Barrel defect in 1911?

OCB

I bought a new S&W 1911PD about three or four weeks ago and haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I was looking at it this evening and noticed some light rust on the inside of the barrel. When I took it apart to clean it up, I looked down the barrel and noticed a 'ring' about an inch from the muzzle end that almost looks like a tool mark. Having no experience with 1911s, I wasn't sure if this is supposed to be there or not.

dscn0305qu.jpg

dscn0308l.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but you can see parts of the ring in both of them.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Have you tried any solvents? It could be lead left behind by a squib that was manually pushed back out. I'd clean it up real good and see if the ring goes away.

Hey, if you feel uncomfortable about it, call S&W. I'll bet they send you a postage paid envelope and you'll get a new barrel within a week.

I'd send that back, rings usually indicate a bulged barrel. Take a micrometer to the outside of the barrel to see if it is bulged, then take a bent paper clip and run it inside the barrel, see if its a depression or a build up

Last edited:
I'd send that back, rings usually indicate a bulged barrel. Take a micrometer to the outside of the barrel to see if it is bulged, then take a bent paper clip and run it inside the barrel, see if its a depression or a build up

Ah, didn't see the rings.

it could turn out to be the most accurate 1911 ever. Just kidding. get a new barrel like people said above.

The first image almost looks like the ring continues into the grooves from the lands, making it pretty deep. I was going along the same lines as the paper-clip, but thinking softer - like a straw or coffee stirrer. It looks like a gouge from the photos, almost like a button rifled barrel and the button twisted sightly, indenting the lands and marring the grooves.

A squib, or a metallurgy problem (maybe) or a stupidly hot load, although usually in a .45 he would have had to have a full blown KB in order to get a barrel bulge.

-Mike

I have a Colt 1911 bulged barrel that I bought from a gunsmith. I use it to show students why squibs are important. According to the gunsmith, the shooter knew he had a squib and decided to shoot it out. The next shot did, indeed, remove the squib but it also bulged the barrel. The gunsmith said the gun was otherwise undamaged.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't fired the gun yet, so whatever damage was done to the barrel either occurred during manufacturing or during the test fire at the factory. I'll mic it out this evening to see if I can detect a bulge.

I bought a new S&W 1911PD about three or four weeks ago and haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I was looking at it this evening and noticed some light rust on the inside of the barrel. When I took it apart to clean it up, I looked down the barrel and noticed a 'ring' about an inch from the muzzle end that almost looks like a tool mark. Having no experience with 1911s, I wasn't sure if this is supposed to be there or not.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but you can see parts of the ring in both of them.
Any suggestions?

My MP40c has the same mark in the same place, but it only affects the lands.

ETA - thanks for the reminder, I just spoke with S&W customer service, they told me its most likely NOT supposed to be that way (kind of figured) and they would swap out for a new barrel if I wanted them to. I'll probably drop it off to them next time I’m down there. This mark was there when I bought the gun new.

Last edited:
Now that I see the pictures on a full sized screen, and not my phone, I agree that it looks like cuts rather than deposits. I'd clean it just to be sure and then send it in if it's still there. A brand new gun should be as perfect as possible.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't fired the gun yet, so whatever damage was done to the barrel either occurred during manufacturing or during the test fire at the factory. I'll mic it out this evening to see if I can detect a bulge.

If this is an unfired gun, it needs to go back and the barrel replaced. I wouldn't start out life with this gun if there is any question.

Back
Top Bottom