• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Baffled: AR barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchasing a new barrel for the upcoming build on the zombie annihilator lower, and up to this date anything but 1:7 didn't even register on my radar. After thinking a bit, and then researching a bit....other than accuracy, why the hell would I use 1:7? The bullet is TOO stabilized, and terminal ballistics are effected seriously. Wouldn't I want a 1:9? The military uses 1:7, but they are also only shooting 77gr green tip and match quality ammo...and at 77 gr the 1:7 works....but for us mere mortals that are using 55gr for the range, or just to grab if needed....wouldn't the 1:7 prove....useless? In a defense standpoint. Sure for plinking or bench shooting it would make it a tack driver, but if you actually had to USE the rifle for more than paper punching, it would essentially be a stupid-fast 22lr with no yaw in the bullet, thus making it essentially an "in and out" hole. If I wanted a tack driver, I'd build one, but with the zombie annihilator, I want it to be a zombie annihilator....capable of extensive damage. I know I won't gain much velocity...but an 18" with a 1:9 will have MUCH better ballistics than a 16" with 1:7 correct? Someone help me out here, I'm lost in a sea of ballistic reports and articles and nobody with first hand experience.

So the question is, are my speculations based off of internet rumor really mean that 1:7 rifling isn't the be all to end all? Does it really hurt ballistics significantly? Does it over-stabilize a round that was designed to yaw and destabilize into soft tissue? Or did I just answer my own question?

I have Ar's in both 1/7 and 1/9 and use 55gr all the time and it shoots fine for slow walking zombies, however I would get a 1/9 if I was mostly going to run 55gr.

I have Ar's in both 1/7 and 1/9 and use 55gr all the time and it shoots fine for slow walking zombies, however I would get a 1/9 if I was mostly going to run 55gr.

I figured if the zombie apocalypse came, this zombie gun would be tossed to the lady....and I'm assuming there would be quite a bit more 55gr hanging around than green tip in my safe. 1:9 is probably the smart route.....but then again, downed military and weapons caches may prove a viable source of high end green tip and 70+ gr rounds....thus rendering the 1:9 innacurate and the 1:7 perfect. Decisions....

what should I do

Which one is the 77gr? or was it less....hmm. Thank you for the clarification.

Only 77gr I've ever heard of was the Mk262, intended for a designated marksman type rifle. In 5 years of active duty I never saw any.

A few issues here:

1) 55gr only fragments under 300 yards, after that terminal ballistics is crap, you're just trying to poke enough holes to bleed targets out or get lucky and immobilize them.

2) In a zombie apocalypse you'll need to be making head shots as they're the only ones that count to stop the threat. Terminal ballistics and fragmentation is a moot point when shooting someone in the head.

Get the 1:7 so you can start using your 55gr for target practice and start stocking up for SHTF with 62gr M855 so you can kill zombies more effectively thru barriers such as cars and walls.

I have a 1:9 stainless steel (ss) barrel in the M4gery and shoot 55 gr. ammo with it. 62 gr. works well too. This one is for the wifey if the world ends.

I use a 1:7 full length White Oak ss SDM or SPR barrel on the other ARs and use 77 gr. OTM for hunting and 75 gr. Wolf JHPs for practice. 62 gr. works well too.

Magpul has saved me because I use different color Magpul bumper pads on the bottoms of the 30-round 55 gr. or 77 gr. mags to keep the ammo separate. I should just buy the 62 gr. and load them in both.

A few issues here:

1) 55gr only fragments under 300 yards, after that terminal ballistics is crap, you're just trying to poke enough holes to bleed targets out or get lucky and immobilize them.

I wonder if terminal ballistics is so much of an issue when dealing with the undead. I would think that one head shot would be as good as another. Body shots would be pretty ineffective at any range with 5.56. Now .50 beowulf might be good for slowing them down, so that should be kept in mind as well.

If you're shooting 80 grain bullets at 600+ yards you want 1/7 (or maybe even 1/6.) For typical "tactical" style stuff at shorter ranges I prefer 1/9, but honestly it probably doesn't make much difference.

They do make .223/5.56 that is HP and SP. why not use those for your fantasy world

Hey I have an idea, how about just admit you have a crush on me so we can all just get over it when you stalk my threads? I am just looking for an excuse to build another, I wanted to get the true deal with 1:7 vs 1:9 in conjuction with it's ballistics with 55gr vs 62+ when impacting what would be soft tissue replicating material (IE: test gel).

and I understand they make it in HP and SP and everything else under the sun, but we weren't talking about that now were we? We were talking basic gr. weight in conjuction with barrel twist. Next time you want a hug, just ask. No need to kick me in the shins. ;)

Next question, 1:7 I stick with noveske....who do I go with for 1:9? Would noveske do a 1:9 with a switchblock for me if I requested?

Hey I have an idea, how about just admit you have a crush on me so we can all just get over it when you stalk my threads?

Oh you got me there, I'm just jealous of all the e-blowing you do to Derek.

Next question, 1:7 I stick with noveske....who do I go with for 1:9? Would noveske do a 1:9 with a switchblock for me if I requested?

Switchblock [rofl]

Oh you got me there, I'm just jealous of all the e-blowing you do to Derek.

Switchblock [rofl]

Eblowing? It's busting balls. You really do have a crush on me don't you....you certainly stalk every thread I start. I could say something out loud right now about some s*it you've been saying, but I'll leave that to PM's, I'm not a 16 year old cheerleader. I say things to someones face, and again, if you met me, I 100% guarantee you wouldn't even look me in the eyes. No pity for a coward. Not trying to start an e-brawl, but I'm sick of you running your mouth.

Switchblock....yeah the noveske switchblock....I don't understand as to why that's funny....

So now an informative thread is going to get locked cause you can't leave well enough alone. Congratulations, You've officially gone full retard.

no, full retard would be me recommending you get an AK for the zombie apocalypse because AR-15s are black garbage.

while I'm at it, I'll suggest 5.45mm caliber because it's the poison bullet. Twist rate? What's that.

no, full retard would be me recommending you get an AK for the zombie apocalypse because AR-15s are black garbage.

while I'm at it, I'll suggest 5.45mm caliber because it's the poison bullet. Twist rate? What's that.

My personal shtf rifle is 100% not an AR, battle rifle only territory. DSA or bust, FAL vs all others pound for pound....it's a beast.

That's what makes it do funny

? cause it's for something not available in MA? that makes it stupid? All the lowers advertised on here have an auto group, but no sear....doesn't mean we don't buy them for shitzngiggle....this is america man, we make buy things we don't need, because we can. It's a gimmick. I understand this. However, it's one more piece of hardware on my gun made by noveske. So, with enough vltor, noveske, and LMT on my gun, I get mad street cred sucka, and rep points. Oh snap, and in a few years when the gun prices go through the roof, that one little piece that will probably be banned....will probably make my gun worth a hell of alot more because people with pre-ban supressors (assuming they ban supressors nationwide) will buy it for a killing. I know I can't have them here, so don't even start sparky.

By the way....You went full retard, again.

Last edited:
overweight_man_eating_popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom