• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barn Find Need help correctly identifying it

My brother found this in his mother in-laws barn. I saw it for the first time last night and have just started looking into it. Any help on identifying what it is. All help will be appreciated.

IMG_0225.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg IMG_0227.jpg IMG_0228.jpg IMG_0230.jpg

Yep. Looks like a SMLE No 1 Mk III to me. Some mil-surp guy could prob be more specific if i'm wrong.

Looks like it's missing the magazine and the bolt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

1024px-Lee-Enfield_Mk_III_%28No_1_Mk_3%29_-_AM.032056.jpg

That SMLE looks like it was the barn for a long time. I bet it would clean up well though. To tell you more about it... I need to know what it says on the left wrist, which is the strip of metal between the buttstock and the fore end stock. It might have a Crown, two letters, a maker mark, a year and then the model, something like Sht LE. But it all depends and when and where it was made. Also, on the opposite side of the barrel than the one you show up close in the photo there should be some markings as well. You can also check to see if the serial numbers match in the end of the round tip of the nosecap and the rear sight. And as all ready stated, I agree you will find the bolt and the full mag some where very near to the where the rifle was found. It will be up high and out of site... but easy to grab if you know it is there. That is what I call a barn gun. It is a gun you put in the barn in case you are out there or out side and need a gun quick. It is common up here in Maine for the old timers to do just that. I think it is a tradition that is still in effect in some parts.

With the magazine cut off, the British proof marks and the N serial number prefix, I will take a wild guess and say it is a ROF Enfield rifle made 1916 or before. If you could include a pic of the rear sight as well that would be great. I am wondering if it still has the rear windage wheel.

Last edited:
Its fun to find guns......so far I have only found pellet guns.. a few nice ones though. Nice find.

I live in a mid 1800's house. Everytime I tare a wall apart I hope to find something. So far all I have found are mouse skeletons and a civil war button. :(

Back
Top Bottom