busy. I did him a favor over the summer and he gave me his cell phone number if I ever needed work done on my house...
Anyway, these are new construction windows and the exterior trim needs to be replaced and some of the windows are on the second floor which can make it tricky if you don’t have scaffolding or whatever they use.
I was really pleased with this guy’s work who did my other windows 2 years ago. You literally couldn’t tell that the interior trim was removed and put back. The previous carpenters I had were really sloppy so that’s why I’d like to use the same guy if possible.

But the basement windows look like something I might be able to do myself. Just need to find the time.

Woodsy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I used the Harvey in my basement and on the outside I installed decorative security bars. Since it’s not a window for egress that was fine. Overall they don’t get foggy like the old ones or have wind whistling through them. I also was able to put a hole in the frame to feed out a cord for a window well sump pump. It was needed maybe 3 times in 20 years but a dry basement is much better

Woodsy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This is how the current windows are now. Not to mention only a single pan of glass [thinking]
That was my story, leaked and was no better than me hanging a sheet of plastic. Plus we had someone smash one to try and get into the house, they just missed the fact there was a shepherd sleeping in the basement !

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I been in the same boat for the past 8 years....takes a very long time to get anyone in to do anything less than complete renovation.

Windows are even worse... I needed a bay window done 8 years ago. Finally went with Renewal by Andersen. they where not much more in cost than anyone else but as soon as I agreed to the job they came the day they said they would and if where not for a new window I would have never known they set foot in my house.

Now I need more windows. Only place that even came out to look was champion and quoted me $5400 on 4 windows, IDTS ....so I bought 3 Andersen 400s to do myself. I have a friend that will help but hes tough to pin down for work also.

Even Andersen giggled when I said I just want to do the 3 now....

Few others I cant get in to do work
Landscapers
Electricians
Well Water

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I been in the same boat for the past 8 years....takes a very long time to get anyone in to do anything less than complete renovation.

Windows are even worse... I needed a bay window done 8 years ago. Finally went with Renewal by Andersen. they where not much more in cost than anyone else but as soon as I agreed to the job they came the day they said they would and if where not for a new window I would have never known they set foot in my house.

Now I need more windows. Only place that even came out to look was champion and quoted me $5400 on 4 windows, IDTS ....so I bought 3 Andersen 400s to do myself. I have a friend that will help but hes tough to pin down for work also.

Landscapers
Electricians
Well Water
How much were the Andersen 400's each?

IDK I bet you make more than the average window installer?
My father was a builder. He said if he could do it over again, he'd just specialize in replacement windows. The only tough part is if you pull out a window and find a nest of carpenter ants or something. Then it becomes a whole other project.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
How much were the Andersen 400's each?

My father was a builder. He said if he could do it over again, he'd just specialize in replacement windows. The only tough part is if you pull out a window and find a nest of carpenter ants or something. Then it becomes a whole other project.
$1100 for 3 windows. Also my windows are non standard size so they are more money. I was able to get 2 windows with out the custom size fee as im going down to the studs and "new construction" windows going in and I can take a 1" or so off the bottom sill plate .
Your dad might have been looking at a easier way to make money. The money cant be all that good or the trades would be flooded with young folks....im not seeing it.

Last edited:

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
(Your dad might have been looking at a easier way to make money. The money cant be all that good or the trades would be flooded with young folks....im not seeing it.[/QUOTE])

plumbers are pushing a $1000 a day. Would you consider that good? And the median age of a plumber in this country is 50+. The smart young folks are Looking at the trades. The guys coming out with Tech degrees are a dime a dozen and $100,000 in the hole to start. My kids will not be drinking the you must go to college koolaid.

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
(Your dad might have been looking at a easier way to make money. The money cant be all that good or the trades would be flooded with young folks....im not seeing it.
)

plumbers are pushing a $1000 a day. Would you consider that good? And the median age of a plumber in this country is 50+. The smart young folks are Looking at the trades. The guys coming out with Tech degrees are a dime a dozen and $100,000 in the hole to start. My kids will not be drinking the you must go to college koolaid.[/QUOTE]
$1000. A day is a bit misleading, the business may charge 85-100 p/hour but that covers ins., gas, workers comp, and all those other costs of doing business, The actual plumber doing the work is at average 30-40 p/hour depending on location.

Plumbers get a bad rap, but the reason they make good money is because they are in demand and work their frickin asses off day after day, touching kaka

Last edited:

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0

Landscapers
Electricians
Well Water
Damn. I just wish they were up front about not being able to do the work. I had this carpenter come by my house in March or April and said he could do the work in the next 1-2 months. Then it just kept snowballing from there and he we are in the middle of october and he's saying Thanksgiving....

I had good luck with a landscaper but that was in April when he wasn't in full swing quite yet. I suspect if I had asked him to do work in July or August I would have been waiting around?...

I thought about renewal by Anderson but since the windows are old and the exterior trim needs to be replaced, I figured it made sense to go with a new construction window to ensure everything (framing, insulation etc) is in good shape. I also wasn't sure if the quality of the replacement windows would be any good? As good/better than the 400 series I've had installed?

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The only tough part is if you pull out a window and find a nest of carpenter ants or something. Then it becomes a whole other project.
This has been my concern and why I've preferred using a carpenter. But so far I've been lucky. The rot has been limited to the exterior siding/trim...

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
And if you look at the installation instructions there is a way to tilt the opening even more....it's all in that hinge setup
Yup! I was kinda bummed when I got the windows and saw how limited the opening was and figured there had to be a way to adjust it. I quickly figured it out and now they open damn near 90 degrees. And the gasket/flange around the window pane makes for a super tight seal. I can't wait to get these installed. Should really help keep my basement a little warmer in the winter. Also keep the wind driven rain out too.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
$1100 for 3 windows. Also my windows are non standard size so they are more money. I was able to get 2 windows with out the custom size fee as im going down to the studs and "new construction" windows going in and I can take a 1" or so off the bottom sill plate .
Your dad might have been looking at a easier way to make money. The money cant be all that good or the trades would be flooded with young folks....im not seeing it.
That's more or less what I had been paying for my 400 series windows. Depending on the size. My carpenter was going to HD in NH (has a cabin up there) to buy the windows and save the tax.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know. I’ve reached out to other contractors/carpenters and haven’t heard back. Charlie Silva (this old house - Tom Silva’s brother) was supposed to come by and check it out so he could recommend a carpenter but he didn’t respond to my last email. Might have to send another one as I’m sure he’s busy. I did him a favor over the summer and he gave me his cell phone number if I ever needed work done on my house...
Anyway, these are new construction windows and the exterior trim needs to be replaced and some of the windows are on the second floor which can make it tricky if you don’t have scaffolding or whatever they use.
I was really pleased with this guy’s work who did my other windows 2 years ago. You literally couldn’t tell that the interior trim was removed and put back. The previous carpenters I had were really sloppy so that’s why I’d like to use the same guy if possible.

But the basement windows look like something I might be able to do myself. Just need to find the time.
Charlie is Toms nephew. He is running the day to day craziness of all their jobs.
The work would be top notch, but they have a long line of high end work ahead of you, and are not cheap.
They are in deadline mode, trying to beat the weather and get inside, on the Manchester tv project, that will be airing the 2nd half of this season, and 2 other huge $$ jobs locally that are straight out.
If they can help you out, that would be great, but sounds like you need it done sooner than later.

Cape Ann | Exterior

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Charlie is Toms nephew. He is running the day to day craziness of all their jobs.
The work would be top notch, but they have a long line of high end work ahead of you, and are not cheap.
They are in deadline mode, trying to beat the weather and get inside, on the Manchester tv project, that will be airing the 2nd half of this season, and 2 other huge $$ jobs locally that are straight out.
If they can help you out, that would be great, but sounds like you need it done sooner than later.

Cape Ann | Exterior
Haha whoops! I think I assumed they were brothers due to their company name being Silva Brothers Construction[laugh]

Yeah I figured they would be crazy expensive and have TONS of other work. He didn't confirm whether or not it would be his guys doing the work at my house. He made it seem like he would come by and look at what needs to be done and refer me to a carpenter/contractor that he recommends? Don't know.

Thanks for the link. They seem to be doing a lot of work in Manchester (not surprised..$$$). I helped him out for a jobsite he had on Proctor Street in Manchester - this was back in June. I don't think that's the same house that they're working on now for this old house as the one on Proctor Street was going to be demolished if I recall....

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Charlie has multiple crews going at the same time, and they get moved around depending on deadlines.
They have never had a slow time. His clients are usually recession proof!
But who knows, he might know someone looking for fill in or side work.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
50 plus I agree on $1000 a day no... wait is that why they only work a day or 2 a week?
If that where the case the few plumbers I know might have better vans.
I know 3 plumbers all pushing 50 they dont do anything but new construction.

Now if you a small business with say 3 guys the Business might have to charge $1000 a day per person to survive especially if your running legit in Mass.
Heck 3 guys legit im mass will cost a owner $1000 a year for the new leave act tax. So thats one less days pay gone.
Fun stuff.
I will be needing a plumber all to soon
Im not looking forward to it.

The running joke with the guts i know doing framing and house building is they are building their own nursing home.
These guys also wont do shit for small jobs.
When you need small jobs done its hard to get someone. Even the “handyman” type.
If they are any good they wont get to ypu anytime soon.
I tried one of the “big” handyman services. I could not get them out of my house fast enough.

Could you imagine if the auto repair ran on some of the same billing as some trades?
Yes sir thats correct we get a minimum charge of $100 plus parts .
Yes sir I understand it only took 10 min to change that light bulb.
Fun stuff

Last edited:

gerrycaruso

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've installed many Harvey windows and like them. They'll make them in any size you need and between hopper, rolling and awning, you should be able to find something that suits you. The window is vinyl and if moisture is an issue, use pvc exterior trim.

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You guys thinking a plumber is making $50 a hour are living in the 90s. I sub out plumbers (residential) just north of Boston ALL the time, they are all over $100 a hour, ones worth hiring anyway. Plus they are marking up stock. Liability and on a lone wolf residential plumber works out to a couple bucks a day. Some will give a price as “ Industry standard pricing” and tell you they make less, sit back count the hours and actual cost of the stock..it’s gonna be over a $100 an hour. If anyone here finds a GOOD plumber for $50 a hour please send me his contact info I’ll keep him busy for the rest of his life and give him a raise.

Top Bottom