• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ballistol

It really is a wonder CLP. Darkens stocks a bit though. In a pinch, I used it to touch up and polish some leather shoes last minute with it as well. If you have horses or want to brush and treat your pet hair, it's safe to use as well. Hate that anise smell though.

Because the product literally says it is a wood treatment right on the label.

You should quote the whole sentence, not just the part that frames the question in a way that supports your comment :)

I tend to use products that are like, ya know, manufactured specifically for a certain application.

But, UdoU :)

Ballistol is good to go for wood, but not preferable. IIRC it was used by imperial Germany for metal and wood. Boiled linseed oil or similar will be better and eventually produce a durable low gloss finish.

That being said I usually wipe the wood with a little bit of ballistol or CLP when I clean them.

We use it at work to coat brushed stainless steel surfaces to keep from scratching when we are building. It makes me cough for some reason. I like the properties though. Will it clean the breach face? Eezox is the only thing I’ve found that works.

I use Ballistol like the father on My Big Fat Greek Wedding uses windex, but also dislike the smell.
I started using it about a year ago after being a life long hoppes fan for hunting irons and clp fan for milsurps and my carry gun.

Ballistol is way better than hoppes and so easy to use. But I think the stuff is bi polar as far as the smell. Sometimes the first spray is like straight up sweaty socks and i want to gag. Other times it's like anise or rootbeer and I like the smell. It's f***ing wierd.

I started using it about a year ago after being a life long hoppes fan for hunting irons and clp fan for milsurps and my carry gun.

Ballistol is way better than hoppes and so easy to use. But I think the stuff is bi polar as far as the smell. Sometimes the first spray is like straight up sweaty socks and i want to gag. Other times it's like anise or rootbeer and I like the smell. It's f***ing wierd.
Because it is actually made from organic buffalo farts.

I use ballistol for everything. While I wouldn't use it to "treat" wood, I do wipe down a firearms exterior with it before putting it away. When I read "treat wood", I'm thinking of refinishing the wood, like staining, or a glossy finish coat. In that case, no, I would use a product specifically for that purpose. Ballistol will not harm a firearms finish, but if you applied it to raw, unfinished wood, I think it would darken it up a bit. Its my favorite leather conditioner as well.

This. I like Ballistol on the wood of the Remlins that I own as they don't have a lot of finish or something. So it keeps them pretty nice. And it cleans pretty well. I like that its a good muzzleloader solvent as well. Which reminds me I need to buy some more.

Its taken my breath away a few times but overall the smell is bearable and better than Hoppes.

I use ballistol for everything. While I wouldn't use it to "treat" wood, I do wipe down a firearms exterior with it before putting it away. When I read "treat wood", I'm thinking of refinishing the wood, like staining, or a glossy finish coat. In that case, no, I would use a product specifically for that purpose. Ballistol will not harm a firearms finish, but if you applied it to raw, unfinished wood, I think it would darken it up a bit. Its my favorite leather conditioner as well.
Yes, I'd never use it to refinish wood.....its just an oil that would never really dry.

I use the Birchwood Casey Tru Oil for refinishing gun stocks. It works really well.

It is the safest stuff to use on old milsurps and collectables and despite the warning labels it supposedly is non-toxic.

That's why I started using it...to clean and oil my milsurps. I didn't want to worry about damaging the stock while I'm cleaning up a milsurp so I tried Ballistol. I liked it so much that now I use it on everything, even as a basic CLP for my modern guns.

Back
Top Bottom