• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barrett .50 cal legality in MA?

je25ff

NES Member
I am seriously considering picking one of these up but am not sure if I will run into any legal issues and I haven't explored whether or not the gun club I belong to will even allow it.

I assume that the normal Massachusetts assault rifle laws apply?

It's unclear as to whether the Barrett was ever added to the Boston list, but either way the original proposal was for the Barrett only, not all 50s.

Awesome. Thanks, guys. I found a new one for sale for around 6 grand. It's an expensive toy for sure.

BEFORE you buy, check with your club. MANY will NOT allow anyone to shoot a .50 rifle at their ranges. Also to do justice to such a gun/round, you really need a 300+ yd range to shoot it on.

BEFORE you buy, check with your club. MANY will NOT allow anyone to shoot a .50 rifle at their ranges. Also to do justice to such a gun/round, you really need a 300+ yd range to shoot it on.

I am a member at Harvard Sportsman's that has a 300 yard range. I am going to email Rick Johnson and see what he says about it. I still need to talk to him about setting up a time to qualify for it first with my ar.

@44Marty - Thanks for the info.

I am a member at Harvard Sportsman's that has a 300 yard range. I am going to email Rick Johnson and see what he says about it.
Harvard has a rather active group of 50 cal shooters.

Harvard has no problem with .50s. Just make damned sure you're using ball ammo, nothing tracer or incendiary.

I realize that this is an old thread.. Quick question.. What Makes the Sig50 Not mass compliant?

I believe the only issues mentioned above were that it is against the Boston AWB, and some clubs may not allow them. Nothing about it not being Mass compliant. It also appears you can own one with just an FID.

I wish there was a range in or near MA that would let the .50 stretch out. Shooting one at 300 is like running a Formula 1 car at Lee Speedway.

I'm sue if you visit your local recruiting office, they'll set you right up.

[laugh]

Maybe with moving, reactive targets, too. [wink]

Been there, done that. The pay is better on the outside. (Ammo is more expensive though.)

Back
Top Bottom