• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bail Enforcement Agents

Dude. Real bounty hunters just need handcuffs and pepper spray.

dog-bounty-hunter-hawaii-0319-09.jpg

Bail agents are almost non-existent in MA because the courts set the bail at an amount that is generally affordable rather than 10x that amount with the intent of fining the suspect by making him/her pay a non-refundable fee to an agent. What would get a $500 bail in MA would probably be something like $5000 in a bail bondsmen friendly state.

In a bail state the defendant would pay a bondsman $500 to guarantee the $5000. In MA, the defendant would pay $540 and get $500 back, with the $40 going to the bail magistrate. I think defense counsel has an automatic lien on the bail, and it cannot go to the defendant unless the attorney confirm (s)he has been paid.

Of course, both kinds of states have the bails that are set with the specific intention of being bail in name only, with no change the defendant can make it.

Last edited:
Lol I didn't think they existed at all.

In any event, theres much easier ways to detour around all the bullshit than relying on some LE exemption which gets you almost nothing over a peon.

I think defense counsel has an automatic lien on the bail, and it cannot go to the defendant unless the attorney confirm (s)he has been paid.

There is no lien for defense counsel. If the court appoints an attorney and assesses a bar advocate fee (usually $150), the bail will not be returned to the surety until the bar advocate fee has been paid.

If the court appoints an attorney and assesses a bar advocate fee (usually $150), the bail will not be returned to the surety until the bar advocate fee has been paid.
Thanks. The MA .gov website on bail said it would not be returned until legal fees were paid, but did not provide this very relevant detail. It figures the lien would only apply to govt funded counsel and not to private.

Back
Top Bottom