Ballot question 2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody read the article and understand it? They did this in Maine. Seems to me a way to cancel out leading candidates.
my sister lives in Maine. I asked her and my niece how it works. got a “hell if I know”.

it looks like there is no opposition position on this. Another democratic monopoly.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is Question 1 as far as I can tell.

1. Law to Implement Ranked-Choice Voting in Elections – 111,268 signatures

Also known as instant runoff voting, the system gives voters the option of ranking candidates on their ballot in order of preference, as opposed to selecting just one. And if no candidate gets more than 50 percent of first-choice votes, the candidate with the least first-choice votes is eliminated, and the voters who preferred that candidate have their votes reallocated based on their second choices. Then the ballots are recounted and the process is repeated until one candidate breaks the 50 percent threshold.

Ranked choice voting supporters say the system ensures that candidates are elected by a majority of voters, eliminates “strategic voting,” and results in less negative campaigns. Opponents argue it could create situations in which a candidate with a “faux majority” is declared the winner.

In general, I vote against change in anything. Sometime voting NO is actually for a change so you have to read them all closely.

67ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
199   0   0
It will help Democrats in this State of course that is why they are doing it. Effectively it will allow everyone who qualifies to appear on the ballot instead of just one person from each party. So you could be looking at a ballot with 6 Dem candidates and 2 Rep and you could vote for your top three choices 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The idea is to prevent the Scott Brown style victories by loading up the ballot with all kinds of names in our state would be mostly Dems. And voters who don't know will choose 3 candidates from their party.

It happened in Maine when two progressives split the vote and the Rep won. "Don't like the outcome, then change the rules."

Here is the link and it is happening this November - a big reason to get to the polls:

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That is Question 1 as far as I can tell.

1. Law to Implement Ranked-Choice Voting in Elections – 111,268 signatures

Also known as instant runoff voting, the system gives voters the option of ranking candidates on their ballot in order of preference, as opposed to selecting just one. And if no candidate gets more than 50 percent of first-choice votes, the candidate with the least first-choice votes is eliminated, and the voters who preferred that candidate have their votes reallocated based on their second choices. Then the ballots are recounted and the process is repeated until one candidate breaks the 50 percent threshold.

Ranked choice voting supporters say the system ensures that candidates are elected by a majority of voters, eliminates “strategic voting,” and results in less negative campaigns. Opponents argue it could create situations in which a candidate with a “faux majority” is declared the winner.

In general, I vote against change in anything. Sometime voting NO is actually for a change so you have to read them all closely.
Sounds too complicated for States to implement this.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Dive into who supports this RCV scheme. Follow the $$$$$. They asked for lincs to who would be opposed to this and I gave mine with the reasons of liberal domination in our state.

Atlantis

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Actually my understanding is that this is a potentially way to backdoor the 2 party system. I.e. you can vote for a 3rd party candidate and then your 2nd choice would be republican etc. I don’t understand all the hate for rank choice voting.

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
In some states it's a way for a third party candidate to break through.

Tons of people say "I don't like candidate x, but he's the lesser of two evils." Now, you can vote for your third party candidate as your # 1 choice and if he/she doesn't get enough, your second choice can be your two-party candidate.

EC1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree 100% with Len, another way to cheat, make the voting system so convoluted and then some unelected drone can pick the winner.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The purpose of ranked choice in MA is to not allow a R to win if (s)he is running against a democrat, a green party, an antifa party and a communist who will split the redistributionist vote.
I don’t understand all the hate for rank choice voting.
It's a better system for getting the will of the majority, but since the majority in MA is D, our side benefits from not having an improvement that will further entrench that power. It avoids "vote splitting" changing the winner (the Ross Perot or spoiler effect), but also allows the voter to make choices without having to guess "who is my choice who actually has a shot at winning".

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Maine got a Democrat with less votes than the GOP that way - VOTE NO.
This is an analysis based on what party it helps, not which system is better. In reality, the former dominates the decision while everyone pretends they are motivated by the later.

BaldAssCat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My daughter was trying to sell this to me but she left out the multiple candidates per party bit. Not that I thought much of it to start but that's way over line and just multiplies the split vote issue they claim to be solving. Incumbents would never lose.

mlaboss

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
We’ve had elections since the dawn of time - high vote wins.....what’s wrong with that?
First past the post voting guarantees the eventual dominance of two parties. It's a mathematical inevitability.

If you want more than two viable parties to ever be possible, there needs to be a system to allow people to vote for third parties without "throwing their vote away". RCV is one of those systems, there are others (STV, preferential voting, etc) but the main goal is the same.

It allows voters to do things like vote for their preferred third party candidate as their first choice, and the "safe" candidate as their second. That way if the third party candidate can't get enough votes, their vote falls back to the "safe" candidate. Give people that option, and I guarantee more alternative candidates will be able to get votes.

View: https://youtu.be/s7tWHJfhiyo

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I can see both sides, and I'm keenly interested in ending the stranglehold of the two parties.

But I'm also a realist who knows how lazy and ignorant so many voters are. I'd expect the first three names that happen to be on the ballot to be disproportionately ranked 1, 2, 3. You could fix this by randomizing the order of the names on each ballot so as so cancel out that effect, but then that would probably make too much sense. So no can do.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You could fix this by randomizing the order of the names on each ballot so as so cancel out that effect, but then that would probably make too much sense. So no can do.
This would be the GOAL/NRA approach, though they only use several ballots, not a N! assortment.

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So they're asking voters to implement this new convolution, but also argue many of those same voters don't have the brains or resources to get an ID?

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So they're asking voters to implement this new convolution, but also argue many of those same voters don't have the brains or resources to get an ID?
Easy for the FSA.

Put 1 by the person promising you the most free stuff
Put 2 by the person promising you the most free stuff other than person 1
etc...

Top Bottom