• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Baitcaster or spinning gear??

what are you using???
i have always used spinning gear but just recently purchased an Abu Garcia baitcaster combo. Tough getting used to it but im starting to get the hang of it.

any tips for a baitcaster newbie??

Ive got a few of each. I bring them all, and they all get used.
Each set up has its purpose.

Here's my tip: practice with it, they'er easier than you think.

Last edited:
I use both but prefer bait casting. Once its set up right and you learn your thumb they're fantastic.....until then well just have patience. Google how to set them up right. As previously stated start with something on the heavy side....1/2 oz spinnerbait is a good place to start. If you're near western mass or willing to come out mg way I'll help you with it.

As mentioned by others, use heavier baits with the bait caster. You can set up the brakes tight (assuming you have the mech. and magnetic) so they're foolproof. Loosen them little by little as you get used to it and study the effects of each individually. The mechanical brake has the most influence. The magnetic brake will control the spool from spinning faster than the lure takes out line after the release -I'd guess that this is where most backlash comes from. Once you get the mech. brake set up, you'll use the magnetic brake for most day-to-day adjustments.

Also, I think the rod plays a much larger role with casting a bait cast reel then spinning rods do with spinning reels.

Line? - go heavier with the baitcaster - like 14-16lb mono/flouro. Don't go with braid yet and when you do, stay away from Spiderwire.

As mentioned by others, use heavier baits with the bait caster. You can set up the brakes tight (assuming you have the mech. and magnetic) so they're foolproof. Loosen them little by little as you get used to it and study the effects of each individually. The mechanical brake has the most influence. The magnetic brake will control the spool from spinning faster than the lure takes out line after the release -I'd guess that this is where most backlash comes from. Once you get the mech. brake set up, you'll use the magnetic brake for most day-to-day adjustments.

Also, I think the rod plays a much larger role with casting a bait cast reel then spinning rods do with spinning reels.

Line? - go heavier with the baitcaster - like 14-16lb mono/flouro. Don't go with braid yet and when you do, stay away from Spiderwire.

The heavy line is a great suggestion. I personally think setting the brakes too tight will result in more backlashes as he will be trying to compensate the lack of distance by overthrowing it.

Thanks for the tips guys... I did read the manufacturer suggestions and spooled the reel wit 14lb fluorocarbon. Also been practicing with a 3/8 oz buzz bait throwing it pretty well

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the tips guys... I did read the manufacturer suggestions and spooled the reel wit 14lb fluorocarbon. Also been practicing with a 3/8 oz buzz bait throwing it pretty well

Just learn to thumb it as it hits the water and use your wrist rather than your elbow and you should be good to go. Glad its working out well for you.

This depends on where and what you are fishing for. I use a Quantum Cabo for stripers off the boat with a 6.5 foot St. Croix rod. I spool it with braid and a 3 foot fluorocarbon leader. THe braid comes off the reel much easier than mono and it doesn't have memory to resist. THe result is I don't have to get as close to a busting school and that reduces the chances of spooking them off. One thing about St. Croix, they are great rods to cast with but I have seen two snap with a good fish on the line. Going to try G-Loomis next time.

This depends on where and what you are fishing for. I use a Quantum Cabo for stripers off the boat with a 6.5 foot St. Croix rod. I spool it with braid and a 3 foot fluorocarbon leader. THe braid comes off the reel much easier than mono and it doesn't have memory to resist. THe result is I don't have to get as close to a busting school and that reduces the chances of spooking them off. One thing about St. Croix, they are great rods to cast with but I have seen two snap with a good fish on the line. Going to try G-Loomis next time.
I'm a big fan of St Croix rods. Any high end sensitive graphite rod can snap its the nature of the beast. I've seen all of the big brands fail like that. All it takes is a little nick in the finish.

Once you go baitcasting its hard to go back...I cringe every spring when its time for me to break out the spinning gear and 6 pound test..Cant wait for the water to warm up past 60 for I can put them back in the closet with the hair jigs

Best tip I ever received was to tie on the lure you will be using..Hold the rod out strait and hit the release..The lure should drop at a controlled speed without over spinning..The longer you use it the more you will be able to loosen it up..I run no brakes on almost all of my Curado's

Once you go baitcasting its hard to go back...I cringe every spring when its time for me to break out the spinning gear and 6 pound test..Cant wait for the water to warm up past 60 for I can put them back in the closet with the hair jigs

Best tip I ever received was to tie on the lure you will be using..Hold the rod out strait and hit the release..The lure should drop at a controlled speed without over spinning..The longer you use it the more you will be able to loosen it up..I run no brakes on almost all of my Curado's
That's how I check em as well. I like the tension loose with two brakes engaged the rest removed(taken out not just off) o. My curados.

- - - Updated - - -

That's how I check em as well. I like the tension loose with two brakes engaged the rest removed(taken out not just off) o. My curados.

I got really good at casting a bait caster sidearm but always had issues when casting overhead.

Just recently learned what I was doing wrong: I was holding the reel the wrong way while casting overhead. You should turn the reel so the top of the spool is facing in (towards your body). that way, as your arm swings through the arc of the cast, your thumb can maintain constant pressure on the spool, like this:

Reel+position.jpg

If you have the spool facing up, your thumb pressure will change throughout the casting arc, resulting in bad casts, or birds nests.

I'll never go back to spinning setups for most fishing situations unless I have to. Bait casters give you so much more control over lure placement than a spinning setup. Nothing like being able to fire a jig under a mangled mess of overhanging branches and have it hit the water like a gently falling leaf.

Last edited:
Tournament fisherman here. I use both but it depends on the specific technique which one is in my hand at any given time.

When i first started with the baitcaster I spooled it up with high # test mono. Its cheap and the larger diameter helps pick out bird nests. I tied a weight on and practiced in the yard. Once I got it down I threw some floro on and started fishing.
Much cheaper to mess up using cheap mono.

Thanks for all the input guys. Caught my first few bass last night on the baitcaster, one being a nice 2-3 lb fish... Will post some pictures later

I like the spinning gear for open water and bait casters with braided line for fishing in the weeds. Once you set the hook even in the weeds I just smile and say your ass is mine now.

+1,

if as a new bait cater, u can get past the frustration of birds nests when you mess up the cast, it will work out to be a great tool for the weeds.

Spin Gear , baitcasters are for pussy's.

I only know two tournament fishermen who use exclusively spinning gear. They are both ghey (not that there's anything wrong with that). Spinning gear is for light, finesse presentations, and is also better for skipping under docks. Anyone who uses it for other applications is merely unwilling to admit that they can't work a baitcaster because thay won't put in the time to learn. Trust me, the dreaded spinning twisty loops are far harder to deal with than the occasional professional overrun.

Bait casters are great. Once adjusted you can pretty much do anything a spinning real can do. Spend the money and get a really good one once you learn to cast it. abu even in a experienced hand have a tendency to back lash (i own 2). Try a burner or a fuego and youll wont be dissapointed.

I love hucking crankbaits with baitcasters. Seems to get more distance and more control.

Still have trouble with lighter baits so I keep a spinner in the canoe too. I'd rather keep fishing then work thru a nest. Ha!

I only know two tournament fishermen who use exclusively spinning gear. They are both ghey (not that there's anything wrong with that). Spinning gear is for light, finesse presentations, and is also better for skipping under docks. Anyone who uses it for other applications is merely unwilling to admit that they can't work a baitcaster because thay won't put in the time to learn. Trust me, the dreaded spinning twisty loops are far harder to deal with than the occasional professional overrun.

yea i still cant get the hang of a baitcaster

but id rather use the spinner, never had a problem with the loops

If you can learn to skip a jig 10-12 feet up under docks with a baitcaster you will catch fish that other guys can never get a bait in front of.

Back
Top Bottom