Bad day at the range with the 357

I will post the lot numbers later. I’m not home. I checked the 38’s and 357. No pressure issues at all.

Thanks. Sorry for being over-inquisitive. Whenever I see one of these threads I like to ask for posterity and historical purposes, for the benefit of anyone who ever googles 'ruger security six barrel separation' 'ruger barrel thread failure' 'remington .38 LRNSJ overpressure' etc etc.

I make a habit of checking the timing, inspecting the forcing cone, checking spent cases for overpressure, and checking the throat of the bbl.

None of these would prepare you for a metallurgical failure. I think only an XRay or some kind of ultrasound test would be able to tell you, maybe.

Don't even bother wasting your money shipping it back to Ruger, they won't fix it, you're screwed.

Ruger Parts & Service

There are no parts and no service available for the below discontinued products that were produced in Newport, NH.

Red Label Shotguns (serial # beginning with "400-" or "410-")
10/22 Magnum Rifles
New Model Single-Six SSM
Trap Shotgun
Single Six
.17 Hunter Convertible
Mach 2 Cylinders
.44 Magnum Carbine Rifles (original model)
Red Label Wood Side
M77 Mark II Rifles in Short Ultra-Mag Calibers
96 Series Lever Action
Gold Label Shotgun
M77 Mark II Express Rifles
Old Army
AC-556
77/50 Blackpowder Rifles
Deerfield
.357 Maximum Revolvers
Security Six Revolvers
Hawkeye Pistols
180 Series Mini-14 rifles (serial # beginning with "180-")
No. 3 Rifles
Tang Safety Model 77 Rifles
PC Carbines (PC4 and PC9)

Here is the lot number for the ammo. I don’t think that the ammo is the issue though. If something was double charged from the factory, wouldn’t the frame sustain outward damage instead of just the barrel blowing off?

Attachments

• CF7062E5-D60B-4BE3-B8A4-F84151A2FD0B.jpeg
    CF7062E5-D60B-4BE3-B8A4-F84151A2FD0B.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 46
Have to ask if that revolver was made to eat .357 Magnum rounds... AFAIK, if it's not marked for '357 Magnum' it's not [usually] a good idea to run those through it. If it's not, even if you ran those through before, you could have been building up to this failure for some time.

Glad my GP100 is rated (on the barrel) for .357 Magnum rounds.

It’s a true 357. I wouldn’t want to be the one to try to shoot a 357 with just any lesser revolver!
Ok, couldn't tell from the pic you posted showing the damage... Might be worth sending a message off to Ruger to SEE what they'll do (if anything) for ya. Or you could find something else to do with it. Beer tap handle comes to mind. [rofl2]

Not an expert by any means, but it sort of looks like that jagged section of the break may have been broken for a while.

Ruger will not touch this, their defense will be "who knows what was shot out of it in the past 30 or so years". Best bet is to pay the shooters medical bills and buy him a 22 revolver to build confidence back up. Maybe offer him a new package of underwear also.

For a number of reasons I don't like to give new shooters a revolver. One is that if they happen to put their hand next to the cylinder gap they can get seriously hurt. Also its not always clear whether it going to put a live round in the chamber, because you can get confused as which way the cylinder will rotate when advanced. Also, with a semi auto, there's less felt recoil.

very odd...is that a stainless security 6? looks like it needs a trip to Ruger's metallographers... you'd think that overpressure would give a longitudinal split (circumferential stress) & show signs of yielding.... & that any bar/extrusion flaws would be in a longitudinal direction as well...

It’s a Security Six. In good shape, far from shot out
Ruger no longer supports the Security Six. I need a part for one back before 1987 (when I moved to the DPRM) and have to get it from Numrich Arms since Ruger informed me no parts available.

Maybe they will replace it with a GP100.

Back
Top Bottom