• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bad eyesight at the range

Gually

NES Member
Hey guys and gals,
I'm reaching out with a question for a buddy of mine that I go to the range with. He's got bad central vision so it's sometimes hard for him to pick up perfectly on his sights (specifically iron sights on an M&P Shield Plus) so that results in him often being off target a little bit. I'm trying to find something that might help him pick up his sights a little better so I was wondering if anyone out there with a similar situation knows of something hands free, perhaps zoomed/magnified safety glasses or some other kind of wearable visual aid? They way he explains it, there's this little blurry blotch in the center of his vision that interferes a little with picking up on his sights 100% and he thinks something that can zoom in just a little bit to help him better see from that distance between his eyes to his pistol sights.
Thanks guys!

Welcome to NES !

Not to be a smart-ass, but how about glasses ? I have 2 pair - one for reading, one for far away distances -- I keep the latter in the car and they're always there when I need them at the range.

Yes, bifocals would solve my particular problem, but I'm not ready for that level of commitment. [laugh]

Hey guys and gals,
I'm reaching out with a question for a buddy of mine that I go to the range with. He's got bad central vision so it's sometimes hard for him to pick up perfectly on his sights (specifically iron sights on an M&P Shield Plus) so that results in him often being off target a little bit. I'm trying to find something that might help him pick up his sights a little better so I was wondering if anyone out there with a similar situation knows of something hands free, perhaps zoomed/magnified safety glasses or some other kind of wearable visual aid? They way he explains it, there's this little blurry blotch in the center of his vision that interferes a little with picking up on his sights 100% and he thinks something that can zoom in just a little bit to help him better see from that distance between his eyes to his pistol sights.
Thanks guys!
I’ve found safety glasses at Lowe’s/Home Depot that have a magnification diopter built in. IIRC there were 2 different strengths.

I have probably the worst nearsightedness vision on this forum. Ive learned how to overcome with utilizing aids and i can shoot iron sights out to 600 yds . Yes its a real challenge, no im never going to obtain top level accuracy, but i can shoot with good consistency. Try first having your target colors contrast in color to the handgun sights . I use cheap white 9" paper plates with a 3" bright orange round sticker for my target. This should increase the contrast and make it easier to obtain a precise target aim picture .

Welcome to NES !

Not to be a smart-ass, but how about glasses ? I have 2 pair - one for reading, one for far away distances -- I keep the latter in the car and they're always there when I need them at the range.

Yes, bifocals would solve my particular problem, but I'm not ready for that level of commitment. [laugh]
Haha

Yes I've been looking into some full lens magnified safety glasses as another person commented. My eyesight isn't the best either so I might try out a pair too 😉

A red-dot optic might help for both target and defensive use. For defensive pistol, forgetting the sights exist and practicing point shooting might work out better than sighted shooting if central vision is degraded.

He needs to see an ophthalmologist ASAP. Poor central vision could be the result of something as simple as cataracts (I had my fixed in two 20 minute sessions and my vision is now better than when I first started wearing glasses for nearsightedness in kindergarten) to something as serious as Macular Degeneration. In any case, just ignoring it and trying to find work arounds is not going to help and in the worst case can lead to permanent vision loss.

He needs to see an ophthalmologist ASAP. Poor central vision could be the result of something as simple as cataracts (I had my fixed in two 20 minute sessions and my vision is now better than when I first started wearing glasses for nearsightedness in kindergarten) to something as serious as Macular Degeneration. In any case, just ignoring it and trying to find work arounds is not going to help and in the worst case can lead to permanent vision loss.
Yes, this right here.

That’s a tricky situation, Using irons There is this paint you can put on it that really helps.
Usually people have issues with the holographic sites… If you’re doing Bullseye shooting.. It can be tricky when I look through it looks like the big dipper.

It may sound like a stupid suggestion but you have to keep both your eyes open regardless..

I basically just aim with my shoulders if it’s not like a competition shoot.

You should have one eyed jack chime in on this one he’ll have the answer

A red-dot optic might help for both target and defensive use. For defensive pistol, forgetting the sights exist and practicing point shooting might work out better than sighted shooting if central vision is degraded.
This right here. Point shooting for defensive purposes. If you can point your finger. You can shoot.

As for target shooting. I'd say see a Dr. A loss of central vision won't be helped with magnification.

A few weeks ago I was at the Adaptive Defensive Shooting Summit at Sig working as an RO. We had a couple of people with sight issues. Ones of the guys was using a laser on his pistol. It worked very well for him and he was very accurate. Your friend might want to consider checking one out.

With "bad central vision" , there are several possible causes. Some fixable, some not. He should see an eye doctor to determine the root cause of the problem. After a diagnosis, the options will be easier to determine............

All of this. Stop putting it off... tell him to see a doctor.

Trip to the Doc is paramount.
I have multifocal contacts that really help with iron sights but my distance glasses that correct astigmatisms with a red dot is the best combo.

Don't screw around with your eyes

Don't you find it difficult to focus on the front sight with a pair of distance glasses?

You friend needs to visit @Idoktr
Yup, Doctor Stu is our resident eye guy. Top notch.

My eyes are just a little old, I get 1.25 or 1.5x safety glasses and they work great for me. Not sure if that will help your buddy, but it is easy enough to try.
I even got some tinted 1.25 ones for riding the bike and it makes reading the signs much easier. good luck to him and welcome.

Get to the doctor.
Cataracts, Macular degeneration, Diabetic/hypertensive retinopathy..whatever. He needs to find out. Modern medicine is incredible, Need to figure it out sooner rather than later.

I'm no eye Doc, but I spend enough time in front of a couple of them to know.

Hey guys and gals,
Thanks guys!
Your buddy really needs to see an eye doc as soon as possible. A problem with central vision should not ignored. PM me if he needs help getting set up

Your buddy really needs to see an eye doc as soon as possible. A problem with central vision should not ignored. PM me if he needs help getting set up
It's an irreversible genetic optic nerve issue so unfortunately there's no corrective options surgical or nonsurgical. Only thing that really helps is magnification or zooming in but of course magnification doesn't help with distance and zooming doesn't help with up close. Mostly it's trial and error with various visual aids to see what helps the best.

Back
Top Bottom