Bad vendor policy

Area 419 – Precision Comes Standard looks like a dog friendly vendor with some really cool products.

But, I have never heard of such an obnoxious policy:
If you feel your package was lost or stolen, or there was damage that resulted in lost/broken product, the first step is to file a claim with the carrier. Many of our packages are UPS these days, but there are still a good number going USPS. This is an issue that must be dealt with via the shipper first. At the time the shipper deems the case closed and the package lost, Area 419 may replace the product at a discounted rate. This replacement is at the sole discretion of Area 419.

First, the carrier will not accept a claim by the recipient. It is the shipper who is the customer. And "discounted rate at our sole discretion if our shipment does not arrive". Not very customer friendly. I ry to avoid dealing with vendors who are obsessed with making sure every single transaction turns a profit, rather than handling this sort of thing in a more Amazonian manner.

The Gemtech kind of "non-warranty" is common, however, some companies with that disclaimer have built an excellent reputation for post purchase service. I believe Ruger and Glock both have such "non-warranty" policies but excellent reputations for service.

Area 419 – Precision Comes Standard looks like a dog friendly vendor with some really cool products.

First, the carrier will not accept a claim by the recipient. It is the shipper who is the customer. And "discounted rate at our sole discretion if our shipment does not arrive". Not very customer friendly. I ry to avoid dealing with vendors who are obsessed with making sure every single transaction turns a profit, rather than handling this sort of thing in a more Amazonian manner.
I hope not to ever need legal advice but you really get into the weeds!

Add to that, 419 creates products at a premium $$$. Which, one would generally expect, white-glove service.

So, I do wonder, do they (419) specifically call out freight-on-board origin? If not, what is the default standard when shipping via a common-carrier?

The actuall shipper is the customer of the carrier. That means it's them, not their customer. Bad policy, I agree.

See -> Try to buy very high end car (Looking at you Ferrari)
Yes, dealing with Ferrari customer service is a real pain. My assistant had to spend 45min on the phone, which distracted her and took her an additional 2 minutes to have my coffee ready causing the coffee to cool down and not be at the perfect temperature of 125.5 degrees.

What were we talking about? [smile]

@Rob Boudrie ... they don't provide insurance for their $1275 press + $70 dust cover?

I would expect that anyone dropping any serious money would lay the $5 or whatever it costs to insure it.

Many companies are adopting this policy bc of false claims of customers not receiving product. Not to mention just the amount of packages that truly go missing. the shipping company 99.9999% of the time will say that the package has been delivered to the on file address which in turn will cause the shipper to wash their hands of it and have good reason to do so.

Purchase additional insurance. Pickup at lock PO or fed ex or ups. Request a signature etc

Many companies are adopting this policy bc of false claims of customers not receiving product. Not to mention just the amount of packages that truly go missing. the shipping company 99.9999% of the time will say that the package has been delivered to the on file address which in turn will cause the shipper to wash their hands of it and have good reason to do so.

Purchase additional insurance. Pickup at lock PO or fed ex or ups. Request a signature etc
So only one out of a million times claims with a shipper is honored? I knew it was bad, just didn't know it was that bad.

Yes, dealing with Ferrari customer service is a real pain. My assistant had to spend 45min on the phone, which distracted her and took her an additional 2 minutes to have my coffee ready causing the coffee to cool down and not be at the perfect temperature of 125.5 degrees.

What were we talking about? [smile]

as for Ferrari, I had to total a Ferrari once because the local Ferrari dealer was telling the shop (real high end shop too) the parts were 4 to 6 weeks out, and they were not arriving when promised... they finally came back and said one part would take a year to get.

The kicker was I told the insurer ( AIG) early on they needed to total the car due to parts concerns.... the Adjuster disagreed and insisted the repair go forward.... in the end they paid the car owner 250K (agreed value policy) plus about 60K in parts to the shop that did arrive, and labor on repairs already started ( including 14 hours at $125/hr to finish the hood... you gottta see Ferrari parts.... they come unfinished ) PLUS the shop got inside storage for every day they did not work on the car.

And that was not the most expensive car I totaled that day, I did a Mercedes that they paid out 500K on....

I may have exaggerated w the .9999, but the shipping co tracks things pretty closely. Truck, sometimes drivers, GPS location of where package is scanned etc.

Request a signature etc

Ya that works. I had a Sig pistol sent to me via FedEx, signature required. FedEx ignored the required signature or forged it and left package sitting on my front doorstep. Funny thing is I was inside waiting for delivery because I knew it required a signature.

Ya that works. I had a Sig pistol sent to me via FedEx, signature required. FedEx ignored the required signature or forged it and left package sitting on my front doorstep. Funny thing is I was inside waiting for delivery because I knew it required a signature.
The form had a signature. Not just yours. :)

I may have exaggerated w the .9999, but the shipping co tracks things pretty closely. Truck, sometimes drivers, GPS location of where package is scanned etc.
That's BS, it is very common to have packages left at other places with nothing in common with the street name or #, it has been happening more and more and that is 100% on the shipping company.
Not a day goes by that I don't hear or see a post about missing packages the shipper posts as being delivered, many of these show up the next day when the wrong recipient will hand deliver to the right address.

meh. Is weak but not as weak as gemtech’s “warranty”

Guess I won't be buying any Rugers then! :D
"The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as “limited” or as “full” and sets minimum standards for a “full” warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either “limited” or “full”, rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger® firearms."

I had a gun dropped off at the wrong address. I called Fedex, explained what happened (Fedex claimed delivered, recipient gunsmith did not get it). Fedex sent someone out to pick up the package and redeliver it and I had a refund check from them delivered the next morning.

I don't think they forced it - I think the driver probably signed it himself. I had a driver tell me it was a covid policy to reduce person to person contact.
how convenient for them. The concept of responsibility is severely lacking in today's society...another signs of the times

Last edited:
Yes, well, I have many misdelivered here, but the old place we frequently got packages intended for other people and sometimes didn't get something that claims it was delivered.

One notable odyssey had my package bouncing literally all over the country ultimately being delivered to some shanty in Louisiana. According to the shipping progress notes.

My favorite was a delivery note stating the item had been left inside the mailbox. It was a stationary bike.

Amazon delivery (the people that shit in your yard) sometimes take a photo of the package on your doorstep, but here in the sticks they appear to always hand off the last mile to UPS or USPS.

I found a UPS package blowing in the wind - literally, it was rather light. The neighbor whose doorstep I delivered it to had a Ring style camera and went out of his way to thank me, and was surprised the package had made it as far as the middle of the street.

I don't think they forced it - I think the driver probably signed it himself. I had a driver tell me it was a covid policy to reduce person to person contact.
As long as they signed their own name. As soon as they sign someone else's it becomes forgery I believe.

I also heard the same thing. FedEx dropped signatures during Covid. Not sure if they have resumed them.

Best shipping experience I had was with arm or ally, package said it was delivered but I didn’t get it, sent them an email and they opened a claim with the shipper who claimed they dropped it on the front porch (I didn’t have a porch at the time) and sent arm or ally the GPS log from the truck/package. Arm or Ally checked it against some mapping and found it was most likely the neighbor 1street over in line with my house.

They called me a couple days later and let me know they had shipped all new products out to me at their cost because the shipper didn’t agree with their assessment of the situation, only thing they asked is that I would sue them if/when I needed more parts which I have.

I was getting some car part delivered years ago when I was a teen living with my parents, insurance and signature required USPS delivered it and the driver “signed” their own name only it was printed so you could actually read it, package got stolen off the porch and the packaging material was found in front of my neighbors house. My mom went to the post office and ripped them a new one, never saw that delivery lady at the post office or out doing deliveries after that, I’d assume they just shifted her to another location but still satisfying.

You'd think all the carriers would do the same as Amazon. Tablet records the GPS coordinates on delivery and driver takes a photo. Not perfect but at least you know at one point in time said package was there.

Same happened to me with my BFR during COVID. Dude left the gun there, I opened the door as he was getting in his truck.

I yelled ... "WTF ... SINCE I DIDNT SIGN THAT MEANS I NEVER RECEIVED THIS PACKAGE" - the guy wasn't laughing, but f*ck him.

At that point i guess you just call your credit card company and file fraud since you paid for something you never got.

lol, i came home one early evening last winter and there were 5 pizza boxes on my front steps. after drinking all day i was hungry as a bear, but didn't touch them, just left them there. my plan was to go out in the morning and rescue the bottom pizzas. the ones the raccoons didn't munch on. afterall, it was winter and they'd be frozen...ready to reheat. someone picked them up. don't know if it was the driver who delivered them that returned after getting that "where's my pizzas" call or the rightful owner was scanning the hood for the delivery. bottom line, no free pizza for me. even the other delivery guys screw up.

Back
Top Bottom