• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barrel obstructed - suggestion for builders

Just inspected my barrels for the builds I'm doing over the next few weeks and found one had an issue. Some sort of debris or obstruction in the barrel... and a boresnake wont clear it. I'm just glad I checked them before I assembled. Hopefully I'll get a replacement without any hassles.

Yes. They got back to me promptly and told me to run a brush. After the brush and a dry patch the barrel seems clear. Nothing came out of the barrel that I could tell... any idea if the barrel is safe to shoot?

Did you remove the gas block and visually inspect the port? I would just to insure that you didn't force the debris up into the port itself.

Did you remove the gas block and visually inspect the port? I would just to insure that you didn't force the debris up into the port itself.

I just squirted some gun scrubber down the gas tube to clean it out, a shot of compressed air would probably do the same.

I just squirted some gun scrubber down the gas tube to clean it out, a shot of compressed air would probably do the same.

This should work unless it is essentially a "tab" of metal left behind from the port machining process that is still attached to the inside of the barrel.

any idea if the barrel is safe to shoot?

Is this an assembled upper or a stripped barrel?

Give it a good hard look from both ends with the aid of a bore light, follow the rifling pattern, assuming you don't see any interruptions to the lands and grooves I'd say it's fine.

If it's already built and you have compressed air, you can always send a little blast through the gas tube from inside the receiver, then check the barrel again to see if you blew anything into it.

I wouldn't bother pulling the gas block off.

If you were to end up with a gas tube obstruction, it's not really a safety issue although you will have cycling problems.

This should work unless it is essentially a "tab" of metal left behind from the port machining process that is still attached to the inside of the barrel.

Agreed, you would think when they drill the hole they would remove any junk but I guess you never know, sometimes things get missed. I have two Del-ton barrels that had crap in the gas port hole, fortunately it cleaned out nicely.

Is this an assembled upper or a stripped barrel?

Give it a good hard look from both ends with the aid of a bore light, follow the rifling pattern, assuming you don't see any interruptions to the lands and grooves I'd say it's fine.

If it's already built and you have compressed air, you can always send a little blast through the gas tube from inside the receiver, then check the barrel again to see if you blew anything into it.

I wouldn't bother pulling the gas block off.

If you were to end up with a gas tube obstruction, it's not really a safety issue although you will have cycling problems.

Same advice here. A couple of rounds may clean it up. I would just break it down and clean it well afterwards in the event that the shaving made its way back through the gas tube.

The manufacturer cleared me for building, they think it isn't an issue. I'll inspect it again before assembling and will try the compressed air too while its still off the rifle.

I figure its not a safety issue so I'll see what happens. Removing a front sight sucked every time I have tried it so I'll leave that as a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom