• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barrel Length questions

I've been searching the ATF website for half an our and so far I haven't been able to get a straight answer to this seemingly simple question, so here it goes. Is the minimum legal length for a shotgun or rifle barrel 16 or 18 inches, and is it a federal minimum or a state minimum? If state, which is it for Massachusetts?

Its a federal minimum. Anything shorter is an SBR/SBS and needs to be registered and the $200 NFA tax paid. There's a great MA NFA FAQ here that explains what you need to do to own one, if you're interested.

Eh, it's interesting, but I don't think I'll do it. The shotgun I'm cutting down would be fine at 18.5 inches: shorter would be nice but I dunno if It'd cut it down too much more and it's not worth the money to me. Thanks for your help, guys.

Eh, it's interesting, but I don't think I'll do it. The shotgun I'm cutting down would be fine at 18.5 inches: shorter would be nice but I dunno if It'd cut it down too much more and it's not worth the money to me. Thanks for your help, guys.

You can't cut a shotgun down below 18" in MA anyway. If you do it's an illegal sawed off shotgun. You can however buy factory SBS's.

Back
Top Bottom