Barn Find SKS

What can you tell me about it?

From the minimal research I've done, it is a Chinese Type 56--made in Factory 26. No import marks.

Matching serials on receiver, dust cover, stock, and bolt. Serial # begins 11. 6-digit 347***

Any idea what year this might have been made?

The original trigger group is most likely MIA forever.

Where's the best place to find a salty-looking Chinese trigger group?

1 by Eight Ring

2 by Eight Ring

3 by Eight Ring

4 by Eight Ring

5 by Eight Ring

6A by Eight Ring

6B by Eight Ring

7 by Eight Ring

8 by Eight Ring

Rusty 1 by Eight Ring

Rusty Cleaning Kit by Eight Ring

take the bolt out and clean the heck out of it and remove and clean the firing pin and the little tube on the bolt it fits in. When you fire it for the first time, load one round to make sure it fires and then load two to make sure it fires semi. You really don't want to load ten with a dirty bolt and firing pin and find out you have a full auto conversion by mistake, ask me how I know.......

eBay has a bunch of trigger guards this one looked the crustiest.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-SKS-Stamped-Trigger-Assembly-/294900233426?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

take the bolt out and clean the heck out of it and remove and clean the firing pin and the little tube on the bolt it fits in. When you fire it for the first time, load one round to make sure it fires and then load two to make sure it fires semi. You really don't want to load ten with a dirty bolt and firing pin and find out you have a full auto conversion by mistake, ask me how I know.......

Will do.

Also, check the gas system for rust. Finding an unmarked Chinese SKS in the barn/attic/closet with no import marks probably means either Korea or Vietnam bring back. Meaning corrosive ammo was shot through the gun and it could've been stored with the salts still active.

Also, check the gas system for rust. Finding an unmarked Chinese SKS in the barn/attic/closet with no import marks probably means either Korea or Vietnam bring back. Meaning corrosive ammo was shot through the gun and it could've been stored with the salts still active.

I'm thinking whoever was issued this thing had a pretty rough life.

Externally it looks beat to shit, but the internals look hardly fired. Check out the picture of the muzzle crown.

I'm thinking whoever was issued this thing had a pretty rough life.

Externally it looks beat to shit, but the internals look hardly fired. Check out the picture of the muzzle crown.

I think a lot of the rust happened stateside. I mean why would someone bring home a rusted SKS from a war when there were tons of nice guns around? 7.62x39 wasn't really around in the US until the late 70s, early 80s, when Chinese imported ammo came in. Could've just sat in grandpa's closet without oil for decades, rusting away.

Like I said, I would just look over the gas piston and tube.

Look real close for import marks
under the barrel ?
Where SKS a popular import prior to 1968?
When dd the chinese start manufacturing SKS rifles?
Anyhow my SKS rifles have very small almost ghost like import stamps not like the newer bill bord style stamping of recent imports.
Should clean up nice, maybe boil that rust?

I'd look really close for those import marks, Century Arms used some very small marks on the barrel on the tons of SKSs they brought in. The removed bayonet mount has me thinking it came in post 94. They weren't considered AWs but removal of the bayonet mount was common. I can't tell from the picture if it was milled off or hacksawed, this would be a good indicator of who removed it, importer or bubba.

Maybe a good candidate for electrolysis? I had some rust on mine plus some cosmoline. Full disassembly and ran it for about 8hrs. All rust and cosmo gone. Good luck

Then you need to do something to protect the metal after. A good steaming/boil will convert that rust then oil to protect it again.

What can you tell me about it?

From the minimal research I've done, it is a Chinese Type 56--made in Factory 26. No import marks.

Matching serials on receiver, dust cover, stock, and bolt. Serial # begins 11. 6-digit 347***

Any idea what year this might have been made?

The original trigger group is most likely MIA forever.

Where's the best place to find a salty-looking Chinese trigger group?

1 by Eight Ring

2 by Eight Ring

3 by Eight Ring

4 by Eight Ring

5 by Eight Ring

6A by Eight Ring

6B by Eight Ring

7 by Eight Ring

8 by Eight Ring

Rusty 1 by Eight Ring

Rusty Cleaning Kit by Eight Ring
I wounder what happened to the trigger assembly . Maybe removed at some point to do some trigger work.
Also just in case and for those that do not know. The sks safety only blocks the trigger and does not prevent the hanmer from falling.
The grooves/lands look very strong on that bore. Should shoot just fine

Locating a trigger assembly online should be easy, seen them at about $100. The mag will be harder but the parts to repair it look to be more available. Took me about 3months to find a mag and it was out of Canada. It was pinned to 5 rounds but removal of the pin was easy. Good luck, cant wait to see what you do with this.

Last edited:
Pics of rifle scrubbed and oiled.

Found the trigger group on EBAY. Paid out the assh*le, but what can you do. There weren't any to be had cheaper, so I guess the price is the price.

Where does a guy find 7.62X39 locally? Preferably non-corrosive/Boxer primed/brass case.

Barn Find SKS 4

A

3a

Barn Find SKS
Order off targetsports, check the classified on here as I’ve seen plenty, and I know there’s a thread about a store in NH that has cases.

The republic stuff on targetsports is cheap and good quality.

Back
Top Bottom