BAR

PATRON

NES Life Member
NES Member
Have you ever had that one rifle you wanted ever since you were a kid.Well for me it was the 1918 BAR,AND in 1998 my dream sort of came true.OHIO Ord, was making the semi auto version of the WWII BAR well I put all my pennies together,and picked one up.I love the gun,and it's a lot of fun to shoot,but I still have the early 1918 in my head.Well OHIO Ord, just came out with a copy of the Colt 1918 BAR,ok I have to have one.Well the price tag is $8000.00 are they F%^king nuts! So the more I look at the gun (a light goes on in my head,dim but on) the receiver,and barrel on the Colt copy,and mine are the same.So it's conversion time here is a picture of what my rifle looked like,what it looks like now,and what it's going to look like.I am looking at around $1500 by the time I am done,but it will be a long time dream come true.All I have left to do is clip the ears on the trigger pack,and blue the gun.I also have to replace the rear sight with an early one,but those are a little tuff to find,and I can live with it till I find one.

Attachments

• bar1918.jpg
    bar1918.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 323
  • bar_m1918a2_notice_differences.jpg
    bar_m1918a2_notice_differences.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 346
  • 13407489_10206704839481393_1751761958_n (2).jpg
    13407489_10206704839481393_1751761958_n (2).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 330
8K is absolutely nuts!! I look at that BAR and instantly feel awful for the poor bastard that had to carry it! I wept openly when tasked with carrying one 60mm mortar round and 200 rounds of SAW ammo lol. The BAR is a beast!
Well done tho!

8K is absolutely nuts!! I look at that BAR and instantly feel awful for the poor bastard that had to carry it! I wept openly when tasked with carrying one 60mm mortar round and 200 rounds of SAW ammo lol. The BAR is a beast!
Well done tho!

My late Father humped one of those in WWII, I suspect that it was during the Battle of the Bulge but I never asked him specifics. He told me that he also humped spare barrels as they would regularly burn them out due to sustained fire.

My father carried one in the service.
It was his favorite and he always wanted to buy one .
Never happened , but he always talked about what a fine weapon it was and what it would do to whatever was on the recieving end of it.

Great project!

Those things are beasts! Gramps was a Staff Sergeant in the Red Arrow Brigade, Philippines. He was initially issued a BAR but switched to a Garand for clearing the Japs out of the mountains. Hats off to anyone who carried one of these monsters!

Len and Dadstoys, Its safe to say your fathers were ****ing animals. Loadout for a gunner back then was probably brutal. Hopefully they were able to get help humping the spare bbls and ammo. As much as I bitch and whine and complain on here, I was always first in line to carry SAW or 240 ammo, or a spare bbl.
Of course, if I was able to wrangle up a quad with a trailer or a Kawi Mule to carry all of our extras, I would have no problem trading peach vodka,JD, or Southern Comfort to do so.

Len and Dadstoys, Its safe to say your fathers were ****ing animals. Loadout for a gunner back then was probably brutal. Hopefully they were able to get help humping the spare bbls and ammo. As much as I bitch and whine and complain on here, I was always first in line to carry SAW or 240 ammo, or a spare bbl.
Of course, if I was able to wrangle up a quad with a trailer or a Kawi Mule to carry all of our extras, I would have no problem trading peach vodka,JD, or Southern Comfort to do so.

I don't think my Father weighed more than 160# back then, he must have been all muscle back then.

Mine was not a huge guy either, but i've never known anyone tougher.

seeing this thread i had only initially posted on to say cool job and keep us updated with pics to PATRON… , and now seeing it pop up again in the with a bit of story from len and dad, i must say to them thank you for sharing part of your fathers stories. as a young guy i appreciate hearing about it.
with respect for them, to you i say thank you

(and we really need a hang loose emoji here on NES, there's a rock on one… I'd personally use a hang loose one all the time! cheers gents)

Up date on my BAR 1918 conversion.Just picked up my BAR from Gartman Arms Tim did some work on it,He had to inlet the new wood some,and clip the ears on the trigger pack to look just like the original 1918 BAR.He did a great job,and now all that is left is sending the rifle of to get blued.

Attachments

• ws (3).jpg
    ws (3).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 216
a Colt monitor is possibly one of the most beautiful weapons ever made... look up the Texas Ranger museum piece...

Well it's finally done,Tim & Steve at G&N Gunsmithing .Located at Gartman Arms finished Bluing my 1918 BAR,and it looks great.

Attachments

• 18903028_10209569423774210_1564708709_n (2).jpg
    18903028_10209569423774210_1564708709_n (2).jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 190
by now you all have heard of this place called Sigonella. i was

stationed there in 63 snd 64. i was in the ordinance shop.

4 guys at a time were flown out to a bombing range. we took

some firearms and ammo, you can guess what we took and

a few others.

JimB

A good thread to bring back from the dead. ha :)

I have had a love for the BAR for as long as I can remember and yours is truly awesome. I would love to own one.

Well done tho!
At the 40th anniversary of DDay at Ponte du Hoc, I met Ranger First Sergeant Len Lomell. He picked up a BAR from a wounded Ranger during the assault, and carried it the rest of the war.

When I first started seeing the Ohio Ord. Stuff coming out I thought "cool but need to save some cash"
I was in Four seasons and they had the 1919 in 308 for like $1800 I thought awesome. By the time I saved up they where sold out then they where $2500 now they are $5k?

Back
Top Bottom