• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Baofeng UV5RA Ham Two Way Radio $28

These things are so cheap now they're considered disposable.
They now cost less than a replacement battery for a Motorola or Kenwood HT.
BTW, I saw the new 6M/2M model yesterday at Near-Fest, but that was slightly over $100.

Has anyone used this model? I may grab it just because it's so inexpensive. Thanks for posting.

I have a couple and they're decent. Not great but decent. I can hit a repeater 4.5 miles away with the stock "ducky" that came with the unit. The transmit quality seems good (no one complains about modulation). You can scan with it. Definately get Chirp to program them. Worth the 28 bucks.

BTW all the UV-5's are pretty much the same. Just the firmware varies.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Last edited:
Has anyone used this model? I may grab it just because it's so inexpensive. Thanks for posting.
yup. i picked up a net 20+ miles away last summer with an ed fong antenna on one of these. the fm reception is pretty good too. i take this camping. the battery life is great if you're just listening. i don't have a ham license so i don't transmit. i imagine that might chew up a little more battery than just listening in.

i *think* all the internals are the same. iirc the only difference between all the models is their appearance. there are a few other threads about the baofeng uv5 radios in the ham section. it was posted in one of the other threads here somewhere.....

see post #158
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/177337-UV-5R/page4
the whole thread is decent.

Last edited:
yup. i picked up a net 20+ miles away last summer with an ed fong antenna on one of these. the fm reception is pretty good too. i take this camping. the battery life is great if you're just listening. i don't have a ham license so i don't transmit. i imagine that might chew up a little more battery than just listening in.

Not having a ham license what happens if you accidentally hit transmit?

I am thinking about getting into ham but don't want legal problems if I accidentally hit the transmit button without a license..

Rich

Not having a ham license what happens if you accidentally hit transmit?

swat.jpg

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom