Barnstable Man Pleads Guilty to Selling Ghost Guns

A Barnstable man pleaded guilty yesterday in federal court in Boston in connection with selling four “ghost guns” to an undercover agent. Between May 25, 2020 and June 15, 2020, Jacob Linhares sold four Privately Made Firearms (PMFs) he had personally fabricated to an undercover agent. Due to prior felony convictions, Linhares is prohibited from possessing firearms. Linhares was arrested and charged on June 15, 2021. Linhares, 34, pleaded guilty to one count of dealing in firearms without a license and being a felon in possession of a firearm. U.S. Senior District Court Judge Douglas Woodlock scheduled sentencing for April 12, 2022.

Yep. "He made and sold 4 guns." Ummm, that's not illegal. "And he's a felon." OH! Well that explains the whole massive BMF PMF sting operation.
He was prohibited to own a gun, to begin with! He sold 4 guns to an undercover agent. How many more did he sell to non-undercover agents? Next, you see headlines "Drug bust netted 10 ghost guns" and those guns would very likely be from the "just 4 guns" individual.

That said, it is rather revealing to see them explain how they entrapped him: The guy agreed to accept a serialized gun as a form of payment! This guy was probably selling completed frames(without slides) to a person with a valid LTC but was tripped when he accepted a gun as payment.

Oh, and Dennis, this guy is from Dennis! [rofl]

That said, it is rather revealing to see them explain how they entrapped him: The guy agreed to accept a serialized gun as a form of payment! This guy was probably selling completed frames(without slides) to a person with a valid LTC but was tripped when he accepted a gun as payment.

I would think they did that as proof he indeed possessed an actual “firearm” by taking a firearm from their inventory and giving it to him. I would think that was so he couldn’t argue that his 80% guns were not functioning firearms.

Last edited:
Title should read “Felon and Prohibited Person Arrested For Selling Illegally-Possessed Firearms”.
And if you'd read the article, you'd learn that Linhares was busted for holding/possessing a gun an undercover officer offered as payment. In other words, the same undercover officer paid in cash for the first 3 guns which makes no sense. If Linhares was a prohibited person then even having ONE, forget about three guns, would be enough for an arrest and conviction. So why was it not enough? I see only one reason: the first three "ghost guns" weren't really guns but rather the typical 80% kits.

Last edited:
And if you'd read the article, you'd learn that Linhares was busted for holding/possessing a gun an undercover officer offered as payment. In other words, the same undercover officer paid in cash for the first 3 guns which makes no sense. If Linhares was a prohibited person then even having ONE, forget about three guns, would be enough for an arrest and conviction. So why was it not enough? I see only one reason: the first three "ghost guns" weren't really guns but rather the typical 80% kits.
Should read "Alphabet boys frustrated by letter of the law, bait dumbass felon into another felony"

A Barnstable man pleaded guilty yesterday in federal court in Boston in connection with selling four “ghost guns” to an undercover agent. Between May 25, 2020 and June 15, 2020, Jacob Linhares sold four Privately Made Firearms (PMFs) he had personally fabricated to an undercover agent. Due to prior felony convictions, Linhares is prohibited from possessing firearms. Linhares was arrested and charged on June 15, 2021. Linhares, 34, pleaded guilty to one count of dealing in firearms without a license and being a felon in possession of a firearm. U.S. Senior District Court Judge Douglas Woodlock scheduled sentencing for April 12, 2022.

I could be mad that a felon who served his sentence is prohibited. I could be mad that you need a license to sell a firearm. I could be mad that the atf set him up. But what really get upsets me is how they are skewing the story to make it more about ghost guns than anything else. It is the narrative and agenda that does the most harm. News can no longer just be news, it has to have an agenda or be dramatic. Even weather forecasters choose to sensationalize events rather than just report the predictions or actual live events.

I mean this guy was selling completed p80’s to drug dealers. He was legit selling crime guns and that’s what started the whole thing. He was ratted out buy a mid level dealer/gang member in Brockton and that’s how he was busted. Not sure they really “set him up”.

I mean this guy was selling completed p80’s to drug dealers. He was legit selling crime guns and that’s what started the whole thing. He was ratted out buy a mid level dealer/gang member in Brockton and that’s how he was busted. Not sure they really “set him up”.
This is news. this is the first time I see this info. Can you point to the link where we can read about the details of this case

Not arguing that what he was doing was most likely nefarious and dumb... but they clearly handed him the opportunity to commit a felony and he followed through

This is news. this is the first time I see this info. Can you point to the link where we can read about the details of this case
I read the indictment on the DOJ website when the dealer was busted. I am not sure I can find the exact release on the dealer being busted but I distinctly remember the story. It is interesting to read the press releases and see how a lot of the cases link together on the federal level.

Here is a similar story also.

I looked back I but I can’t find the dealer bust but I know for a fact it’s on the DOJ site.

In the Franklin MA thread there was another post with a link to the DOJ website with a Franklin resident who was arrested for trafficking guns he purchased at FFL’s to drug dealers in trade for fentanyl. Pretty interesting because a month prior there was the story of the same Drug dealer caught in possession of said fire arm in Pawtucket. Between NES, the main stream media and the DOJ website you can kind of piece it all together.

Edit: Clearly this is an example of well done policing IMO. They don’t seem like the kind of guys anyone here would get along with to say the least. (Credit to other NES members before me sleuthing and turning me on to the DOJ website).

That's not entrapment because they didn't induce him to do something that he otherwise wasn't inclined or planning to do. He could have just said "No, I don't want that, it will just get me in trouble." He violated the law when he sold a frame to someone else, while not being a licensed FFL. Plus, they didn't have serial numbers.
He was prohibited to own a gun, to begin with! He sold 4 guns to an undercover agent. How many more did he sell to non-undercover agents? Next, you see headlines "Drug bust netted 10 ghost guns" and those guns would very likely be from the "just 4 guns" individual.

Was he selling 80% frames? If so, then you're right. If they were finished frames, then it's illegal. Remember, the frame is the firearm under federal law.

Yep. "He made and sold 4 guns." Ummm, that's not illegal. "And he's a felon." OH! Well that explains the whole massive BMF PMF sting operation.

I read the indictment on the DOJ website when the dealer was busted. I am not sure I can find the exact release on the dealer being busted but I distinctly remember the story. It is interesting to read the press releases and see how a lot of the cases link together on the federal level.

Here is a similar story also.

I looked back I but I can’t find the dealer bust but I know for a fact it’s on the DOJ site.

In the Franklin MA thread there was another post with a link to the DOJ website with a Franklin resident who was arrested for trafficking guns he purchased at FFL’s to drug dealers in trade for fentanyl. Pretty interesting because a month prior there was the story of the same Drug dealer caught in possession of said fire arm in Pawtucket. Between NES, the main stream media and the DOJ website you can kind of piece it all together.

Edit: Clearly this is an example of well done policing IMO. They don’t seem like the kind of guys anyone here would get along with to say the least. (Credit to other NES members before me sleuthing and turning me on to the DOJ website).
I found the original DOJ press release when they arrested Linhares: Barnstable Man Charged with Firearm Trafficking

Incidentally, it is 99% identical to the most recent "plead guilty" news release.

I am starting to suspect that you've confused this case with others, Spartan65...

Last edited:
One has to assume that ATF has set their precedent to "being in the business of selling firearms" at 4 transactions per year. Same as the MA rule for private sale. Coincidence????

Watch the news for a drive by shooting in Brockton in the near future. [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Was he selling 80% frames? If so, then you're right. If they were finished frames, then it's illegal. Remember, the frame is the firearm under federal law.
Lets see he's a felon already. Unable to possess firearms legally. So once he stuck the drill bit in the 80% lower it became a firearm. At that moment he committed a crime.

The crime of felon in possession of a firearm. They didn't need entrapment...but just waited for him to be more stupid and sell, to rack up the charges, and ghost guns narrative.

The media of course has to spin it like he was joe average legal gun owner making stuff and selling it. No....he was a felon douchebag selling illegal guns.

Of course the media doesn't know or care about the intricacies of federal firearms law. NES members are mostly above average in their understanding of the law, so we can read between the lines. None gun owners and even some who own a gun or two for personal defense don't understand how complex both MA and federal laws are.

OTOH, I expect that the federally prohibited person knew exactly what he was doing and exactly why it was illegal.

Sometimes I wonder if there is a whole cadre of really smart criminals out there getting away with crimes, because it seems the cops only get the really dumb ones.
Lets see he's a felon already. Unable to possess firearms legally. So once he stuck the drill bit in the 80% lower it became a firearm. At that moment he committed a crime.

The crime of felon in possession of a firearm. They didn't need entrapment...but just waited for him to be more stupid and sell, to rack up the charges, and ghost guns narrative.

The media of course has to spin it like he was joe average legal gun owner making stuff and selling it. No....he was a felon douchebag selling illegal guns.

The media doesn't know S about F. That is, and never was, their job. Ergo, they just don't care.

I'm re-reading Crichton's Airframe. Same problem. LOL. It's actually painful to read this book b/c you can see it coming from a mile away. The press doesn't care about teh truth, just teh story.

As we've seen over the past almost two years where they lied about COVID at every turn.

The media doesn't know S about F. That is, and never was, their job. Ergo, they just don't care.

I'm re-reading Crichton's Airframe. Same problem. LOL. It's actually painful to read this book b/c you can see it coming from a mile away. The press doesn't care about teh truth, just teh story.

Back
Top Bottom