• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Banning Airguns

Just when you think it can't get any stranger....

Ban on airguns won't work, insist critics
HAMISH MACDONELL

MINISTERS insisted last night they would pursue plans for a Scotland-wide ban on all air weapons despite condemnation from airgun enthusiasts and a warning from a senior police officer a ban would not prevent future tragedies.

The SNP administration wants to ban all air weapons in Scotland and has started negotiations with the UK government to find ways of bringing this about.

Cont:

http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=1364272007

Is anything legal across the pond anymore?

Bad teeth?[smile]
austin-headb.jpg

Petty crime seems to be legal. They rather tell you to watch your stuff than do anything about the criminals.

One of the issues I found amazing was with my cell phone. Like most Americans, I carry it in a pouch clipped to my pants. Out in the open, easy to access. I was told that I'd likely lose it within 20 minutes if I wore it that way in the Tube or around London. Seems it would be taken and a HUGE bill would be racked up with calls to the middle east before the carrier could cancel the SIM.

One of my co-workers got off the tube near his home during my recent visit and patted himself down saying "Whew, I have it all." I can't remember ever taking the 'T' in Boston and worring about a pickpocket to the extent these people were on a normal outing.

Last edited:
Exactly my feelings. Doesn't anyone remember that New Bedford, MA tried to have BB guns banned apparently because police raided a crack house only to find the idiot inside waving a BB gun at the cops. It obviously didn't fly, thankfully.

I think you can still buy a pea shooter.

Peas are dangerous... you could put an eye out with a hard pea. I saw some guy up at OOB this weekend selling marshmallow guns (a PVC pipe that you blow into and the marshmallow flies out about 10 feet)... that's much safer, lose them dangerous pea shooters before any more innocent people die.

I used to be big into Airsoft. Whenever I took my airguns to the shop, or to the field, I always had them in the bed of my truck in a locked gun case. Always treated them like real guns. I would have hated to be the fool who got arrested for having a load of 'assault rifles' on the back seat of his vehicle.

Here's a few shots of some of my airsoft stuff, if anyone cares to see:

P226
M16A1/203 (before I removed the orange)

It'd be a real shame if they made any progress in restricting these more than they already are, or even banning them. It's a great sport, way more fun than paintball, and it was my gateway drug into real firearms.

I used to be big into Airsoft. Whenever I took my airguns to the shop, or to the field, I always had them in the bed of my truck in a locked gun case. Always treated them like real guns. I would have hated to be the fool who got arrested for having a load of 'assault rifles' on the back seat of his vehicle.

Here's a few shots of some of my airsoft stuff, if anyone cares to see:

P226
M16A1/203 (before I removed the orange)

It'd be a real shame if they made any progress in restricting these more than they already are, or even banning them. It's a great sport, way more fun than paintball, and it was my gateway drug into real firearms.

Nice stuff there! [smile]

Teens in hot car held after chase
BB gun waved at cyclists, stop signs run in flight
http://telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071130/NEWS/711300655

Friday, November 30, 2007
Teens in hot car held after chase

BB gun waved at cyclists, stop signs run in flight

By Scott J. Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

[email protected]

WORCESTER— A 13-year-old city boy allegedly drove a stolen car with a couple of his underage buddies inside and led police on a car chase that went through stop signs and the wrong way on a one-way street Wednesday night after waving a BB gun at a couple of bicycle riders.

Toward the end of the chase, the driver jumped out of the moving car, leaving it to continue along with his two friends still inside until it crashed into a fence near Kilby and Beacon streets.

All three teens were corralled by members of the gang unit who were following the car after the reported gun incident.

Police received a call around 9 p.m. Wednesday from a man who said a car full of teenagers waved what looked like a black and silver handgun at him while he and a friend rode their bicycles near Murray Avenue and Preston Street, police spokesman Sgt. Kerry F. Hazelhurst said.

Officers radioed a “be on the look-out” to other officers about the gold Mazda 626 with the youths inside.

Within minutes, gang unit members Neftali Batista, James Carmody, Thomas B. Duffy and Carmelo Oquendo spotted the car near Newbury Street.

The officers — all on patrol together in the same vehicle — saw the car driving fast on Congress Street, then turn onto Crown Street. At that point, the officers turned on the vehicle’s flashing lights and tried to stop the car, Sgt. Hazelhurst said.

But the car didn’t stop and continued along several city streets, blowing through several stop signs, the sergeant said. At one point, the driver took the car the wrong way on the one-way street, police said.

“We were lucky no one was hurt,” Sgt. Hazelhurst said.

Near Beacon and Kilby streets, the 13-year-old allegedly bailed out of the moving car. The car continued straight until it hit a fence.

Two other teenagers jumped out of the car and tried to run off, but all three teens were caught by the gang unit members. The teens are all from the city.

The officers saw what looked like a handgun in the back seat, but found it was a BB gun. The car had been reported stolen in the city earlier in the week.

All three teens — two 13-year-olds and one 16-year-old — were charged with receiving stolen property worth more than $250, malicious destruction of property over $250 and the new city ordinance that bans juvenile possession of BB guns.

The 13-year-old driver was also charged with multiple driving offenses. All three will appear in Juvenile Court on the charges.

Sgt. Hazelhurst said the bicyclist didn’t know the gun wasn’t real.

“The victim in this case felt the gun was real and was in fear,” he said. “With the nature of the call involving a gun, we had to treat this very seriously. This goes to show you the dangers of juveniles having BB guns.”

The situation could have been dangerous especially if one of the teens ran out of the car with the BB gun in hand, the sergeant added.

“If one of the youths ran out of the car with the BB gun, which looked real, the officers had no way of determining its authenticity,” Sgt. Hazelhurst said. “It could have been a potentially dangerous situation putting the youths and officers in danger.”
You'll love the comments section
http://telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071130/NEWS/711300655

I know a man who was riding his bike when a car full of punks pulled up at a light and shot him in the face with a BB gun. Not an airsoft, a metal BB. It almost took his eye out.

“If one of the youths ran out of the car with the BB gun, which looked real, the officers had no way of determining its authenticity,” Sgt. Hazelhurst said. “It could have been a potentially dangerous situation putting the youths and officers in danger.”

The only way this could have put the officers in danger is if some overzealous, bleeding-heart prosecutor took it into this pointy little head to CHARGE the cops with something after the cops blew away this idiot waving a BB gun at them.

Back
Top Bottom