• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ban on marijuana users owning guns is unconstitutional, U.S. judge rules

Yosemite Sam

NES Member
FEBRUARY 04, 2023 / 04:35 PM

smoke ‘em if you got ’em. [popcorn]

domino GIF

Letting people on drugs use gund. what can go wrong?

No laws against alcoholics buying guns? Incidents of drunk people crashing cars and NDs vs stoned?

The argument “but weed is bad” is the same argument anti-gunners use “guns are bad mkay”.
You just gave an argument that proves my point: it is against the law to carry while intoxicated. Nobody is trying to overturn those laws now do they? Mkay?

You just gave an argument that proves my point: it is against the law to carry while intoxicated. Nobody is trying to overturn those laws now do they? Mkay?

Federal law says you can’t carry intoxicated? Pretty sure that’s various state laws. If that’s the issue, extend that to stoned too. OUI covers both and prescription drugs.

This is about buying guns, not carrying them. I don’t handle guns when drinking, but because I visited a liquor store means I can’t own a gun? These are very different concerns.

Are you under the impression that being high is different from being intoxicated?

And as already pointed out, there's no federal law regarding carrying while intoxicated. Your state laws may vary.

We could maybe focus on punishing people that actually commit crimes, rather than making a criminal out of the jackass that takes a toke with a gun in his hip. Which by the way I agree it's a stupid combo (high and carrying). But I don't see making it illegal.

What crime wave would it solve?

FEBRUARY 04, 2023 / 04:35 PM

smoke ‘em if you got ’em. [popcorn]
Before you know it possession of crack and a gun will be fine.

Oh wait.

1448107B-5790-42D3-B9AC-BC576967AA17.jpeg

I was just about to type the same thing. Rights aren’t taken away if you’re under the influence of substances. If you’re drunk you still have the use of all other rights, if you’re high on heroin you can still vote and the government still needs a warrant to enter your house without permission. If you smoke meth the government can’t place troops in your house during peace time.

So why is weed still illegal? If TSA catches you with it at the airport, they call local cops, who might not do anything based on state law. They don’t call feds, who are the only ones who care that it’s illegal.
If we’re not going to follow the laws, then just repeal them.

I personally don’t care either way. Either hammer the druggies or legalize the garbage.

it is against the law to carry while intoxicated.
It is absolutely not against federal law to carry while intoxicated, and that is exactly what we are talking about here because this is a federal judge and federal decision. It may be illegal in your shit hole state, but your shit hole state is a horrible example of what should or should not be legal.

So why is weed still illegal? If TSA catches you with it at the airport, they call local cops, who might not do anything based on state law. They don’t call feds, who are the only ones who care that it’s illegal.
If we’re not going to follow the laws, then just repeal them.

I personally don’t care either way. Either hammer the druggies or legalize the garbage.
Senate and Congress need to decriminalize it and turn it in to a states rights issue. Unless they’re going to create an Amendment to do it.

Why are you the way that you are?

It may be illegal in your shit hole state, but your shit hole state is a horrible example of what should or should not be legal.
In Texas it is a crime to carry intoxicated. Is Texas a shithole state?
In Florida it is a crime to carry intoxicated. Is Florida a shithole state?

Anyone familiar with state gun law can tell you that Texas has not ever been one of the more gun friendly states. And Florida is finally catching on to what almost half the country has done to expand gun rights. I do consider those two to be shit hole states for a number of reasons. But the fact is we are talking about federal law here. And we are talking about your state being a terrible example of representing just firearms law which is where you got your knee jerk reaction from to claim that carrying while intoxicated is illegal in response to a federal case that has nothing to do with your state.

Federal law says you can’t carry intoxicated? Pretty sure that’s various state laws. If that’s the issue, extend that to stoned too. OUI covers both and prescription drugs.

This is about buying guns, not carrying them. I don’t handle guns when drinking, but because I visited a liquor store means I can’t own a gun? These are very different concerns.
So now when you buy a gun, do you also get a tie dyed t shirt and a hacky sack?? Like wow, man.

Letting people post who cannot spell. 🤣🤣

It’s called people exercising their rights. So someone wants to drink every so often or enjoy some legal drugs like marijuana, what’s the big deal. The entire denial of your right because of this was always just dumb and politically motivated

I’m fairly certain in most places it’s illegal to be carrying when your shitfaced. Even if it’s not it’s just a stupid move anyway

Back
Top Bottom