• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ban on marijuana users owning guns is unconstitutional, U.S. judge rules

I never smoked or used MJ.

Nothing against it but I just don't need it.

However, I want to go inside a pot store.

My licensing officer said I can go in with my ID but it's illegal for me to buy any cannabis. I told him I just want to look and possibly inquire about employment.

I chose to ask rather than get outed by somebody who could see me going to the pot shop.

Prior to this ruling, who knows who could happen to the data stored about your ID which is kept when you enter a store.

Finally I can go to the pot store without a worry.

This is a great ruling for the 2A and is one less avenue to restrict gun rights.

U.S. v. Dugan (2011)
we see the same amount of danger in allowing habitual drug users to traffic in firearms as we see in allowing felons and mentally ill people to do so. Habitual drug users, like career criminals and the mentally ill, more likely will have difficulty exercising self-control, particularly when they are under the influence of controlled substances. Moreover, unlike people who have been convicted of a felony or committed to a mental institution and so face a lifetime ban, an unlawful drug user may regain his right to possess a firearm simply by ending his drug abuse.

I guess the only solution is to update 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3) to specify both controlled substances and alcohol use. Alcohol remains king of drugs in the area of "difficulty exercising self-control"

My licensing officer said I can go in with my ID but it's illegal for me to buy any cannabis.

Next time you talk to him, ask him to cite the law you are breaking by buying weed.

Cops are not the best people to get legal advice from, actually they should be the last person you should ask.

You are now on his list.

Next time you talk to him, ask him to cite the law you are breaking by buying weed.

Cops are not the best people to get legal advice from, actually they should be the last person you should ask.

You are now on his list.
"Suitability".

Everybody in town knows who I am.

If somebody saw me coming out of a pot shot - people would talk.

Despite what people say about the police, my town is not a bunch or jerks.

My licensing officer said I can go in with my ID but it's illegal for me to buy any cannabis. I told him I just want to look and possibly inquire about employment.

I chose to ask rather than get outed by somebody who could see me going to the pot shop.

Prior to this ruling, who knows who could happen to the data stored about your ID which is kept when you enter a store.

This is a great ruling for the 2A and is one less avenue to restrict gun rights.
So you were paranoid before you went in.
[rofl]
I just had to. No offense.

In Texas it is a crime to carry intoxicated. Is Texas a shithole state?
In Florida it is a crime to carry intoxicated. Is Florida a shithole state?

Do you grasp the difference between BANNING something like pot vs simply saying you can't do something like carry WHILE HIGH?

One is not only stupid but on the federal level, unconstitutional. The other could be debated.

For instance, the law ALLOWS you to drink alcohol, then get in a car and drive. Just how much you drink is the issue.

"Suitability".

"suitability" law?

If he is outright telling you he will deny you based on suitability based on 2nd hand info from townfolks, knowing damn well it won't hold up to a judge, your towns cops are indeed...jerks.

Sorry man :(

"Suitability".

What is a "pot shot" in this context? Another word for dispensary or bar? [laugh]

ETA, oh. Pot SHOP

Never mind. Carry on.

I think your LO was wrong. That question asks if you ARE a user, not if you've ever bought weed. Could be for your life partner, could be to have as a souvineer / novelty, whyever.

What other Constitutional Rights are lost by violation(s) of Law(s)

The right to vote is lost upon conviction of a felony. Some states, I understand, are relaxing that view.

However, that's upon CONVICTION. Sammy wants the simple use of weed to remove your rights.

Sammy is a marroon.

And I need to lay off the CAPSLOCK [laugh]

Last edited:
This thread:

train-cliff.gif

Senate and Congress need to decriminalize it and turn it in to a states rights issue. Unless they’re going to create an Amendment to do it.

I’m surprised they haven’t done it so they can tax it..

Aren’t they saying they are gonna take all the nicotine out of cigarettes by a certain year?

Last edited:
Letting people on drugs use gund. what can go wrong?

you just quoted the NIH, so now imma tell you to gfy

So why is weed still illegal? If TSA catches you with it at the airport, they call local cops, who might not do anything based on state law. They don’t call feds, who are the only ones who care that it’s illegal.
If we’re not going to follow the laws, then just repeal them.

I personally don’t care either way. Either hammer the druggies or legalize the garbage.

if the tsa finds weed on domestic flights they usually let you keep it

As in "would you let a serial rapist into women's changing room". same vein.

You just gave an argument that proves my point: it is against the law to carry while intoxicated. Nobody is trying to overturn those laws now do they? Mkay?
7a4apy.jpg

Are you under the impression that being high is different from being intoxicated?

And as already pointed out, there's no federal law regarding carrying while intoxicated. Your state laws may vary.

We could maybe focus on punishing people that actually commit crimes, rather than making a criminal out of the jackass that takes a toke with a gun in his hip. Which by the way I agree it's a stupid combo (high and carrying). But I don't see making it illegal.

What crime wave would it solve?

Speaking from experience of being a younger man, alcohol made me think I can do things I have no business doing. Like driving home at 17 years old from the Waterfront in Holyoke. First bar, and it was St patty's day. Or traversing an I-beam over a 40 foot drop across 30+ feet. While juggling a tackle box and pole.

While high? I wanted cheetos, I wanted pizza, and I wanted to count every piece of popcorn on the ceiling. While also talking about the meaning of life while also watching a movie. I can't speak to everyone else's experience while using marijuana, but mine is pretty mundane. It just made me sedentary.

Alcohol makes you think you can do things you can't. That you should do things you absolutely shouldn't. That you are better at things than you really are.
Marijuana just makes you imagine all the things you would do if you could just get off this couch.

if the tsa finds weed on domestic flights they usually let you keep it

Either that or they have an amnesty rule. Some airports even have an amnesty trash bin just for weed, where one could pull out weed and a bong right in front of TSA and put it in there if they don't want to fly with it for whatever reason.

Speaking from experience of being a younger man, alcohol made me think I can do things I have no business doing. Like driving home at 17 years old from the Waterfront in Holyoke. First bar, and it was St patty's day. Or traversing an I-beam over a 40 foot drop across 30+ feet. While juggling a tackle box and pole.

While high? I wanted cheetos, I wanted pizza, and I wanted to count every piece of popcorn on the ceiling. While also talking about the meaning of life while also watching a movie. I can't speak to everyone else's experience while using marijuana, but mine is pretty mundane. It just made me sedentary.

Alcohol makes you think you can do things you can't. That you should do things you absolutely shouldn't. That you are better at things than you really are.
Marijuana just makes you imagine all the things you would do if you could just get off this couch.
As kids we wanted 25 pound Twinkies. I’ve done some really stupid shit drinking. Refer just mellows you out and no matter how much you smoke and you will have no hangovers.

It’s hardly a stepping stone drug. There’s plenty of RX’s that can get you addicted and that’s OK.

Either that or they have an amnesty rule. Some airports even have an amnesty trash bin just for weed, where one could pull out weed and a bong right in front of TSA and put it in there if they don't want to fly with it for whatever reason.

It's my understanding that this policy was implemented based on an anonymous suggestion from the janitorial staff.

As kids we wanted 25 pound Twinkies. I’ve done some really stupid shit drinking. Refer just mellows you out and no matter how much you smoke and you will have no hangovers.

It’s hardly a stepping stone drug. There’s plenty of RX’s that can get you addicted and that’s OK.

the real gateway drug is adderall, they get 4% of the population addicted to amphetamine for life because it's too inconvenient for public school teachers to handle them

Late to the party, but I'm betting even on a per-user basis (and there are a CRAP TON more casual users of alcohol - myself included - a whole 8 or 9 drinks a YEAR), there are more issues with alcohol than MJ.

Around New Years (maybe NYE) my daughter, wife and SIL went to one near us. Daughter was given some gummies for her migraines. They didn't help, but she wanted a fun night and knew that drinking was going to CAUSE migraines. Everyone went with her to check it out.

Basically, it's like a gun shop with some guy high as balls checking you in before you're buzzed into the store. Then 3-5 mildly high individuals descend on you to find out what you need and explain the options. It had the APPEARANCE of high security (no pun intended) but you could bust teh place and clean it out with one guy who was good at pistol-whipping. LOL. Even the buzz-in door wasn't that secure.

It seemed to them as pretty anti-climactic in general. Daughter got what they reco'd - which was a different strain of the same stuff she had before. She took one. Nothing. Two. Nothing. Three the next day - nothing. Just nasty-ass weed-tasting gummies.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQIHzPUl59A

Back
Top Bottom