Ban private shooting in Yarmouth

Yarmouth residents, get out and vote May 2nd. While the people responsible for this say they are trying to ban shooting on private ranges, a letter sent out by Bass River Rod and Gun says this would ban shooting in the entire town. Here's the Facebook page by the people looking to ban target shooting. https://m.facebook.com/pages/Yarmou...ES-on-Article-43/1099020903457197?sk=timelineNotice the post on top where they admit there has been zero problems as a result of private shooting. Apparently the person behind this BS is a lawyer and disgruntled neighbor who moved near someone who has been shooting on this land since the 1960's.

If Yarmouth passes this, a credible argument can be made that it is a de-facto taking of the land, and compenstion demanded. This is one reason why towns don't often "down-zone" land and prohibit lawful activities in existing properties, and why zoning laws on things like frontage, square footage, etc. generally have grandfather clauses.

Another approach is to argue it is, in effect, ignoring the noise ordinance protection law.

But, it may be necessary for the entire plot of land to go 40B if they lose, and give the town the socioeconomic diversity liberals so crave.

If Yarmouth passes this, a credible argument can be made that it is a de-facto taking of the land, and compenstion demanded. This is one reason why towns don't often "down-zone" land and prohibit lawful activities in existing properties, and why zoning laws on things like frontage, square footage, etc. generally have grandfather clauses.

Another approach is to argue it is, in effect, ignoring the noise ordinance protection law.

But, it may be necessary for the entire plot of land to go 40B if they lose, and give the town the socioeconomic diversity liberals so crave.

That will set those as$holes on fire down there, perfect.

Years ago I used to go ATV riding out in the state forests in western mass. Slowly over the years all of the trails have been disappearing. In their place, people starting building McMansions in the woods, and they took over the ATV trails since they now passed on private property that had never been a problem for decades. Next up was using "environmental laws" to keep trail riders off of the trail, even public trails, because the ATV's had come too close to their homes. So some of the best offroad trails were closed with the swipe of a pen.

This is just another example of the NIMBY mindset. People who don't want to be inconvenienced by anything. In other words, it's okay for them just not for anyone else. One day soon the only thing that will be left in Massachusetts is being able to stand still in your own home and eventually some neighbor will complain about that too.

The only way to prevent this kind of activity is to fight guys. Never give an inch. I hope the residents of Yarmouth have common sence.

Land is already under an agricultural exemption so it cannot be built on. Housing would sink into the cranberry bog
I assume you are referring to Chapter 61A. It can be built on, but the town must be offered the right of first refusal in any sale; the retroactive tax discount paid; and if it's been chapter land for less than 10 years, a conveyance tax paid.

That being said, the retroactive tax burden may be so onerous as to make this impractical.

On the Bass River rod and gun notice, it said they will stand with motorcycle riders because of that proposed ban as well. It's good to see people standing up for freedom in general and not just when it directly concerns them. I feel like Yarmouth is one step away from becoming the town in Footloose if people don't speak up.

Banning shooting at Bass River is like telling a homeowner "We changed zoning and require 150ft of frontage. Your lot as 140ft, so you have to tear you house down."

I assume you are referring to Chapter 61A. It can be built on, but the town must be offered the right of first refusal in any sale; the retroactive tax discount paid; and if it's been chapter land for less than 10 years, a conveyance tax paid.

That being said, the retroactive tax burden may be so onerous as to make this impractical.

Are you familiar with the land in question? Your speculation is a moot point. It is not build-able land.

As for the Bass River argument, they dropped their drawers and succumbed to neighbors a couple times already so their position is getting weaker. I hope as a club, they have developed some testicular fortitude which was not prevalent when I was a member.

The petitioner is an attorney who is new to that area, I believe tax records show about 6yrs. The unfortunate part of this whole thing is people continue to move to areas from cities. These people (Washashores) (and I am one having moved to CC 36yrs ago) bring their attitudes and beliefs and impose them on those that have lived in an area for a long time. In the case of Cape Cod, they are trying to build Braintree with a beach.

Are you familiar with the land in question? Your speculation is a moot point. It is not build-able land.
I have been there, but I lack expertise as to what is buildable.

As for the Bass River argument, they dropped their drawers and succumbed to neighbors a couple times already so their position is getting weaker. I hope as a club, they have developed some testicular fortitude which was not prevalent when I was a member.
Didn't some guy name Chaberlain try that whole appeasement thing back in the 30s?

I used to own a home near Grays Beach. I knew there was a range nearby as you could hear the shots across the marsh. It didn't bother me. A guy I knew built a McMansion next to a lot where some folks had built a RC car racetrack. Every weekend he heard these little chainsaw engines racing around 100 feet from his deck. He didn't realize because when he bought from the builder, there was two feet of snow out there. He later sold the house. If you're buying real estate, do your homework. Caveat emptor.

Back
Top Bottom