• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barrel Mounted Peep Sights ??

Billsail

NES Member
Has anyone tried a barrel mounted peep sight? I can't focus on the the rear buckhorn and front sight post on my new Henry. (old eyes) I don't want to muck up the classic look with a receiver mounted peep or a scope, and while I love the look of a tang sight, I think it would interfere with my grip on the straight wood stock. These Skinner sights can be had in a number of screw in aperture sizes, or you can unscrew the insert and use the frame as a ghost ring. I just don't know if I'll be able to see through a small hole at that distance. I suppose it would be fine with the largest diameter hole they offer, or remove it altogether. They ship it with the mid range .096" hole'.

They make these sights to fit a variety of guns including the 10/22, in brass, blue, and stainless. The newer Henry "Big Boy" series have screw holes, drilled and tapped on top of the receiver, or you can get one to replace your existing barrel mounted, dovetailed rear sight. I suppose they would work on any 3/8" dovetail mount, but I believe they will make one for any size.

http://www.skinnersights.com/

SNC16316[1].JPG

I have not but would think it would work provided you use the right apature for your needs.

There's certainly a benefit to having both sights on the barrel--as the factory intended. When I put the peep sight on the frame of my 10/22 it quickly became clear that the barrel and frame alignment was askew. I was able to shim the barrel into alignment but if you can avoid that process by putting both sights on the barrel that would be ideal. I'm not sure if the Henry would have this problem but seeing that their factory sights are on the barrel too and not spanning across the frame to barrel I suspect you could. The frame and barrel vertical alignment (cant) only becomes a real issue when you start changing elevation, which my shots were walking up at a 30 degree angle to the right when I changed elevation and NOT the windage. Also to get a zero without the shim I had to crank the rear like 75% to one side and that really bugged me. The shim was cut from an aluminum can--not that thick! yet it was just right to get the front sight straight.

check www.rimfirecentral.com for reviews

Last edited:
I have not but would think it would work provided you use the right apature for your needs.

There's certainly a benefit to having both sights on the barrel--as the factory intended. When I put the peep sight on the frame of my 10/22 it quickly became clear that the barrel and frame alignment was askew. I was able to shim the barrel into alignment but if you can avoid that process by putting both sights on the barrel that would be ideal. I'm not sure if the Henry would have this problem but seeing that their factory sights are on the barrel too and not spanning across the frame to barrel I suspect you could. The frame and barrel vertical alignment (cant) only becomes a real issue when you start changing elevation, which my shots were walking up at a 30 degree angle to the right when I changed elevation and NOT the windage. Also to get a zero without the shim I had to crank the rear like 75% to one side and that really bugged me. The shim was cut from an aluminum can--not that thick! yet it was just right to get the front sight straight.

check www.rimfirecentral.com for reviews

Thanks!

I got those sights for my Rossi 92. Seems to work pretty well.

I was worried that having the aperture so far away would not work, but the sight picture actually is pretty much the same
as with peep sights that are on the receiver.

I think what you lose a little of is the really sharp 'distance focus' that you would get from having a tiny aperture up close, so you don't get that really infinite depth of field focus as you would from say an AR15 rear sight.

But the new sight is better for me than the buckhorn sight was, it blocks out less of the target, and it does improve the depth of field some.

Just mounted this:
Gold_Henry.jpg

on my Henry Golden Boy, and it puts the front sight in perfect focus. I will sight it in this weekend. Looks great!

Hi BillSail,

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully you'll see this. I am considering the same Skinner sight for my Golden Boy. Did you have to change-out your front sight too, or did it work with the stock front sight? If you did change it, what size did you go with?

Thanks!

Just mounted this:
Gold_Henry.jpg

on my Henry Golden Boy, and it puts the front sight in perfect focus. I will sight it in this weekend. Looks great!

Hi BillSail,

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully you'll see this. I am considering the same Skinner sight for my Golden Boy. Did you have to change-out your front sight too, or did it work with the stock front sight? If you did change it, what size did you go with?

Thanks!

I thought I would need to change the front sight, but the Skinner had plenty of adjustment. This is accomplished by loosening the setscrew on the side, and screwing it,up or down, to the desired height.

I would have ordered the model with the "blue" base however, as the brass base just looks "blocky", against the black barrel.

Thanks for the super helpful info! I've been going back and forth on getting the Brass-Base, or the Blue-Base with Brass peep insert, and that is good info about how it looks.

I thought I would need to change the front sight, but the Skinner had plenty of adjustment. This is accomplished by loosening the setscrew on the side, and screwing it,up or down, to the desired height.

I would have ordered the model with the "blue" base however, as the brass base just looks "blocky", against the black barrel.

Back
Top Bottom