Bank Of America: No Anti-Gun Policy

Acujeff

NES Member
Bank Of America Clarifies Position

Friday, May 28, 2010
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5854

Over the past few months, NRA-ILA received information from a few members detailing some problems that firearm-related businesses were having with Bank of America (BoA).

It appeared that BoA had adopted a policy of denying banking services to businesses associated with firearms. ILA staff contacted BoA corporate leadership and asked them to provide specific information regarding their policies.

In a conversation with Douglas K. Bland, a BoA Senior Vice President, NRA-ILA was assured that there was no such anti-gun policy.

Mr. Bland provided NRA-ILA with a written statement of their policy, which states "Bank of America does not have a corporate-wide policy to deny banking services solely on the applicant's involvement in the firearms industry."

NRA-ILA is pleased with this statement, but will continue to monitor business activities to ensure that gun owners and gun related business receive fair treatment. If you have had issues with Bank of America, please contact NRA-ILA so additional follow-up can be done. If needed, Mr. Bland has indicated his desire to assist with claims of unfair denial of services for firearms related reasons.

Bank Of America Clarifies Position

[STRIKE]Mr. Bland provided NRA-ILA with a written statement of their policy, which states "Bank of America does not have a corporate-wide policy to deny banking services solely on the applicant's involvement in the firearms industry."[/STRIKE]

Let me translate. "We have no corporate-wide policy to deny banking services solely on the applicant's involvement in the firearms industry. Therefore, we'll gin up some other reason to deny them banking services so we can avoid being called on it by the gun toting whack-os at the NRA."

Good to see that the NRA isn't falling for it.

Does anyone NOT have problems with BOA?

I don't do business with them, but a dip-shit branch manager printed my phone number on his business cards! [angry] I get ~200 calls/year for BOA and it's been going on for years.

I probably would have had a little fun with that for the first week or so. [wink] LOL

I threatened two managers during three FTF "discussions" about this. The first two times they denied that they caused the problem and that it was just idiots (their customers) mis-dialing. A short time ago I got one such call, but it was from someone I know and he told me that the business cards were mis-printed. He told the manager about this and so when I showed up there to rip him a new one, he was all apologetic and told me that he threw away all his cards and re-ordered with the right phone number.

Since I run a business on that line, I find it very annoying. Not to mention some interesting arguments I've had with BOA customers when I told them that they mis-dialed. One guy got so belligerent when he called back again that I finally hung up on him.

I get ~200 calls/year for BOA and it's been going on for years.
I used to get Rx faxes intended for a pharmacy. They stopped when I faxed one back to the MD's office with HIPPA VIOLATION written on the top and a note that any future violations would be reported directly to the patient.

I used to get Rx faxes intended for a pharmacy. They stopped when I faxed one back to the MD's office with HIPPA VIOLATION written on the top and a note that any future violations would be reported directly to the patient.

Rob, that's my Lahey Clinic story . . .

A search here should turn it up.

Every year or two I get Faxes (sent to my voice line) from them with narcotic Rx, full medical history of a patient, lab reports, etc. I have no idea who they are really trying to reach and they always play dumb if I'm lucky enough to reach anyone there. Faxes never have originating sender info (doctor phone, etc.) just generic Lahey Clinic info.

I finally did have someone call me back from there that understood that it really was a violation of HIPPA and a damn nuisance for me to pick up a voice call and get an earful of tone multiple times. But it still happens on rare occasion.

The BOA situation however is a chronic nuisance.

Rob, that's my Lahey Clinic story . . .

A search here should turn it up.

Every year or two I get Faxes (sent to my voice line) from them with narcotic Rx, full medical history of a patient, lab reports, etc. I have no idea who they are really trying to reach and they always play dumb if I'm lucky enough to reach anyone there. Faxes never have originating sender info (doctor phone, etc.) just generic Lahey Clinic info.

I finally did have someone call me back from there that understood that it really was a violation of HIPPA and a damn nuisance for me to pick up a voice call and get an earful of tone multiple times. But it still happens on rare occasion.

The BOA situation however is a chronic nuisance.

How do you get faxes on a voice line?

How do you get faxes on a voice line?

Since auto-dialing Faxes don't give up after one attempt, after the first time, I plug my Fax machine into that line to capture it . . . or else I have to live with the phone ringing every 3 minutes for x times, and a few hours later trying again, ad nauseum.

Since auto-dialing Faxes don't give up after one attempt, after the first time, I plug my Fax machine into that line to capture it . . . or else I have to live with the phone ringing every 3 minutes for x times, and a few hours later trying again, ad nauseum.

OK, I was confused. Yeah, faxes can be a pain in the ass.

and sometimes it is jsut me prank calling you [wink]

I don't do business with them, but a dip-shit branch manager printed my phone number on his business cards! I get ~200 calls/year for BOA and it's been going on for years.

This happened to someone with a hotel, but reportedly got straightened out once he started taking confirmed reservations.

I know a lot of folks have had bad experiences with BOA and are pissed off at them. They are a huge business and like many big businesses they may be seen as impersonal. I have been using them for years and still do so. I get very good and personalized service from my local branch. I've had two minor problems that were resolved very quickly by my branch manager. I've also found their support for their online banking is superb. As long as they continue in that manner, and have no anti-gun agenda, I'll continue to patronize them. That could change tomorrow, but for now I'm pleased with them. YMMV.

I used to work for Fleet then BofA for a short time. I still have my employee account with no fees. I will keep that as long as it is free. It is a huge convenience to have a branch or ATM almost anywhere I travel in the US.

At the various branches I go to, I've always had nothing but superb assistance from the people there, and they quickly reversed a fraudulent charge I found on my debit card and issued me a new one.

They're not great, but I have had no reason to switch.

I'm no fan of BoA, not even close. However, I've purchased plenty of guns and related items with my BoA credit card with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom