Bad Gun Shop Stories (Village Sports Westport, MA Rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks. :)

I just wanted to share with everyone a few encounters I have had with a local gun shop that I deem to be lackluster in hopes others can avoid them in their travels. If the information may be useful to someone it's my obligation to forewarn the very few that I can at least.

Village Sports of Westport MA has continuously steered me in the wrong direction with gun shop fish tales and white lies. The typical stereotype gun shop owners that will tell tales or fear mongering rhetoric just so you buy from them and get scared to try other places. But that isn't even the worst of it. The worst of it is they seem to be extremely unknowledgeable of guns in general.

Lie #1- The first lie they told me is the classic good o'l gun shop "Big box stores get inferior ammo and end run ammo. Gun shops get higher quality rounds" lie. In which I have been told twice on two seperate occasions at Village. Many of the you kind folks many months ago confirmed this as a lie. I have since bought my ammo for cheaper at box stores and have never had a problem.

Lie #2- As many of you may know, just recently I purchased my dream gun M1 Garand. After frequenting many forums here, in the post with many experts who have owend them for years and on the CMP I have confirmed that you do not want to fire commerical 30-06 through a M1 Garand and want to buy specific Ball Ammo either made by federal, hornady or reload your own. I go into Village just today in search of the federal American eagle made for M1. My dad and I run by them what we were looking for and they basically long and the short of it told us that you can fire any 30-06 ammo through a M1 and that anyone who says otherwise was lying and an idiot. They tried selling me some hot 180 grain federals. They said a special M1 Garand ammo doesn't exist and that I can run my remington Core Lokts through it.

Lie #3- I go into village about a year ago and find a nice Arisaka bolt action real cheap. Curious if it'll fire I ask the gentlemen if it'll fire or if it's been tested. He says "I test every gun I sell and wouldn't sell anything if it didn't fire". I then ask him if he has the ammo that goes with it. (7.7x58) He tells me "No, I haven't gotten any in years and don't know where you could get any" So..... You tested it, fired it but you don't have any of the rounds and have no idea where to get them? Ok then....

Long and the short of it is, Shooting Supply are much more knowledgeable and are less likely to lie, are cheaper and are a much better gun shop less than a mile further down the road. I don't know if this info is useful to anyone but figured i'd reccomend shooting supply for anyone finding themselves locally around westport MA.

What are some bad gun stories you have throughout your journeys? :)

One I heard at the S&W shooting sports center before it was shut down was the old "you can't use pre-ban magazines in a post-ban gun". That one has made the rounds for quite some time, but has no basis in the law.

I don’t get worked up about it. Most shops I visit don’t have super knowledgeable people. You can learn a lot more here on NES and elsewhere on the web than what you will encounter for knowledge in many stores. So I basically make sure I am educated before I go to a store and don’t put any trust in what the employees might tell me. Once you go in with that mindset, you get less of a headache when they start talking nonsense. And if a shop has something I want that is hard to find, I get it. Not going to let some boob bum me out enough to not get what I want. I’ve been to that shop before on several occasions and never had a bad experience. On one occasion it was clear that the guy I spoke with wasn’t up to speed on the subject we discussed, so I was just polite and moved on. No big deal.

I don’t get worked up about it. Most shops I visit don’t have super knowledgeable people. You can learn a lot more here on NES and elsewhere on the web than what you will encounter for knowledge in many stores. So I basically make sure I am educated before I go to a store and don’t put any trust in what the employees might tell me. Once you go in with that mindset, you get less of a headache when they start talking nonsense. And if a shop has something I want that is hard to find, I get it. Not going to let some boob bum me out enough to not get what I want. I’ve been to that shop before on several occasions and never had a bad experience. On one occasion it was clear that the guy I spoke with wasn’t up to speed on the subject we discussed, so I was just polite and moved on. No big deal.
You just moved on, great. What about a new person looking for advise?

Haven't been to Village and don't plan on it, but the only thing I can add is stay away from Pheasant Ridge in Seekonk. I had a bad experience there and won't let it happen again.

I was a new person once too. You learn from talking to a lot of fellow enthusiasts (like at your club) and people on this website, other websites and on the web generally as well as books. There is a ton of information out there and, unfortunately, it is not typically found at shops. As a simple example, you will never learn anything about Massachusetts firearm laws by talking to anybody at a gun shop.

I hate Shooting Supply. They’re prices are too good. They’re way too friendly and accommodating. And they’re too far from me to get there on a regular basis.
I wish they would move to the metro west area.

I was a new person once too. You learn from talking to a lot of fellow enthusiasts (like at your club) and people on this website, other websites and on the web generally as well as books. There is a ton of information out there and, unfortunately, it is not typically found at shops. As a simple example, you will never learn anything about Massachusetts firearm laws by talking to anybody at a gun shop.

Exactly, just like you’ll never learn anything about MA firearms law by talking to a cop. Ask three cops or three gun shop employees a question about gun law and you’ll get three (or six) different answers, all of which they will swear is gospel truth. Take a course either from Len2A or from Jon Greene at GOAL.

Village has had a poor reputation for years. I heard the owners were police and they leaned towards the shady side of things. Didn't one of the dudes get bagged for having a ton of unsecured firearms at home? I think he was raided by state police so there were lots of rumors flying around.

Shooting Sports is much better. I've only been in a few times but it was decent. Much closer than 4S for me.

Your better off just taking a bit more time. To learn what you need before going into the shop.
Just ordering PPU M2 ball by mail would have saved you time and money. I can almost say for certain if Village did have any of the M1 safe ammo it would be $$$$.
Find a club hosting a cmp event and get some ammo there and shoot too.
As far as M1 safe ammo is concerened its really hard to tell if a ammo is "safe" or not with out knowing the burn rate of the powder. Yes its true your M1 most likely will survive all but the brute 220 grain 2500+fps 30-06 ....heck the M1 likely will survive those also....BUT why take the chance with a 50 plus year old rifle you have no idea what its been through and also op rods are not cheap so theres really no good reason to shoot anything that could do damage, the op rod is the weak point when using powders outside the safe zone
A gun shop that does not know where to get ammo bothers me to. Its not hard to find 7.7 jap. Heck they probably have not even looked since bannermans went under.

Last edited:
OP- Village Sports is correct.

1) the finest ammo on earth goes to the smallest gun shops. truth.
2) M1 garand will run smoothest on 300 win mag. truth.
3) My Arisaka runs best on 8mm mauser. push hard on bolt. smooth like butter. truth.

--

man if i kept track of the retarded shit I heard in gun shops i would have a charles dickens book full of bullshit. it used to frustrate me. now i find the false information straight up brilliant. sometimes I ask the retards to expound on their knowledge. the most challenging part is holding back tears of laughter.

below is a youtube post from mixflip. stuff like this is priceless.
"I was in a shop an a weirdo looked down the muzzle of a handgun (i forget the model not that it matters) and tell me..."you have to check the spirals on used guns to make sure they are going the right way".

I disagree. I have learned a TON of wrong stuff in gun shops.

Stay far away from Northshore firearms..
Unless you want to get swatted.

OP- Village Sports is correct.
1) the finest ammo on earth goes to the smallest gun shops. truth.
2) M1 garand will run smoothest on 300 win mag. truth.
3) My Arisaka runs best on 8mm mauser. push hard on bolt. smooth like butter. truth.
--
man if i kept track of the retarded shit I heard in gun shops i would have a charles dickens book full of bullshit. it used to frustrate me. now i find the false information straight up brilliant. sometimes I ask the retards to expound on their knowledge. the most challenging part is holding back tears of laughter.

below is a youtube post from mixflip. stuff like this is priceless.
"I was in a shop an a weirdo looked down the muzzle of a handgun (i forget the model not that it matters) and tell me..."you have to check the spirals on used guns to make sure they are going the right way".
After a while the ones in plastic guns can get squared off (instead of round) and they're no good anymore.

Last edited:
A new shooter asked me to accompany him to the shop to buy a 45 and 22 pistol.

me w/friend who says "Looks good, I'll take it" (Colt stainless 1911)

me:Great. We need to inspect the inside for tool marks. Can I field strip or would you (shop owner) prefer to do it?

shop owner: That gun is not getting stripped until it is paid for

me: What if we find a big ugly tool mark?

shop owner: At that point you will own the gun, not us, so you can deal with Colt.

(Collectors coin gallery 25 years ago when the Elicones owned it)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When discussing the features of a expensive handgun:

Clerk: I am well connected with the factory and know those guys.

Me: Any updates on the dog?

Clerk: What dog?

Me: The one that got hit by a car - you know, Gabrielle. If you are well connected with the factory you would certainly know about that.'

Clerk: No, they didn't mention it to me

At a very good shop that no longer has this BS artist on staff.

A new shooter asked me to accompany him to the shop to buy a 45 and 22 pistol.

me w/friend who says "Looks good, I'll take it" (Colt stainless 1911)

me:Great. We need to inspect the inside for tool marks. Can I field strip or would you (shop owner) prefer to do it?

shop owner: That gun is not getting stripped until it is paid for

me: What if we find a big ugly tool mark?

shop owner: At that point you will own the gun, not us, so you can deal with Colt.

(Collectors coin gallery 25 years ago when the Elicones owned it)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When discussing the features of a expensive handgun:

Clerk: I am well connected with the factory and know those guys.

Me: Any updates on the dog?

Clerk: What dog?

Me: The one that got hit by a car - you know, Gabrielle. If you are well connected with the factory you would certainly know about that.'

Clerk: No, they didn't mention it to me

At a very good shop that no longer has this BS artist on staff.
OMG!!! Gabrielle got hit by a car?

Lol...my buddy bought a pistol at the same shop. Had an issue and sent it back to the manufacturer via the shop. Long story short they called him when it came back in and gave him someone else’s gun (same model etc). Best part is when he discovered it and contacted them they blamed him. Was with him when he brought it back to swap for his pistol and laughed heartily the whole time.

I have found shooting supply to have great prices, tons of reloading equipment and an extremely friendly staff that don’t have the “I know more than you do” attitude. I see no reason to go to Village with Shooting supply literally down he street.

Your better off just taking a bit more time. To learn what you need before going into the shop.
Just ordering PPU M2 ball by mail would have saved you time and money. I can almost say for certain if Village did have any of the M1 safe ammo it would be $$$$.
Find a club hosting a cmp event and get some ammo there and shoot too.
As far as M1 safe ammo is concerened its really hard to tell if a ammo is "safe" or not with out knowing the burn rate of the powder. Yes its true your M1 most likely will survive all but the brute 220 grain 2500+fps 30-06 ....heck the M1 likely will survive those also....BUT why take the chance with a 50 plus year old rifle you have no idea what its been through and also op rods are not cheap so theres really no good reason to shoot anything that could do damage, the op rod is the weak point when using powders outside the safe zone
A gun shop that does not know where to get ammo bothers me to. Its not hard to find 7.7 jap. Heck they probably have not even looked since bannermans went under.

I ended up doing exactly as you said and ordered the PPU for M1 Garand off targetsportsusa.com. It sure was hassle free and not much more expensive than Walmart was getting for the commercial on sale rem stuff. It's even cheaper if I go the bulk route which I plan on doing soon.

I agree with this very much. I have learned so much more and was never lied to here on NES. Anytime I do research and feel like i'm being steered wrong I always double check and usually avoid being fooled by quality advice from the kind folks on here :). I guess a gun shop is in the business of making money and lies can make money some times. I'm glad shooting supply will be honest with their customers regardless if they steer a purchase away.

OMG!!! Gabrielle got hit by a car?
That was many years ago (long enough that the high school student who was Gabrielle's buddy has now become a Vet, and not the kind that means military service.

The dog had surgery and survived, but with the passing of years, I believe she is deceased since I did not see her at the factory.

Reactions: Lip
When my son wanted to hunt with the garand, I bought the garand gear gas plug to be able to shoot all commercial ammo.

Most of the time I still use garand safe reloads or american eagle.

Some gun shops suck. Thats just a fact of life. Ware Gun Shop is or was one around me that sucks ass and I would never visit again.

I have done business with both Village Sports and Shooting Supply. At Village Sports I deal with Gordon who is very knowledgeable. When I asked a question about a P220 two employees at Shooting Sports told me there was no such gun and I must mean a P320. So you deal with that stuff everywhere. I continue to shop at both stores.

Yeah, even with all the dicks on NES, it is still the best place for accurate advice about firearms in Massachusetts. OP, I am sure you have figured it out already, but if you get a reply/ advice from LenS, Rob Boudrie, Dr. Grant, Knuckle Dragger, Terraformer, and a few others, you can take that shit to the bank.

I'm getting into reloading to solve my garand ammo problem, I'd rather not pay the markup for the factory garand safe loads, and all the surplus has pretty much dried up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom