• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Baretta A400 Xcel "blackout edition" reviews?

Im on the hunt for a baretta A400 Xcel "Black out Edition" 12 gauge for trap. I haven't shot clay in a while, but have been getting back into it lately at my club. Anyone here own one? If so how do you like it?

Im also open to another suggestion for a nice gas piston semi auto 12 gauge for trap/skeet instead of that baretta model, just want something the safety can be switched for a left handed shooter. .

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you

I own a few A400's like them. I have 12 gauge and 20 gauge Xcel a 12 gauge upland. Beretta are nice shotguns I like the kickoff stocks. Got the 1st A400 Xcel when they 1st came out never had a problem with it. If you can try one out it would be nice to see if you like it. If I can ask one question why a auto have you looked at over and under shotgun..

Thank you for the response. I like the gas poston semi autos....less maintenance to😁.I got the baretta 1301 tactical 12 gauge and have got very comfortable shooting that, I even shoot clays with it sometimes. I cant find solid information, do you know if the safety is reversible on the X400 xcel like it is on the baretta 1301 ? I have also been eyeballing the over under 12 gauges....like the CZ and the benelli. Any suggestions on a decent over under 1e gauge and 20 gauge? Thank you for your information.

Would that a400 xcel 20 gauge be good for my wife with less kickback? She liked shooting clays, but the 12 gauge has a little to much zing for her.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I like the gas poston semi autos....less maintenance to😁.I got the baretta 1301 tactical 12 gauge and have got very comfortable shooting that, I even shoot clays with it sometimes. I cant find solid information, do you know if the safety is reversible on the X400 xcel like it is on the baretta 1301 ? I have also been eyeballing the over under 12 gauges....like the CZ and the benelli. Any suggestions on a decent over under 1e gauge and 20 gauge? Thank you for your information.

Would that a400 xcel 20 gauge be good for my wife with less kickback? She liked shooting clays, but the 12 gauge has a little to much zing for her.
make sure the model you get will have that 'Kick-Off Mega & Kick-Off3 with Soft Comb' and you wife will have no issues with recoil.
i installed an earlier model of it into my 1301 and it smoothed the kick big time. i dunno which a400 models come with it stock and which do not, but it is definitely worth it to have it.
you can see it in this model picture - in the middle of the stock.

shooting clay from 20ga will be annoying. 12ga is the way.

I have a 1301 too they take the same choked plus you can shim it over for a left handed shooter
Thank you....ill check that out. Saw the butt extensions that came with my 1301....is it supposed to come with shims also? Don't remeber seeing any.

make sure the model you get will have that 'Kick-Off Mega & Kick-Off3 with Soft Comb' and you wife will have no issues with recoil.
i installed an earlier model of it into my 1301 and it smoothed the kick big time. i dunno which a400 models come with it stock and which do not, but it is definitely worth it to have it.
you can see it in this model picture - in the middle of the stock.

shooting clay from 20ga will be annoying. 12ga is the way.
Thank you for that information....I will see what model has that.

Any other left hand shooters here? Do you know of any companies that make the ejection port on the left side for a gas operated clay 12 gauge?? Im sure its special order or additional just like any other firearm ive had to convert.....except for my IWI tavor X95, they made that in a left handed model.

Don't get hung up on a given maker or model.

Try before you buy, if you can.

Pretty much everyone here would say that my kid's Browning 725 is better than my prelapsarian A5 on the Trap line....but I HATE his gun, as it does not fit me, physically or mentally.

Full disclosure - the punk has been able to outshoot me on the Trap range since he was ~11, regardless of what he was using. [laugh]

Don't get hung up on a given maker or model.

Try before you buy, if you can.

Pretty much everyone here would say that my kid's Browning 725 is better than my prelapsarian A5 on the Trap line....but I HATE his gun, as it does not fit me, physically or mentally.

Full disclosure - the punk has been able to outshoot me on the Trap range since he was ~11, regardless of what he was using. [laugh]
Good point, I agree to try it out.

Lol! The kids have better vision.....thats my excuse anyway😁

are there anybody here who shoots clay at harvard?
i would love to join somebody to get some pointers and just begin, as still cannot make it to that range by the corner :)

I shoot an A300 lefty and have never had an issue with the ejection be it gasses or shells. Swapped the safety over and it’s good to go.

The A400s are sweeet. If I shot trap/skeet more I would totally spring for one.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

I think ive decided to go with a 12 gauge over under shotgun for. Seems like Browning, CZ, and a few others make some models for left handed shooters.

Any other left hand shooters here? Do you know of any companies that make the ejection port on the left side for a gas operated clay 12 gauge?? Im sure its special order or additional just like any other firearm ive had to convert.....except for my IWI tavor X95, they made that in a left handed model.
I ordered a left handed Beretta A400 Xplor. I love it. it's my go to shotgun for Skeet and upland hunting.

I ordered a left handed Beretta A400 Xplor. I love it. it's my go to shotgun for Skeet and upland hunting.
Thank you. I ended up ordering a 12 gauge 30" baretta silver pigeon left handed from Coles gunshop in Maine.....they were excellent to deal with. I go in a few weeks for my complimentary fitting and pick it up.

Thank you. I ended up ordering a 12 gauge 30" baretta silver pigeon left handed from Coles gunshop in Maine.....they were excellent to deal with. I go in a few weeks for my complimentary fitting and pick it up.
That is an excellent choice. My best friend uses a Silver Pigeon and is very happy with it. Good luck and congratulations!

That is an excellent choice. My best friend uses a Silver Pigeon and is very happy with it. Good luck and congratulations!
i see none of those over-under competition models offer berettas recoil reduction stocks - is it considered fraud upon among those circles?

I deal with Coles in Maine all the time for my Beretta and they are great! Before you go out the door with your gun, weigh the difference between Maine sales tax (unless you live in Maine) and shipping which is about $50. Shipping is usually cheaper. Again, unless you live in Maine, the gun will ship to your local FFL and transfer is about $25. Its still money ahead instead of sales tax! You will like your new SP!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom