Balisong

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
I always had a thing for these when I was younger, picked up a couple of “cheep” ones and they literally fell apart while flipping them open.
Anyone else into these things, and any suggestions for a slightly better quality one without breaking the bank?

i've been known to play around with them. buy right the first time, get a benchmade balisong. i have a couple of cheap ones i keep to try new tricks out with but you're right, they suck, handles are usually made of some kind of pot metal that crack when they hit the floor a few times and the lock to keep it closed always breaks off. i just ordered a trainer bali recently but a decent one isn't cheap either. if you're serious about learning how to do various "tricks" get the trainer before you commit to a $300 butterfly knife. if you want cheaper you can find butterflys in the 50-75 dollar range but they aren't much better than the crap you find for $20-30 at the gun shows.

Ever try pawn shops? Once snagged a solid brass Manila Folder for $20. Banged up my knuckles like a bar brawl, but it was fun.

Manila Folder.jpg

Balisong Knife | Traditional Filipino Weapons

I've done business with Ron. He's a true martial artist, great guy, and sources some of the finest Filipino weapons you get your hands on. I've been using his sticks for over a decade and they are the only ones that last.

I haven't bought a blade from him yet but have my eye on the kambantuli. It's been on my wish list for a while now. Kambantuli | Traditional Filipino Weapons

He also runs an FMA training camp in NH in the summers, if thats your thing.

B.png K.png

I had one I bought in Italy years ago. I played with it so much it became my nervous twitch. After 10 or 15 years, the steel blade wore through the brass handle. Not the most practical knife, but it sure had flair. lol

Another vote for Benchmade. I have a stainless one that has lasted for years. Was one of their cheaper models relative to what Benchmade charges. Used to use it as a utility knife and could have the job done in lightspeed, LOL.

Another vote for Benchmade. I have a stainless one that has lasted for years. Was one of their cheaper models relative to what Benchmade charges. Used to use it as a utility knife and could have the job done in lightspeed, LOL.

Yup mine is probably the same one. I carried it for many years until I learned an assisted opener on a belt clip is way quicker than the Balisong in the back pocket.